“Wonderful weekend”

Ranked #31 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Newcastle
“Wonderful weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Myself, husband and two friends have just returned from Nice after a wonderful break. The AC Hotel is only a short walk along the promenade to the shops, along the way there are some lovely hotels, bars and restaurants where you can sit and relax. We ate in the hotel restaurant the first night because we arrived late and were recommended a lovely bottle of wine from the waiter. We stayed in a de-luxe sea view room on the 7th floor which was modern, spacious and clean. We arrived to find a bottle of champagne and macaroons which was a fab welcome. The hotel is not directly on the sea front but the view from our room was gorgeous. The rooms are very quiet, they have some sort of padded wall covering, we slept really well. The view from the pool area on the room was great and a good place to sit and relax if that's your thing. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and pleasant waiting staff. Me and my friend visited guest toilets in the Hotel de Paris, West End and Negresco and have to say that the ones in the AC Hotel topped all of them for cleanliness. The only gripe I have is that there is a small fridge in the room and they supply bottled water but you have to pay €4 for it, I would have thought that a hotel chain such as Marriott could absorb the cost of water to guests in the price of the rooms. All in all it is a good hotel and we'd stay there again.

Room Tip: De-luxe sea view rooms on the 7th floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KazNewcastle
B_BUSSCHER, General Manager at AC Hotel Nice, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear KazNewcastle,

Thank you for your feedback via Tripadvisor. We are really glad to read that we have made your stay 'wonderful' because of our rooms, breakfast, staffing, cleanliness and rooftop.

Therefore we are even more glad to welcome you back in the future.

AC Hotel Nice

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed in a Guest room City view. The standard was good, although the room was quite small. Upon check in, we had no toilet paper and no soap in the bathroom and it took a while to get it. On the third day we received all amenities. The minibar was empty in order for guests to put their own things there, which was good.

The lobby is nice and wi-fi is free of charge there. The bar and restaurant is in the same area with quite a nice garden for dining outside. However, the quality of food in the restaurant was so so and therefore quite pricy. Have a drink there but go outside for dinner.
Breakfast good, not that big variety but all you need. Fresh orange juice, very tasty! The staff was nice but it took some time to get coffee served unless you wanted coffee from the Nespresso machine. Perhaps they should seat the guests to get a better structure.

The location of the hotel is very good, right by the beach side. You just need to cross the street.
Almost right outside the hotel you have a bus stop and you can easily get to the train station from there. Behind the hotel you have small streets with lots of cafés, bakeries and also a pharmacy in case you need it. Supermarkets are there too.

All in all, a nice hotel, good location and very friendly staff. Would stay there again but in a larger room perhaps.

Room Tip: The city view rooms are very small and you don't get much view. You hear the traffic from the si...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank susemm
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

A very expensive hotel for what you get. What it has going for it is an ideal location, within view of the Promenade des Anglais. The rooftop pool environment is very nice, as well, so if you are a person who likes to spend time poolside at the hotel, you will really enjoy this one. Beautiful view of the Mediterranean Sea, plus a crystal clear pool and lots of comfortable lounge chairs.
The room was standard in size. Although the hotel was recently renovated, the bed is old. The bathroom is very modern. You have to get used to the funky shower, which has no curtain, just a swinging frosted panel covering half the expanse of the shower floor. But the water was very hot—always a welcome aspect for me! Perhaps it was an oversight, but there was no soap dish, and the hotel soap comes in the shape of a sphere! It was very hard to keep from rolling off the counter. There were also no washcloths, and this was the third hotel I’ve been in this month with no washcloths, so maybe it’s a new way hotels are being ecologically-minded. But I do like to use one to wash my face at night, so I missed it.
My biggest annoyance was the lack of free wifi in the room. The room costs over $200 per night (without a view) and I’m a Marriott Rewards member, but still it would have cost an additional $20 per night to get in-room wifi. I’ve stayed at many cheaper hotels that provided free wifi, so I don’t understand why the more expensive ones tend to charge for this convenience.
Another minor annoyance was a feeling we were being “nickeled and dimed.” Upon check-in, we were told that our credit card would be charged for the three nights “plus an additional 150 euros, for incidentals.” What?! Not charged, per se, but there would be a hold on that amount. The bottle of water in the room costs euros ($6).
The breakfast that came with the room cost was definitely worth it. Many options, and it was clear they made an effort to accommodate people’s tastes from a variety of countries. The orange juice was absolutely delicious. As were the pastries. They had a “make-your-own” espresso machine, which was fun to try.

1 Thank Marieeddy9
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Room was a good size for 2, clean and nicely decorated. The roof top pool was closed the whole time we were there which was too bad. Very short walk (5-8 mins) to pedestrian street and downtown. Short bus ride to old port area,10 mins walk to train station (to catch train to Monaco for example). Across the street from the Promenade des Anglais (hotel is actually on a side street) and the start of the beach. Can get the airport bus for around 7 euro and it drops you right off in front. No view from our window.

2 Thank Mimi_ABroad
B_BUSSCHER, General Manager at AC Hotel Nice, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Mimi_ABroad,

We thank you for the time you have taken to share with us your comments and concerns on Tripadvisor and we are glad to hear that you mostly appreciated your recent stay at our property except for the poolarea being closed. It will open end of April, mainly due to the weather conditions that change a lot before the end of April.

So, I do hope you will visit us again and that you can relax on our rooftop!

