“Disagree with almost everybody”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #99 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 17 December 2013

After looking at the reviews of The Ambassador Hotel I'm one of these people who think .... hmmm: I'm obviously looking at the wrong hotel on Trip Adviser and this isn't the one we stayed in.

These reviews don't bear any relationship to the hotel we stayed in although I do understand Itchyfeet, Sydney and others.

This is the second time we've stayed in the Ambassador. First time was about 5 years ago (2007) and having checked up on Venere we went to the recommended 3 star hotel. It wasn't particularly nice so we checked out the other 3 hotels within 100 metres. Ambassador Hotel was the last one..... a couple of sassenach's were coming out the door so we asked them what they thought of the hotel .... terrific they said so in we went.

Price was good so we booked 4 nights and were delighted we did so.

This time we decided to drive from Ecosse around Europe and eventually ended up in one of our favourite spots in the world. Neece.

After spending an hour or so checking out prices in the other hotels in and around the beach we decided....... that The Ambassador Hotel was the one for us.... again.

Here's why:
The boss (you know who you are) is a wee bit Asian looking and is as professional as any receptionist in a busy hotel. Yes he doesn't do somersaults when a new guest arrives but he knows what's what. His male sidekick is also a really pleasant fellow but doesn't do somersaults either. He's an interesting bloke and although an Italian he told us that he dreams in English. I think he went to Repton or some other public school like that.

Pluses
1. The front rooms are obviously the best ones and they have a small balcony which looks over the Nice sands. It's possible we've been lucky but both times we have been delighted that we had a view of the beach in an hotel which costs heaps and heaps less than any of their (much more expensive) neighbours.

2. We have found the service is pretty good. Yes they are relaxed (like Australians) and this can go against them if you are looking for five star service and employees who are going to fawn over you because you are paying 300 euros a night.

Minuses
They have a female employee who doesn't speak Hotel or English or Tourist ). She was hovering around reception a couple of times and is absolutely hopeless, she isn’t able to understand that all anyone wants is the key to get into the room. She may have just been a cleaner who got lost but she was holding fort at reception too many times for (this is 2012 so she might have gone back to Russia) this to be an accident.

Nanna from Helsinki said that the place is a rat hole! I have a feeling that she only likes places with ice.

PRECIS:
The Ambassador has come up trumps twice in 8 years and we would stay there again because they give exactly what is on the box.

Yes: they can be quite abrupt but you have to understand that that is what the French are like,,,,,

Dunno about you mob but one of the reasons we love travelling is because we meet so many different people.

Love it or hate it but you are going to come across really nice hotels and people and also obviously horrible people and hotels.

We think The Ambassador is one of the better hotels in Nice and we will always go back to them.

WHY.... and this is France?
I complained to the management about a couple of things. One was that the shower head kept falling down. No biggie and not worth complaining about unless you are happy that the next person in is going to get the same thing..... The other complaint was a stupid thing that I can't even remember.

It was a Sunday.

A day later and they hadn't been fixed so I fixed them myself.

I took the pish out of both the owner and the Italian manager because I fixed it myself and told them that they were obviously typical continentals who couldn't fix a fuse to save themselves.

We were checked out by someone we hadn't seen before and just when we got outside the hotel we were attacked by the manager. He stopped us and presented us with a bottle of wine.

WTF I said!

He said that because we had fixed the problem ourselves he was tremendously appreciative and he thought we would like a bottle of decent wine.

It was.... and we did.

We will always go back the next time because some of the rooms have views of the sea and even if they don't have views you have to ask yourself..... how many hotels are only 100 metres from the beach and cost less than a parking fine.

PS THE PARKING FINE. When you check in.... do not park for more than 10 minutes across the road from the Embassador. .... The stupidity of the cops booking you 8n a tourist area can make you quite angry. Mind you...... if you are from anywhere else than France then just chuck the parking ticket away.

