“Best Hostel in Nice, France”

Backpacker's Chez Patrick Hostel
Ranked #28 of 52 Speciality Lodging in Nice
Medellin, Colombia
“Best Hostel in Nice, France”
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

I found the place very welcoming, clean and quite. You can find nice people all over the place. The best price you can find in the city, I paid 16 € per night which is a really good price in a city like this one. It is close to the SNCF Gare and the tram line. It is well located in a very safe place with several shopping centers and restaurants. A lot of information about bus lines, schedules and excursions in the reception. There is also free wifi available and laundry service. Definitely an A+

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

There are no lockers in the hostel, just a little safety box in the room. We stayed in a 4-bed dorm and there were just 2 safety boxes. The reception is open just from 8 to 1 pm, so if you have any kind of problem at other time is really annoying trying to contact them and when you do, the lady is super rude and upset to be disturbed. The hostel is close to the station but 20-25 min away from the beach and the old city. The rooms were good but the AC was too high and it was pretty cold in the rooms at night. The cleaning hours are from 11-2pm, and you are not allowed at the hostel at that time, what is quite annoying too.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Travelover_aeg
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2011

I'm in my final night (of 4) of staying here at Chez Patrick's. I have nothing but praise for the place:

- Good location: 5 minutes from the train station, located just off the main road with shops, public transport, restaurants and everything nearby. Walking distance to the main sites (beach, old Nice, museums, parks, etc). Safe place. Make sure you print out instructions to find the place though as it is upstairs/kind of hidden. It's directly above the Pink lady hostel.
- Cheap: I paid 18e/night all-inclusive (low season). Also a 20e key deposit which is refundable when you leave. Must pay in cash/traveller's cheque.
- Clean: Not a spot anywhere. I stayed in a 4-bed (2 bunks) room with clean floors and a balcony overlooking the road and a clean sink in the room. Actually I was the only one there so I had the whole room to myself. There are separate toilets (one for each sex) and shower (communal) which are kept in pristeen condition. You just have to bring/buy your own soap/shampoo. Also no towels provided (fair enough).
- NIce(:P) hosts: Patrick and his (?)wife were very friendly and spoke fluent English. HIs wife took the time to give me a map and explain aspects of the city to me when I arrived. Respected privacy always. They live upstairs so actually it's like you have the place to yourself most of the time.
- Free Wifi: relatively high speed, unlimited download. Good connectivity, never had a problem, and I was on the internet a lot.
- Warm: good central building heating system. Provided warm blanket, clean sheets, pillows. Walked around with only t-shirt and shorts during middle of winter.
- Bad points: No lockers, although they said they can keep laptops etc for safekeeping. There are 2 small safe available in each room. Of course though you can lock your door and window. Another thing is that if you are very tall (say >1.9m you may have difficulty fitting on the bunk beds which have metal on either sides, so you won't be able to sleep flat/straight). Lock-out is officially from 11-2 (for cleaning) but I didn't notice it during the times I was here (encourages you to go out anyways).

All-up definitely recommend this place for the economical traveller. It's a quiet cosy place in a busy district.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank anfenie
Brussel
Reviewed 19 September 2009

The place is very well located, it's perfectly clean but...

-There's only two toilets and two showers for everybody and that's a bit short...

-The kitchen is very small and eating there is not the easiest (and there's no place for you to cook anything, just a microwave, a fridge & a boiler)

-The rooms are quite big but not the most comfortable (the beds are very very hard), there's a sink in the room but you wouldn't hope to brush your teeth without waking up all the others in the room ! I ended up using the sink in the kitchen to avoid that...

Overall it's (according to my experience of youth hostel) a bit expansive for what it's worth... I'd recommend to check elsewhere first...

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We thought we would like this place, it was pretty new looking, got great reviews, made it into Lonely Planet and Le Routard, and looked clean. Patrick was so friendly and nice... when we were handing him our money.

The room is alright, bunk beds and a sink. We were only provided a sheet and when the air conditioning is turned on and you can't control it, you are freezing and not allowed to open the windows.

The kitchen is non-existent. Only for about 4 people max. Only a microwave and a couple of dishes (I do mean a couple) are provided so we just bought cereal.