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

room a little small for 2 but comfortable bedding and a lovely rooftop pool , the valet was most helpful in not only parking , but also fitting back a detached wing mirror internet was decent was only a one day stop but dont know what a marriott is doing in that part of town , i was keen to walk around late at night

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
B_BUSSCHER, General Manager at AC Hotel Nice, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear primemutton,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience during your stay with us.

I am glad to see you have enjoyed the hotel although the location was not to your liking for which I do apologize. It is actually a quite safe area to wander around on the side of the Promenade des Anglais towards the city center.

I do hope you will visit us again!

Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have stayed at many, many Marriott properties over the year and that has allowed me to become a Platinum Elite member. I have seen the very best Marriott has to offer and unfortunately, on this trip, I have seen the very worst Marriott has to offer. I say this in absolute certainty, the AC Hotel in Nice, France is the worst Marriott property I have every experienced. Its management team has not delivered a hotel that is consistent with what we should expect of a Marriott property.

First, the the interior updates to the hotel are cheap and done poorly. As you can see in the attached photos, there is paint splatters everywhere. There is exposed conduit in the room. The beds are old, worn out and torn (see picture). The beds are uncomfortable and will impede your ability to get a good night sleep. It looks like the beds are back from 70's, are worn our and have tears in them. These tears can be a haven for bed bugs and you better check out the mattress before unpacking your clothes. The bathroom is cheaply outfitted and the tubs are narrow; the bottom width of the tub is about an inch wider than the length of my foot. I nearly fell over several time in this narrow tub while taking a shower. The tub is also absent of any anti-slipping guards. The furnishings are cheap and full of face leather. It looks like the hotel hit a sale at Ikea to furnish the rooms. The closets are woefully inadequate. The doors are so wide that it is difficult to insert clothes on hangers and almost 50% of the space in unusable due to poor arrangement and organization. Kleenex, or any other facial tissue paper, was not provided by the bathroom. And worst of all, there is a horrible smell emanating from the hall way. It smells of something so foul, no words can capture the awfulness of this gag inducing stench.

Second, the staff is incompetent and is not helpful. Gilles, the gentlemen who checked me in, was unable to provide the most basic amenities that are offered to other guests at other Marriott properties. And we are talking about physical structures, like spas and things of that sort. We are talking about basic services completed by Marriott hotel staff. His attitude and apparent unwillingness has left a black eye on the hotel. His supervisor, Mario, only provided excuses and hid behind corporate fine print on why he couldn’t help. He said the AC Hotel is not a full service hotel and doesn't offer many of the services that other Marriott hotels offer; however, what I was asking from the hotel were simple services that other non-full service Marriott hotels offer. What Mario was asserting was entirely inconsistent with my experiences at staying over 70+ nights last year at partial service Marriott hotels (ie Courtyards) and I believe his assertions to be a wilful and gross misrepresentation of the truth. He did offer to move my wife and I into another room . . . but does it make sense to take time away from our honeymoon and cancel our plans to move our luggage? No, not at all - we have a honeymoon to enjoy, after all.

Third, the location is awful. It is located near a scummy, disgusting part of the town. Sure, it is a a 1 km to get to the nice parts of Nice, but you have to stroll through the worst parts of town to get there. Think of it like this; do you want to walk through Compton to get to Beverly Hills? No. See the picture of the neighborhood around us. Yes it is close to the beach but I walked passed no less than 2 prostitutes each time I went from the front door to the beach. And I wouldn’t walk anywhere north or west of the hotel at night, unless you feel like getting robbed or worse.

There are nicer hotels down the beach and I suggest going to those. The AC Hotel at Nice will only leave you disappointed. I had a lot of hopes for this hotel, but unfortunately, it felt let down by AC Hotel in Nice and the entire Marriott family of hotels. There is no way to spin or drudge a positive out of this experience; this was the worst hotel experience I have ever had at a Marriott.

6 Thank John A
B_BUSSCHER, General Manager at AC Hotel Nice, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear John A,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion of your stay with us here on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry to hear we did not live up to your expectations as a valued Platinum Elite member.

After a complete renovation and re-branding to a select service AC Hotel last year April, we have received many positive comments here on TripAdvisor about the hotel, the brand and Marriott, and also some constructive feedback from our guests to even do better on our product, services and training, which we take very seriously.

Indeed, we do offer our Platinum Elite members their benefits according the AC Brand Standards. We do not have an executive lounge for free breakfast, lunch and dinner.
As it was your honeymoon, you received a bottle of champagne, macarons cookies and a welcome letter in your room upon your arrival besides the Platinum arrival gift at the time of your check-in. Unfortunately, due to a fully booked hotel we could only provide an upgrade the second the day of your stay, which you declined. We have made an exception to offer you breakfast for free too after your initial complaint via another social media, Twitter.

My staff has tried to be as accommodating to your needs as possible obviously without any positive result for which I repeat our apologies. We do hope that you will give AC Hotel Nice a second chance on the occasion of your next visit to South of France and Nice.

Yours sincerely,
Clifton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Excellent location, three steps from the Promenade de Anglais. Close to transport and local sights as well. I walked everywhere!!
Short walk to the bus and train for trips to Monaco and Eze as well as Cannes.
Restaurant is lovely and the food is quite tasty. Service was outstanding.
Front desk staff had the uncanny ability to remember yo by name. I thought that quite nice since this is a large hotel with many travelers.
I will stay here again

Room Tip: Request a room that does not face the back court. The view is lovely, but if there is a party on th...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michele O
B_BUSSCHER, General Manager at AC Hotel Nice, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Michele O,

Thank you so much for your nice comments about your stay with us. I am glad to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff did their best to make you feel welcome!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kindest regards,