“Wow”
Review of Spity Hotel Nice

Spity Hotel Nice
Ranked #159 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 30 May 2008

I found the Hi (pronounced with a long e like he) on the avant guard hotels website. It was a super great value at only 245 euros a night. super hip green, ecology, young fresh clean place. Loved it. It was surprisingly earthy, unfussy and delightful. Not every traveller will appreciate it though. If you are stuffy complicated or fussy - better stay some where else.

Bonus for travelers who are jet lagged and wake up in the middle of the night hungry the Hi has an open kitchen - with fabulously healthy organic meals and snacks you can help yourself to when everything is closed. Plus they have bikes you can ride around on!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 May 2008

The staff at this hotel were extremely friendly and the hotel was exceptionally clean. I also applaud the Eco-friendly/organic vision the hotel has but this is where it ends.

Our room had a toilet 3 feet up the wall in a small purple plastic galleried area with 6 'crazy' steps up to it and no door , so the toilet was open into your bedroom. The shower was the same - 3 feet up the wall on 4 legs again with steps up to it. This time the plastic shower screen was lime green. Contemporary to me is minimalist, clean lines and funky furniture. This was just pointless. Does the designer have her toilet at home designed this way? I bet not.

There is also a DJ on Friday and Saturday nights which we could hear from our room on the 3rd floor. This went on until 2 am.

Also all cutlery is wooden and all plates biodegradable so if you like all things 'weird' this is for you else stay away.

I paid £140 per night and stayed 2 nights if our stay was any longer I would have moved hotels.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Potty41
Reviewed 1 April 2008

I had a reservation for two nights but I have left after the first night. The staff is really horrible, unpolite, the manager is the worst person I have ever met in my life. If you are a gay traveler don't go to that place cause they will just laugh at you all the time.....Even if you are straight, two friends of mine stayed there one night the same month, they confirmed my opinion, they would never stay there again, poeple there seem to be really frustrated, but you don't really know the reason why. Nice is a really great city, if you want to have a good time in this gorgeous city of France, avoid staying at Hi-Hotel.

Mark

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank markandrob
Reviewed 3 September 2007

My wife, son (14 months) & I were looking for a short break in Nice. A review of accommodation highlighted a lack of modern/boutique style accommodation (except for Hi Hotel). We booked via an online agency for 4 nights (Wed-Sun) paying a E30/night premium for a superior room.

On arrival we checked in as per usual and were shown to our 'superior' room (Monospace) - a single room with shower and toilet IN the room on the third floor. The hotel had also erected the travel cot for our son as requested.

Initially we were very taken with the service, futuristic design, roof top pool etc however the thrill quickly wore off...

Some other reviewers had highlighted that they had nowhere to hang clothes - true; that toilets flushing/showers running above seem to run (v.loudly) past the of head of the bed - true

...the hotel is also situated on a busy road (all night long) next to traffic lights - true; the room fit out on each floor is so economical that conversations carry loudly all night long in the corridors - true; rooms do not come with a kettle/coffee making facitities, an iron, a dvd player or iPod doc etc - true; rooms are generally multi-level and hence unsuitable for infants/young children - true; and that if you book a 'superior' room (with an infant) - you actually get a basic room which is smaller "but which is a better layout for the travel cot" - hence the hotel can charge for '2' superior rooms while only having 1 superior and 1 basic room (netting an extra E30/night for the hotel from initially unsuspecting guests (with no refunds!!!) - true.

From a design perspective the hotel is certainly worth a look; if you're a 20 something or young couple visting the clubs etc then it is a very smart address - lounging by the roof top pool, listening to chilled beats etc however if you have a child/children then definitely pass!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank SilverFoxIreland
Reviewed 28 August 2007

I stayed with my husband at the Hi between 12th and 15th August 2007 and I'm really pleased we made the booking. The hotel is designer in every sense of the word although some might say it's a bit pretentious. We got a good rate on the internet (Expedia) and paid 155 euro per night which included breakfast and managed to get one of the 'Hi Studio' rooms which are normally advertised at 290 euros per night room only- so shop around before booking!!

The room was great- the shower was in the middle of the room but was screened by a row of tall leafy plants. The toilet was in a separate garden shed style room (we had the 'Indoor Terrace' room). The bed was really comfy and the bedding was of high quality and everything was pristine. There were bathrobes and slippers provided in the rooms as well as organic toiletries.

The breakfasts were great but I'm not sure we would have paid 120 euros in total for this for the three days we were there, had it not been included in our rate. Breakfast was self service and included a range of mini- brioches, pains au chocolate and croissants as well as muesli, fresh fruit, milk, natural yoghurts served with honey or summer fruits, organic bread, cheeses, ham, tea, coffee, mineral water, hot choc etc and was really delicious.

