“Great location, but some niggles that make this only 4 stars”
Review of Hotel La Perouse

Hotel La Perouse
Ranked #4 of 204 Hotels in Nice
London
“Great location, but some niggles that make this only 4 stars”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

For my money, this is the best located hotel in Nice, easily walkable from the Old Town and the Port. It is high up on the cliff and therefore well away from the noise of the traffic on the Promenade des Anglais (and goodness does Nice have traffic, even in winter!). The rooms are nicely decorated, with marble bathrooms, and we had a spectacular view from a small sunny terrace on the 3rd floor. Overall we were very happy with it and got great service from the reception staff in particular. The location does have its downsides however and I can see that this wouldn't suit everyone's taste. Because it is on the top of the cliff, it only has a very small lobby at street level, which is a bit unprepossessing on first sight. And the layout of the hotel means that, to get to your room, you have to go up in two separate (and tiny) lifts - it definitely feels like a rabbit warren. The niggles - the pillows were extremely hard and uncomfortable to sleep on; the hotel was a bit mean in replenishing toiletries (I ran out of shower gel on day 2 and they didn't replace it); and the restaurant was closed for evening meals while we were there. I'm sure this last is because it was out of season and there weren't that many people staying in the hotel - but we definitely would have used the hotel restaurant, the limited room service menu being a poor substitute. But overall this is a lovely hotel, if not so slick as you would get in one of the chains.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Turkish first
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Located right along the ocean in the best part of Nice for shopping, dining, and beautiful walks/site seeing. The breakfast and hotel restaurant is top class. The staff is very friendly and helpful and all speak english. The rooms are very comfortable. We stayed in a room with a balcony facing the ocean on the 5th etiage, so the view every morning was to die for! The only downside is that the hotel is built into the rocky hill and so weaving to get to your is an interesting experience involving multiple different elevators. It was a wonderful experience nontheless!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Ницца, Франция
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Really grate place and grate weekend. I've appreciate a lot the view from our room: we could see Bai des Anges just from our bed. Acutely we had everything we needed in the hotel, even jacuzzi on the rooftop in November!!
In the evening we have tried the cocktails in the intern garden - really tasty. Personal was good and welcoming. Wish to come here again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in December. I was very excited after reading very positive reviews, and seeing the beautiful view this hotel has to offer.

Positives:
1.Upon check in, we were taken to our "sea view" room on the 4th floor, which was absolutely stunning. The bed was comfortable, the shower and the bathroom was modern. The view was magnificent, and I could watch the sunset on the Mediterranean Sea.

2. The location of this hotel is great. It is located right in between the Port of Nice and the Old Nice. Walking distance to a lot of the surrounding restaurants and shops.

3. The staff was very nice.

Negatives:
1. My room was perfect until our last day, when I opened my luggage to find that tiny black ants were crawling all over my clothes inside my luggage. It was quite disgusting, I immediately threw everything inside my luggage on the balcony in attempt to get rid of the ants. I checked the room and the ants were crawling on the carpet, on the pillars, everywhere in the room. There has been previous complaints on Tripadvisor about ants, but my experience validates that the hotel has not taken a serious step to fix this problem.

2. Rooms are little bit noisy, you can hear people in the hall way, people next door, but since this is an older hotel, I was half expecting this and this did not bother me too much.

3. The last and the most infuriating experience took place at the hotel's restaurant. On the final day of our stay, we had an early flight to catch the next morning so we decided to eat at the hotel and go to bed early. Because there was no official restaurant menu and the chef was absent ( maybe because off season?) we were asked if room service menu was okay. The salads were very good. I ordered a tomato pasta and when it came out the sauce was completely cold. (Noodles were steaming hot). In addition to the sauce being cold, it tasted something out of a tomato sauce can (honestly I could make something more delicious). I'm honestly not that picky, I've never been served cold food nor, something I could only eat two bites because it was so bad.

All in all, I expect much more from a hotel this level. It's very true that this hotel itself is very beautiful and the view is to die for. However, the negative experiences (the restaurant experience really infuriated me) outweighed the positive for me personally, and I will likely not return.

Stayed December 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This hotel was in an excellent location for us on a 2 day break in Nice. It looks right out over the bay, the port is a few minutes walk in one direction and the "old town" is a few minutes in the other. It is also right underneath the ruins of the old castle and the AMAZING views that you get from there. The hotel itself is built into the side of the hill. Our rooms were next to a beautiful courtyard, bar and swimming pool all right up on the 6th Level. The rooms were quite small for a twin bedded room but very comfortable and clean with a good sized bathroom.

The one thing I didn't like however was the lifts going from reception up to this 6th Floor ... the lifts were very small and I have to admit to not liking lifts generally anyway! On one occasion however we were in the lift and it started to go up ... and then it came down and stopped ... all the lights (on the buttons) went out and appeared to have malfunctioned. A few seconds later the door opened and we were back on the ground floor ... It was VERY disconcerting (especially for someone who hates lifts anyway!). When we mentioned it to Reception we were told "Oh that happens sometimes" !! It was too much for me though and I used the stairs from then on (which was quite a climb!)

The bedrooms were also very hot and even though I turned OFF the thermostat in the room it still remained very hot and this was in December! I assume in the summer they are air conditioned.

In all other ways though this is a beautiful hotel. The bar/courtyard/swimming pool area were just gorgeous.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for its location and it's ambience and service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
New York, USA
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Last week, husband and I stayed two days in Nice at the Hotel La Perouse and very much enjoyed it. We booked a "Superior room, sea view" (Rm 202) and the room's huge private balcony, with sea view, we enjoyed was paradise. The sunsets and sunrises! Absolutely worth the price we paid--if not more.

This hotel is built into a cliff, and in addition to the jaw-dropping view, our sea-facing room had no traffic noise whatsoever. The room itself, while not large, was clean, quiet, and very comfortable. No issues. It's true that navigating to some rooms in this hotel may seem a bit disorienting since the hotel, having been built partially into a cliff, does not have the same number of floors on each side. This was, in our experience, a insignificant quirk that did not detract from our overall satisfaction with the hotel.

The Hotel La Perouse staff could not have been nicer or more professional. The people with whom we dealt with during our stay were responsive, polite, fast, and thorough, and spoke excellent English (much better than my French). Would absolutely return to another sea-view room at the Hotel La Perouse.

Room Tip: "Superior room, sea view" was worth it.