Just try anywhere else and you will find that The Ambassador is where you should have booked in the first place.

Room Tip: Always ask for a front room. The Balcony may not be big but it is brilliant to get a room with a vie...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ClashBrisbane

Reviewed 15 October 2013

i booked and paid a steep premium for a sea view room. The website photos were grossly misleading. Partial seaview if you hang out the window at a particular angle- no balcony. ( Room 305) the worst was the service. Lamp in my room didnt work. Called reception- guy said sorry, cant do anything about it, I'm alone at front desk- speak to manager next morning. Was unable to sleep all night as there were no proper curtains, only see-through voile curtains and the brightly lit surrounding buildings streamed light straight into my bed and eyes throughout tge night. Once again, I called front desk who refused to come up and see the problem and made out that i was mistaken! I have taken photos ! Front desk said nothing they could do, speak to manager. When i asked to speak to Manager, told the manager is not there. ( this is an old ploy of dodgy hotels who rely on tourists who are non- repeats! ) Needless to say, I checked out after staying just one night and even at 7:30 next morning, the manager was unavailable.

Walls are paper thin- could hear man in room next to me snore! No double glazing also meant all streat sounds near the bars and promenade will wake you at regular intervals. Bath plug didnt work, water kept seeping out.

None of these things matter that much if a hotel is priced and marketed accordingly. But this hotel is overpriced and misrepresented for what it is. An ancient, unrenovated dive in a good location with an awful management, i requested a discount for the fact that a 3 star hotel at euro 150 per night should at the very least have curtains, was told, sorry, no can do, speak to the non-existent manager, I hope he reads this.

On the positive side, the room was spacious and clean, and tge bed was very comfortable although not enough blankets. Only 1 and it was cold.

Room Tip: Don't pay for seaview room. its not what you would expect. Check that everything works when you...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Very good position in granville st!!!

Clean and service very well and the ospitality very nice.

Best suggest for price/quality!! I was there for 6 night ans i extend for another 2 because was really nice!!
All the metrostation hare there near!!good restaurant for sushi very close to the restaurant!

Room Tip: take the room private with shared bath!1
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Booked the hotel because of the "sea view" for my two day stay in Nice. The hotel is centarally located. Could see the sea far in the horizon on my tiny balcony. The view mostly consisted of the building opposite the hotel and the entrance to a parking lot / tunnel. Paid 200 € / night for this most awful place. The room was really shabby, outworn and awful. Absolutely not worth the money. Stay out of this awful dump!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Nanna Z
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I read other reviews which always praised the location but criticised some of the rooms. However, I thought I might get lucky. I wasn't! The room was small with two single beds squeezed together to make a double. The shower over the bath was inadequate with virtually no pressure (my wife was unable to wash her hair). We couldn't use the bath because the internal plug system didn't work. We complained to no avail. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel at 12 E each. Why would we with plenty of cafes serving as good or better at 5-6 E within a few metres of the front door? As I said: great location. We would not stay again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Well located, a few meters from the beach, restaurants and shops, the staff was really friendly and helpful. The bedroom has a balcony with beatiful view of sea.
The problems of this hotel was the high prices, breakfast not included (paid apart by high prices) and the bedroom was noisy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My husband and I used our travel agent to book our flights and accomodations for our honeymoon in Greece. He warned us that this hotel wasn't the best, but that we would hardly be in the hotel in Nice so it wouldn't matter. Boy, was he right! Our room (on the 1st floor), was a dump. It was two twin beds pushed together, the room was pink and the toilet was in a different room from the rest of the washroom, which would be great, however it was so small it was hard to even get into. The shower was in a tub with no shower curtain, so the entire floor would get wet.
We complained to the front desk that we were on our honeymoon, and they said that they were fully booked and couldn't provide us with another room.
The only good thing about this hotel is the location (right in the heart of nice), but I would suggest spending a few extra dollars and booking at another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple