“Good central location”

Ajoupa Apart'hotel Nice
Ranked #3 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Dont take first appearances to seriously. Yes it is above a shop, and reception is via a tiny lift to 5th floor, but our (Basic) room was large, clean and had all we needed.Excellent location, 100m from main square.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anne2755
There are newer reviews for Ajoupa Apart'hotel Nice

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Very good apartment hotel centrally placed with friendly personnel to the right price.
Can be recomended for weekendstays.
Nearby you can find bakerys for a god croissant breakfast.
10 minutes walk from airportbus and oldtown with good restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mats R
Reviewed 12 November 2013

+Really good location in the city and near the sea and promenade and the old town, fully equipped kitchen,Excellent service, large rooms, good bathroom,
- a lot ,of the TV channels not available, not so good lamps at the bed, slow Wifi, hard pillows

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter J
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We spent 3 nights in Ajoupa Residence in November 2013. What's good? - Huge room with well-furnished kitchen and very high roof: everything was there, from cooking battery to dish washing sponge. But no house-keeping at all and throwing-out trash by ourselves.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at Ajoupa for 3 nights and I was sorry to leave. The location is perfect, the price is very convenient and the kitchen is very well equipped. When I arrived I noticed that the cooking plate and the fridge were not working but the owner took care of it very quickly. I really enjoyed my stay and woud definitely stay ere the next time I'm in Nice. The only thing that is a bit inconvenient is that the reception is open from 9-12 and from 2 pm-7 pm. I needed directions on how to get to a place and I had to ask people on the street. They are very friendly and eager to help but unfortunately they don't speak any English and my French is terrible. In the end I got where I wanted.
Even if it's located on a pedestrian street that is always full of people and very noisy, once I shut the windows I couldn't hear any noise and slept like a baby.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed at Ajoupa for three days and I can honestly say this was the first time Tripadvisor reviews really disappointed me. This place had a Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence on its walls which I just wanted to rip down after our godawful experience. This is only my second 1 star hotel review, and you can see by all my reviews that I am generally easy to please. This is a lengthy review, but at the very least read my number 6 at the bottom to sum up why I would scream from the rooftops that no one should stay here EVER. Before I get into the big negatives of staying here, I will list the few positives if you are willing to suck it up for a few days: 1) the location is nice. Very easy to get to the promenade, bus and train stations, and a quick 5 minute walk to the Old Town. Parking in the area is very expensive though!; 2) the one staff member, Anya, was very pleasant and helpful and helped us make reservations one night; 3) the price is right for the location and the room size, but again, you get what you pay for.

Ok, I have a lot of negative feedback for this place, and I will save the icing on the cake for last:
1) the beds are like concrete blocks, and they only give you one thin pillow per person and a blanket that feels like curtains.
2) we had two rooms - one ended up being an "upgrade" to the superior because they sold out of the regular rooms. Well, the superior had a normal bathroom, but the regular room's bathroom was oppressively small..the smallest bathroom I've ever seen. Oh, and they ration you with small rolls of toilet paper and since they don't clean the rooms during your stay, you have to go to reception to get more paper during the limited hours they are open.
3) the kitchen is dingy, as is the rest of the apartment and they ask that you clean the dishes if you use them...which makes me think that they haven't been properly cleaned ever.
4) the street noise is SO LOUD!!!! On both sides of the hotel there are pedestrian corridors that stay very active until 3 am+, including the trash people who came at 2 am one morning!!! Even with the door closed and curtains shut on the 4th floor, you can hear full conversations from our rooms.
5) the "FREE" Wifi doesn't work properly!!! Ahhh, this was awful! I refuse to stay anywhere unless they offer free Wifi, but apparently if you advertise as having it and it only works in the stairwell that is okay to Ajoupa. Well, it worked for maybe an hour in a room and for the rest of our stay we had to sit on the marble staircase to use the internet which was so frustrating since I need it for work and trip planning. We complained twice to management about it and he was in denial. "Oh it must work, of course it works" the one man, presumably the owner, kept saying, except it wasn't working on any of our *6* devices and apparently not for anyone else staying in the hotel since we we had a lot of company in the Wifi-only stairwell.
6) finally, my main complaint. The man who runs the apartments, presumably the owner, is a complete jerk. While the one kind thing he did that I will mention to be fair is that he waited for us when we were (very) late to check in after driving from Avignon in the rain and traffic, but he was otherwise very abrasive and just plain rude!! The reception hours are from 9-12 and then 2-7, which for me is prime sightseeing hours...I'm rarely actually at my hotels during those hours when I'm traveling and I'd bet others would agree. Well the 2nd day we happened to catch him right outside the hotel just after 12pm when we came back for something, and while he was there we kindly inquired about the broken wifi and I also asked him where I could get toilet paper because we were out already. He then proceeded to YELL at all four of us in the middle of the street saying that we should only ask him questions during reception hours and we shouldn't stop him in the street, yada yada, and he kept going and going and going for literally 2 minutes. Scolding us loudly like we were little children and everyone in the street was staring. I couldn't believe it. In all of my years or travel and in life I had never experienced anything like this. I was mortified!!! Even though it was technically not reception hours, we were asking about the broken Wifi and honestly if that's your only amenity you should fix it despite the hour, and also for more flippin toilet paper, a necessity!! Would he have preferred for us to use the hotel towels?!

I know this is a lengthy review, but I felt they need to elaborate as to why I'm giving such a low rating on an otherwise well-reviewed hotel. I would NEVER stay here again and I beg for you all to consider staying elsewhere. Any owner who treats his guests that way shouldn't be allowed to have a business. I am truly disgusted by this man and this place and I would rather sleep in a dumpster in Nice next time than give this man anymore business.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank MrsSmarts
NICEMAN06, Gérant at Ajoupa Apart'hotel Nice, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Good afternoon,
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay in our residence, and am very surprised in the same time. I don't understand your exorbitant commentary. We always try to solve any problems immediately. The WiFi is perfectly working in general. Unfortunately, during your stay it was not working in a part of the building, but the problem is solved now. In french residences there is no daily service, but we explained you evrything on your arrival. If you need for example more toilet paper, we ask you to come to the reception.
I am just wondering what happened to you in Nice that you needed to turn down somebody. In this case Ajoupa ... In fact, we do not really feel concerned by most of your accusations, because they are just false.
Good luck for the future.
The manager

Reviewed 26 October 2013

This is by far the least expensive hotel that's in a great area! I couldn't imagine how inexpensive it is. It's in really good condition, too! The one negative thing I would say about it: the elevator isn't too perfect. If you come bearing lots of bags, you'll have a hard time coming and leaving. Oh, and the reception desk is closed for 2 hrs from 12-2, so be sure to contact the hotel directly to let them know when you expect to arrive. The doors to the hotel rooms are very unique, pretty cool actually. I added a pic to show you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family