The great thing is that breakfast is served until 11 am so it was lovely to have a lie in and then a leisurely breakfast, which could be eaten in the restaurant or in the outdoor dining area, which was very relaxing.

There is a small pool on the roof which was lovely for a dip in between sunbathing on the hotel loungers or on the waterbed style sunbathing areas which are set into the decking and are great if you want to lie on your towel in the sun.

The staff who dealt with us were very helpful. There is no room service or mini bar in bedrooms but that's simply how they do things at this hotel and it didn't make our stay any less pleasant. We had a few drinks in the hotel bar but one night wanted a drink in our room and we asked the hotel bar staff for some ice which they provided quite happily. There are also vending machines in the hotel corridors which serve mini bottles of champagne (10 euro each), mineral water, coca cola, beer (I think!), organic crisps and hi energy drinks.

The only slight downside for me was the location; the hotel is quite close to the beach but I didn't enjoy the walk back to the hotel at night and the surrounding streets and immediate area weren't as nice as those near other hotels I've stayed in on visits to Nice. However, it certainly wouldn't put me off staying at this hotel again.

This hotel is definitely worth a visit if you can get the right deal; it's great fun for a short break and well worth it even if only for the experience of staying in one of the 'concept' rooms. There are lots of plusses to this hotel if you want something just that little bit different as a treat for you and the special person in your life.

3  Thank LisaEastSussex
Reviewed 28 August 2007

I was really excited about this hotel after reading all the great reviews. When we arrived I was full of anticipation as to what room we'd get! Ended up with 'monospace' and it was much like entering an ikea 'space saving' set-up! The photos on their website made the rooms look much bigger and I was sadly disappointed. We were there for 7 nights and it just wasn't spacious enough for that long a stay. Our room had no balcony was very dark and I had to wear earplugs at night to block out the street/car (scooters mainly) noise. I was aware that it didn't have any storage in the rooms and that it was breaking away from traditional hotel styles and I thought I'd love it, but actually I pined for a hotel suite with a seperate seating area, tea and coffee facilities, mini fridge, seperate bathroom, storage and the feeling of not living on top of each other!!
There were some great aspects - the rooftop terrace, again was small but really special in terms of the amazing view of Nice and being able to cool down in the small pool, the whole hotel was clean and colourful, access to the internet was really useful and it was ideally situated for the beach, restaurants etc... Maybe we were unlucky with our room. I did have a peak in other rooms when they were being cleaned and the ones facing the beach were much brighter but still very small. If you want somewhere to stay for a few days then this is perfect, for a longer holiday - go somewhere else!!!

2  Thank honesty73
Reviewed 24 August 2007

me and my boyfriend have just come back from a 3 night stay at the hi-hotel.

From the minute we arrived the staff were friendly and efficient. We arrived early (3 hours) and checked in, although the receptionist was busy checking people out she was friendly and efficient and we left our luggage so we could go off exploring.

The hotel is in a great location, so close to the beach (and have to say, the quieter bit of the whole beach). It is perfect if you are getting the bus from the airport as the 98 stops right on opposite Gambetta where you need to alight for the hotel.

Our room was great, we were shown directly up to our room and was shown all the 'mod-cons' ie. tv, air con and we had a fab. bed that tucked away during the day behind a beautiful wooden door. The bed is the best that I have ever slept in!! Wonderful sheets and unbelievably comfy too.

The shower was wonderful too, espically after a long day of walking round Nice and after the beach.

The hotel itself is wonderful, it was fun exploring..the roof terrace gives stunning views over Nice and I definitely recommend it at night, beautiful. The pool is small, we didn't use it, but did see it being used by others, it's a great addition to the terrace though.

The breakfast was a real highlight, a buffet full of croissants, fresh fruit, ham and yoghurt. Could not fault it at all, and wonderful to take out onto the patio.

The ambience is perfect, we found the whole hotel a relaxing retreat. We walked easily every night into the old town and the return to the hotel was a lovely wander along the promenade.

There are frequent 'club' nights with DJs, however, we did miss one of these as we were only there for 3 nights. The bar is beautifully designed and I can imagine that any such night is full of atmosphere. The music that pumps through the hotel is relaxing and I really enjoyed it. The tv. even has a channel for the hi-hotel 'radio' which we found really relaxing to listen to whilst having a siesta!

All in all I would definitely return. The staff really are wonderful and the hotel is so different. If you like boutique hotels then this is definitely one you must visit. It has so much to offer and there is so much that we didn't even experience. Wonderful!

1  Thank mel242