I forgot the key once with my boyfriend and got yelled at by Patrick upon my arrival. When another couldn't figure out how to use the (electronic type) key, they were yelled at as well. We got tired quickly of being chewed out by a guy we had paid over a hundred bucks to.

Only 1 bathroom for each sex located next to front desk. Awkward placing and always smelled terrible due to lack of ventilation. Showers were nice, cramped but hot and clean.

We paid a ton of money for the room and then a key deposit and then we wanted a passport or id so we gave him that too. When we tried to check out he would not return the 20 euro deposit on the key. There were 3 of us staying together and we all said he had taken the I.D and the 20 euro deposit for the key while Patrick claimed he never made mistakes and would NEVER ask for an I.D. AND a deposit so clearly we had never given him the 20 euro deposit. This debate went on for a while and we provided the receipt which was written by Patrick and said "72 Euro/room + 20 Euro/Key Deposit". He gave us a nasty look and the money and then said "next time, I only take the I.D. or Deposit, not both, you don't give me both, ONLY one of them..."

In the end, he never believed he was wrong, never apologized even with proof in his own handwriting and gave us a speech on how things will work next time. There will not be a next time, I can assure. This man is a fool and treats his guests like thieves.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank khinkle29

Travellers are raving about these Nice hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 22 September 2008

Not a bad little place. Location is decent for traveling around the Cote d'Azur, as it's near the train station (walking distance, in fact). However, that's not the nicest/safest area of Nice. It can be a bit sketchy, but if you are an alert and experienced traveler you should be fine. Price was decent. Locked out every afternoon from 10 AM - 4 PM for cleaning. They sprayed a really disgusting air freshener throughout the whole place which would be my biggest complaint. The only other slight drawbacks were 1) the very small kitchen which is attached to one of the rooms and is not always accessible, as well as 2) there is no common area to socialize with the other guests of the hostel. Patrick & his wife are pretty friendly. There are a few rooms to choose from that are either double or quad dorms. Reasonably clean.

• Liked — proximity to the train station; price
  • Disliked — smell; sketchy locale; no common/social area; small kitchen facility with no real place to eat
  • Stayed October 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 8 September 2008

Me and a friend, (we're late 20s), stayed here in August 2008 for a few nights. The hostel is easy to find and very well located on a rather dingy sidestreet just off the main shopping street in Nice -Ave Jean Medecin. It's about 5 mins walk from the railway station and about 15 mins walk from the old town/seafront -centre of Nice's nightlife.

The owner, Patrick, is efficient and reasonably friendly. We had a twin room which was poor by the standards of other hostels we've stayed in. It was shoebox small and consisted of 2 bunk beds -1 above the other with 1 sheet and 1 pillow per bed. There was a sink and a window but no table or any other decoration of any kind. The building is quite old and it did remind me of a prison cell.
There was a noise problem: the hostel itself is small and quiet but to get into the hostel entrance you enter a passcode. This then unlocks the door and sets off a loud buzzer. At night this loud buzzer is audible in the hostel room every time somebody enters the hostel -not good.

It's only a small hostel but there are only 2 toilets (male/female) and 1 shower. More often than not they'll be occupied or you'll be under pressure to finish your business quickly -not very nice.

There's no social room and no simple facilities like an ironing board. There's a fridge and a kettle and that's about it.

It get's hot in Southern France in summer (obviously) and the air-con was poor. It was difficult to tell whether it was on or not as it basically consisted of a vent above the door to the room which blew a little bit of air around -as i said, not good in summer.

The hostel closes between 1030-1400 for cleaning. The hostel is very clean as a result but i personally found it annoying to be locked-out of my own room for several hours each day -sometimes you want a lie-in or just to chill out...

Security at the hostel seemed good. You get a master key to get into the building and then you need a passcode to actually get into the hostel itself. The rooms are secured with strong doors/locks.

So the best way i can summarize this place is that it's a no-frills hostel: it's clean, it's safe but don't expect any kind of service or comfort beyond the very basics. If 2 of us were going to Nice again i would book a twin room in a 2* hotel for a few Euros more instead.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends