“Convenient location, straighforward & friendly assistance”

Hotel Villa St-Hubert
Ranked #112 of 204 Hotels in Nice
London
“Convenient location, straighforward & friendly assistance”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this quaint villa: It appeared to be owner namaged / family run as evidenced by everything being well taken care of, clean and tidy.

The accommodation is basic but comfortable and adequate for those not spending 24/7 in their hotel room. The lcoation is great (short walk to Nice Ville train station for onwards trips to Monaco and Cannes) and the neighbourhood is safe and quiet.

The lady ower was extremely helpful (spoke English) and the check in procedure was straighforward and non-stuffy. No inconvenience of photocopying passports and paying upfront like in other 'hotels'.

Thank you - I will be back!

Room Tip: Travel to Cannes and Monaco from Nice Ville train station
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
switzerland
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Small hotel situated in a quiet area. A bit far from the the center, but, with the new Nice tramway (50 m), you can reach the beach or the commercial area in less than 10 minutes. To be recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jmbSwitzerland
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 19 November 2010

We stayed here because it is handy for the University, where my husband had a meeting.
The Villa St Hubert is a modest and attractively old-fashioned hotel, nicely decorated, and reasonably priced.. The room was very clean, and there was always plenty of hot water. The bed was OK, but just a bit hard for my taste.
It may seem to be a bit out of town, but in fact is very conveniently connected by the new tram line, just 2 minutes away, and you can get quickly to the station, the beach and the old town.
The district is fairly quiet in the evening (unless they're digging a hole nearby, as on one night of our stay, though I suppose that doesn't happen very often).
The only thing I didn't care for was the usual French breakfast with bread/croissant, butter and jam, and watery orange juice. How about adding some cereal, fruit and cheese or ham, and putting the price up a bit?

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank SylviaKath
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 27 October 2009

We stayed at this hotel while driving from Nice to Barcelona. Needed just a clean place, didn't need any frills. We got what we paid for. This is actually a home turned into a hotel. Not sure about how many rooms but I'm guessing around ten.
It is in a quiet part of town, so you do have to take metro or tram to get downtown. The tram is about a 2 minute walk on the corner. We took tram next morning before heading out and it was extremely easy. Cost is 1 euro each. There are ticket booths at the stop. Can't pay when you get on, so buy first.

The rooms of the hotel are good size especially when speaking of European hotels. The lobby is really small, actually an old foyer converted. The carpet in foyer and up the steps dated and worn, but luckily the rooms are in much better shape.

I did not see a lift, so if that's important, please ask when making reservations.
Breakfast was 6 euros each. I don't recommend it since it was two croissants and a half a baguette plus your coffee. Much more options in restaurants. We had to order the night before so I assumed it was because she was making a breakfast so I ordered. Not true.
Free wi-fi was included in the rooms, but ours kept going in and out alot.
We had a car so needing parking. Street parking happened to be available right outside the door. I think we were just lucky as availability around the area looked really tight.

We ate at a restaurant that my brother found on the internet. It was about a ten minute walk. Called L'Union (?) I wrote a review so check that out. But it was well worth it. Portions are huge on their 3 course prix fixed menu. I suggest one person do prix fix and another chose one item off menu and you share unless your really starving.

To sum Hubert up, if you need a one night stop or if you always stay in no frill hotels you will be okay with this place.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank got2go
Singapore
Reviewed 3 October 2008

I stayed here with friends during the 2nd week of sept 2008.

The rooms are clean and bright and although the hotel is not exactly close to town (about 15-20 mins walk to jean medecin), it is only a stone's throw away from the nearest tram stop and from there it is only 5 mins ride to jean medecin. trams are frequent.

Although the rooms face a pretty quiet street it is not as though you would hear a pin drop at nite as there is the rubbish truck and sounds of the tram passing by. So if you are a light sleeper and your room overlooks the street it is best if you bring earplugs. The room that I stayed in on the third floor had no aircon or fan but I am personally ok with that.

The room at ground floor (which is where my colleague stayed - apparently the other ground floor room is rented out to a long term tenant) faces the backyard which is quiet but if you open the windows you may get the insects. You can get the aircon switched on but you have to pay an additional 6 euros per nite for this (this is not on their website).

Following is what happened which marred our experience in Nice. On returning to the hotel during our first nite, we (2 single ladies) found that the short walk back from the nearest tram stop was rather dark and deserted. As our male colleague was leaving the next day, we did not feel comfortable if we had to stay 2 more nites in the hotel.

So we asked the owner, Sophie, about *possibly* cancelling the 2 nites and she said that if she could sell our 2 single rooms, we would not have to pay anything. she also made a remark that her 6 or 10 yr old (can't remember which) daughter had no problems walking back by herself (implying that it shouldn't b a problem for us either).

The next day, we happened to return to the hotel at noon to see our male colleague off and she announced to us that she had sold both our rooms and we had to pack up and get out now! imagine our shock when we heard this. We had not booked any other rooms at other hotels for that nite and we knew from asking around that most hotels were fully booked that period. We tried to reason with her that we never told her to cancel our rooms, we only asked what would happen *if* we had, and even if she wanted to sell our rooms she could have at least informed us first.

All of us were pretty upset but subsequently she relented and let us have 1 room (meaning that she would sell only 1 room and not 2). That meant that I had to move into my colleague's room. The funny thing is, I still had the key to my original room and Sophie never asked me for it.

The following day, I asked Sophie what the status was for our last nite - did we have 1 or 2 single rooms? She said she only managed to sell my room for just 1 nite. So I moved back into my original room for the last nite.

The consolation is that Sophie apologised to us on the last day and I conclude that it was all a big misunderstanding.

Apart from the rooms, note also that if you are coming with heavy luggage you have to drag it to your room yourself as Sophie herself said she is a 1-woman operation with only a chambermaid to assist her. So if you are all alone with heavy luggage it's best to get the ground floor or at least 2nd floor room.

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — misunderstanding with owner
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Netherlands
Reviewed 17 July 2008

we just went back from there, the room is kinda nice, the garden is beautiful;but, the people worked there is not that nice, not patient.

Stayed July 2008
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 January 2008

We stayed at Hotel Villa St-Hubert in August 2007. The hotel was small and simple but was clean and the staff were friendly and it was well priced (60euros).

The hotel was located on a quiet street about a 30min walk away from the main beach in Nice so the location was not great. We found car parking around this hotel a real hassle as, although the hotel said they has parking, there was only one car parking space (which was already taken when we were there). We would not recommend breakfast which was overpriced and average.

We would recommend this hotel if you are on a budget and are happy with clean and simple accommodation.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Location and parking
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple