“Great Location”

Ranked #56 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Bern, Switzerland
“Great Location”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Just few minutes walk to the promenade & located within few steps to cafés & restaurants, shops & grocery stores. The bus stop to the airport & the casino is just a block from the hotel. Breakfast offers variety of choices. Clean but elevator service sometimes takes time to wait.

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Finnish first
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Could be so much better but let down by a lack of attention to small details.

We asked for a kettle in the room to make early morning tea (surely a must for English guests!) but were told there were only three kettles available for the whole hotel and all were in use! The safe in the room did not work properly and when we mentioned it were told 'don't worry we have a magic key if you can't open it' - not really good enough.

The shower screen did not fit flush with the bath so the floor flooded every time we had a shower. The breakfast was very basic - warm scrambled eggs but cold bacon! Cold boiled eggs also on the menu!

As a huge tennis and F1 fan I missed both as BBC was not working on the room TV. We were told that they were waiting for a technician to arrive to fix the problem but there seemed no sense of urgency and it was still not working when we left.

On the plus side the staff were very helpful, the location superb and the huge bed extremely comfortable.

Room Tip: High up with a balcony facing Ave de Suede
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Location, location, location!! No I'm not a real estate agent! We caught a taxi to the hotel as we had bags to carry but it is an easy walk if you are strong or pack lightly. We did the walk when we caught the train to Monaco for the day (highly recommended).

The staff at the hotel were always lovely and very helpful. The rooms were clean and breakfast was fine. We walked to the old city, the flower market and up the stairs to the lookout. The views are amazing and well worth the climb up.

All in all I would definitely come back not only to Nice but to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Hotel de Suede is but steps from La Promenade des anglais, the place de Massena, the old Nice as well as the beach. In other words, location cannot be more perfect.
Hotel is clean, the rooms and the bathroom are quite small, but other than that, this hotel has everything you want.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pierre L
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel was clean but looked quite dated, however I think that is just Nice hotels on the whole. The front desk agents appeared polite and on the ball when we arrived. They repeated to me my booking of a room with a queen bed (which is interesting because of what happened next) and the check in process was done in a few minutes. The lift was quite large for Nice standards and I was able to to get all of our bags plus myself in the lift in one go. The 2 previous hotels we stayed in during the trip took 2 or 3 trips.

When we got to the room, we discovered that the room was in fact a twin single bed room which was frustrating as the duty manager had verbally confirmed my queen bed booking at check in.
When I called downstairs I was told that all the queen bed rooms had been allocated and I was stuck with the twin as I was the last to check in. The fact that I had booked a queen room and they should have reserved held what I booked seemed beyond them.

I didn't get anywhere on the phone so I went down to reception to vent a little further. Now there were 2 of them and they didn't try to hid that they didn't care in the slightest about my dissatisfaction. They were even slightly aggressive. I was told that all rooms were in the hotel were actually twin rooms but the house keeping pushed the beds together, moved night stands and fitted a large sheet so the bed appeared as a queen. A little too far fetched considering it is peak season, all hotels are full and there only seem to be 3 house keeping staff in each hotel at any one time.

I requested that someone come to do the above but was told that house keeping only work until 3pm and it was already 7:30 by this point. Quite angry I told the check in agent to bring me the large sheet to the room and proceeded to move the beds around myself. When the large sheet arrived it was in fact too small denting the 2x twin beds make 1 queen bed theory. Instead of lying, they should have at least tried some positive customer service and done something to take the sting out of the problem.

Location wise, the hotel is in a great position. You can be at most of the places worth going to in Nice in less than 15 mins on foot and most of the good restaurants are right around the corner. The train station is about a 15 minute vigorous walk to the North.

All in all not a bad hotel, just don't expect any resolution, special treatment or apology if they mess up your booking.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ben C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have given this hotel 5 stars, of course it is not a 5 star hotel but I am marking the overall experience and price which is 5 star. First of all it is in a great location close to the seafront and the old Town with the great flower market, restaurants and parks. On top of that all of the staff that we came into contact with were excellent, particularly one particular guy who was on reception when we arrived and couldnt have been more welcoming or informative if he had tried. Top marks to them. The hotel has been modernised and rooms are of an adequate size with a nicely tiled bathroom, all perfectly adequate for the price. Room was clean and housekeeping spot on. If you want a beach you need to catch the train from Nice Ville (10Min walk), spend 3 euros on the return fare and go two stops to Villefranche Sur Mer, nice beach with lovely shelving beach into clear water, small shingle instead of great big pebbles in Nice. All in all a great experience and Nice is great for a weekend break with lots to do.

Room Tip: All looke OK to me
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alan M
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I go there for business but I'd like to stay near the (French Riviera aka Cote d'azur) and I was there in Sep 2013 before and it was lovely but this time I came in Dec 2013. And I hated every single day of it.. First of all, construction workers only work at night so you cant sleep.. 50% of the hotel around this area do their renovation this time of the year and us who visit the city during that time have to suffer..Nice is a beautiful city but during winter,,,, its so boring,, people vanish, not a lot of tourists, most stores are closed and the beach is abandoned, cause its so cold anyway. The room is kinda small but bigger than what consider's small in Europe. Of course no A/C is on in all Nice during winter so you have to open the window to get some air, and by opening the window,,the construction and the drunk's noise comes in too. The location is amazing though,, no better location than this,, Stay around it or stay in it, its not that bad during summer.

Room Tip: Dont stay in Nice during Winter. its the construction and renovation time of the year.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo