“Disappointing hotel”

Ranked #29 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Lucca, Italy
“Disappointing hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

My room was very small and could only accommodate a twin bed. The air conditioner ran poorly and was quite noisy.
No desk services such as bottled water. I was completely disappointed with this hotel and would not stay there again.
Not a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommend the hotel or any rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Jan P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oulu, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel was clean and nice, something that you can expect from a Best Western hotel. Nothing fancy but nothing to complain about either. Location is near the city center so it's easy to do your shopping, carry your luggage to the train station or access the old town.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a hotel that is near to the city centre, clean and friendly, this hotel is the one for you, the only disadvantage is that the room was small, could of been bigger but apart from that the staff were friendly and accommodating, the room was cleaned every day, with clean towels and bed sheets daily, tram stop and station just a short walk and supermarkets and restaurants all located just outside the hotel, 10/15 minute walk to the beach.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Joanne B
San Antonio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel was in the perfect location. It is walking distance to the beach. The rooms are small, but I have learned to accept that in France. The most important thing was that they were clean and well stocked. You will have soap and shampoo, but no conditioner. You will not have an iron, but can request one. They have a limited amount, so don't expect one the same day. The staff was great!!! They were very helpful. The bed is small, but comfortable. We were in room 404. We had a small balcony with a good view of the busy street. The wifi was good, but you did have to log in every time you wanted to use it.
Tips:
- bus 99 takes you to the railway station and from there you can walk about 10min Max to your hotel. The bus does not start pick up till 8 am on the way back to the airport.
- avoid bringing US dollars as it is difficult to exchange money and the easiest thing is getting it from the ATM.
- the grocery store is right in front of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank GlobetrotterBella
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

23.30; We were confirmed to stay at The Riviera but only on arrival were we told, by a totally disinterested (he was more interested in the dubious woman at reception than his guests) and unhelpful security man there that we were now to go to The New York Hotel. No excuse...no apology. Just as well we were moving as the area was crawling with drunks and women of the night..

"Turn right, go straight and its on the left".

23.45; We were still driving and searching in a strange city to us, in the dead of night and had no idea how to get to this new hotel and his directions were totally wrong. We passed prostitutes on the corners, then stopped at lights to see a man in a violent engagement with another, then a large group of youths ran full speed across and around our car. Now we were not happy. We repeatedly called The New York to ask for help in getting to the hotel and the man on the phone had no idea where his hotel was from where we were!! We called 4 times, on international rates, and understandably got frustrated with his total lack of care or concern. Why did the hotel man not know this as we clearly and patiently explained each time exactly where we were. Eventually we stopped at the only open cafe and lo and behold the hotel was mere metres away.

23.55; We arrived at the hotel and I asked was he the man I spoke with on the phone. Yes. I told him I was not happy and it was not acceptable not to be able to guide his guests in a strange city in the dead of night to his hotel and I found him very unhelpful. This more than irritated him and he got quite agitated. He repeatedly spoke over me and just would not calm down. I told him his attitude was disgusting and that I was a guest at the hotel. He told me I was insulting him....AND HE WAS CALLING THE POLICE!! Please do....I was the one, in a strange city, in his hotel being confronted by a man I never met or didn't know. He could have done anything to us. I insisted he call the police but of course he didn't. He wrote down his name for me as "Mohammed" and the said
"If you don't like my attitude...write to my director, Mr Nasser"

We had bed and breakfast confirmed in The Riviera.

"You have bed only"
"No. We paid for bed and breakfast"
"No you didn't"
"Call The Riviera"

He did so and it was breakfast included. No apology...nothing.

Check in took from 00.00 until 00.35. An absolute disgrace.

We were so shaken we actually put a chair up against the door for fear he might call his friends or do something else.

Breakfast was awful, cheap and nasty in a tiny room packed with people who crowded around the tiny area for the food. Dreadful ... so we had tea and a horrid small "croissant"

On check out I asked for Mr Nasser.
"Why?" .
"We had issues last night".
"O, you are the people last night"
"Yes, we had a very bad experience with Mohammed and wish to complain"
"That is not possible. Mohammed is one of our very best employees and this couldn't have happened"

So there you are. Close ranks, dismiss the guests version, without hearing it, and just go away.

I have made a formal complaint to Best Western.

I would not stay here for free.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Harleyclarkey
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I often think of poor standard when I think of hotels in France. They can usually not be compared to hotels in other countries in Europe. I was however surprised of the standard of this hotel, it was better than some 4 star hotels in France that I have stayed at. The building is nice, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is good, but it's not close to the beach if that is where you want to stay. The rooms are a bit aged, but in a nice way. It doesn't look trashy, and the rooms are clean. The elevator is tiny and slow, so you often have to wait for it. The walls between the rooms are a bit thin, which caused a huge problem one night. I don't know why, but one of the guests thought that it was totally ok to speak very loud in the phone during the whole night. I had to pound the wall in order to get him to lower his voice, but you could still hear him talk. I didn't hear anything the other nights so it's not a problem as long as people are sleeping during the night. The bed was comfortable, and the wifi worked as expected.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

We were having a girls weekend off in Nice with my friend. Didn't want anything too fancy, expensive or big, but something above "hostel"-style. Arriving to this hotel was very easy, located less than a kilometer from the train station and the beach, just along the big shopping street. Everyone in the staff were kind and helpful but ESPECIALLY at the reception one woman (Benedicte?) was Heartwarming and Hospitable. She helped us with anything we needed or asked and she was so funny too! (even draw us a map with all the bars in it which became a legend there;) :D Rooms were small and quite worn out (they were clean though) and no soundproofing whatsoever in the walls and/or windows, but we weren't there to stay inside the hotel so that was all we needed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends