“Still happy!”

Hotel Saint-Georges
Ranked #176 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 9 October 2010

I have stayed in quite a few hotels in Nice and, in spite of the bad reviews, keep returning to the St Georges when they have space. I like the location as it is quiet and not too far from either bus or train station or from the old town. On this visit the room was clean, a decent size and fairly modern. Shower room was immaculate with good water pressure and plenty of hot water, things that are not always found in old French hotels. The place is certainly not luxury but I don't expect that for 70 euro. The newish manager is pleasant, polite and speaks reasonable English.

My attitude to hotels is to pay a lot and expect luxury or pay very little and hope for decent quality and clean, which is what I have got on each of my dozen or so stays at the St Georges.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert W

Reviewed 17 August 2010

My mother and I stayed at this hotel in 2008 during our first trip to Nice. While nothing spectacular, the room was large and the staff friendly. However, during our most recent trip, we found it to be somewhat less "quirky and charming" than we originally remembered. Although we did request two doubles (booked about 8 months in advance), we were given a room with a single, full-size bed and told we could trade rooms the next day. The first room was incredibly dark and dank, did not have a functioning TV (it turned on, but all the channels were "frozen") and when I touched the bedside lamp, was given an immediate and very painful shock. I also called and requested (both in English AND French) an extra pillow for my mom, which never arrived ...

The next day, we were called by the front desk to ask if we'd like to change rooms - which we did. The new room, while larger and with the two beds, as originally requested, was FULL of flies. The window had been left open, presumably by housekeeping, and probably 30 flies were buzzing about. We spent the next hour or so swatting them all with handtowels and 'herding' them out of the window. While we made sure we took care of every last pesky critter, it still made sleeping a bit difficult.

I do hope they'll do a renovation, because this hotel has the potential to be very great, it just appears that there's been some slack in the upkeep since our last stay. The location was convenient, but next time around, I think we'll look for something different.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I regret to say that I will not recommend this hotel, even though it has a good central location.My partner and I woke up on Monday morning to discover some had let them selves into our room which only could be opened by key while we were sleeping and took €870.The hotel also charged our stay twice with on a credit card that should of only be used to confirm our reservation.This was done with out our authorisation following the theft of our money.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DublinCynthia
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We were totally disappointed the moment we stepped into our room. There was no air conditioning, the room smelled and the blanket was very old and dirty. the shower spot is too small. everything in the hotel is too old. The shower was split apart when my wife was in the shower the first day and made a hyge mess around the bathroom. Since Nice is a destination mostly for relaxation, we did not spend a long time in our hotel, however it was not a pleasant experience. The only good thing about the hotel is its location which is very close to the main street that is very live and exciting and takes you straight to the sear shore. The staff were fairly OK, although some of them did not like to hear complaints. In general there was no problem with the staff and luckily one of them with whom we dealt the last night was very nice. In general I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mosari
Reviewed 15 May 2010

I found this to be a perfectly fine, wonderfully situated, 2 star hotel. I thought I had booked another hotel, but my room here was clean and attractive--no odors. I'm not sure what the problem was with the other reviewers. The staff was helpful, and although the breakfast was minimal, there was a possibility of breakfast in the room, which is now a rarity in France. The TV was a modern flat screen TV with a good 24 hour news channel. The usual hairdryer, etc. was supplied.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank druout
Reviewed 18 December 2009

This hotel is a rundown dump, well & truly past it's glory days! We felt like we were the only people staying there, very eerie..... Breakfast was a ripoff..... The whole experience was depressing. Stay ANYWHERE else. We met people on the train going to Cinque Terre, they said they stayed in a great backpacker place near station. Nice is full of beggars & very seedy.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank jenkell
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Upon entering the hotel foyer we were greeted by a strong smell of cat urine. The room was very dark and dirty, ants crawled around the floor of the bathroom, bed side lamp shade had a big hole in it. So bad we did not even unpack any of our luggage and left early next morning.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple