“Beautiful Museum (But do not eat at the Cafe)”

Musee National Marc Chagall
Book In Advance
More Info
US$96.84*
and up
Nice Art Tour: Chagall Museum, Matisse Museum and the Villa Ephrussi de...
Ranked #5 of 218 things to do in Nice
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum has a large collection of works by Marc Chagall, the famous Russian-born painter and designer.
Seattle, Washington
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Beautiful Museum (But do not eat at the Cafe)”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My mother and I went to this beautiful Musee during our latest trip to France. It was incredible. What made it even more special was the fact that the artist helped design the museum to showcase his work. Before going, I didn't know much about his art, but am definitely a fan now. It is definitely a must see.

Cafe: I wish I could give a review specifically for the cafe which is located outside the museum and is independently owned. During my entire time in France, two weeks, and for every other visit, I've never had any issues with anyone being rude to me. This was all changed by the owner of this cafe. From the moment we walked in he was dismissive and rude. When I asked for a table, in my broken French, but I was trying, he acted like he didn't understand me and then said, "Sit wherever." We sat at a dirty table, waiting for it to be cleaned off for 15 minutes. When we were finally helped, he again was rude. We noticed others who had sat down after us being served their food, but we continued to wait. When we asked a second time for water, he said, "No, it's raining outside, no water for you." Seriously. We got up and walked out. Never have we been treated so rudely for no reason. It was shocking.

2 Thank JSeattleLaw

• Turkish first
Falmouth, Massachusetts
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Thoughtful, colorful representation of Bible stories”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Chagall was an incredibly talented artist and this museum shows his work and abilities off in a museum he designed. The setting is lovely and the space is well organized with paintings hung in a way that even the large works of art are easy to grasp and take in. Comfortable benches are well spaced so you can sit and really observe the art. I would think you would want at least an hour here; the 22 bus goes right near it - or it is an easy walk downhill from the Matisse Museum. Don't miss this.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Patti4709
Constanta
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Do not miss it”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Is one of the most impressive museums from Nice. Do not miss it because of its magnificient masterpieces and of its exponates.

Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A great overview of Chagall”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This museum offers a great overview of Chagall work and the audio tour is a must as it explains some of the very complex works. I loved the size of the place (big enough to be comprehensive but not so large that you feel exhausted at the end). Very much worth a visit.

1 Thank Douglas M
Naples, Florida
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Don't miss the movie!”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

For English Speaking Guests: Call ahead to find our what time it will be presented in English because neither it, nor the auditorium in which it is shown featuring a sampling of his stained glass windows, should not be missed. It really sets the stage for understanding his origins and his approach. The free audio guide, also available in English, was indispensable for even those of us with reasonable knowledge of the old testament. Also, there is plenty of seating from which to relax and take in the motion (something I didn't really appreciate before) in these works. Note: you probably want to eat elsewhere

Visited September 2013