“Great Location”
Review of Univers Hotel

Univers Hotel
Ranked #68 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The staff was very helpful, the rooms are small but clean, beds are comfortable, Wi Fi connection free, the breakfast is fabulous. And the great location: on the corner the main shopping, 5 minutes walk to the Promenade, Old Nice, flower market, the train station and to the # 98 bus stop which takes you to downtown from the airport.
Since train and / or bus trips to Cannes, Antibes, Juan-les-pins, Vence, St. Paul de Vence, Grasse, Monacco, Monte Carlo, Menton, Eze Village and Villefranche are very easy and cheap, for Cote D'azur trips; Nice, especially Hotel Univers is a very good choice.

Room Tip: Corner room from etage 3 or up.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Daysegul

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Ok France is just plain expensive. We stayed here last minute and got a room for 75€. (Book online, not on the phone. Or call and quote an online price for a better deal.) Room itself was clean and roomy (for France) and we got a bathtub!! Downside was that the clientele was definitely budget minded. For example across the hall was a group of adults, about 6 people cramming into a tiny room. Second as mentioned the baggage store is downstairs with a wide open door to the street so anyone could sneak in. But the staff was friendly, the location is excellent and the lobby and rooms are nice. Good value for the money (in France).

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank missKaty80
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I stayed just the one night in this hotel. We found the room to be spacious and clean, the bed comfortable with great pillows, the bathroom was also spacious and very clean. The room was equipped with a large TV with basically no English speaking channels however the Wi Fi connection was free and reliable. The staff were fluent in English and very helpful. There were two down sides to this hotel regarding security. The first was :- They were able to store our luggage for us when we checked out as we were doing a tour before flying out that evening. We were told to take the lift down to the basement and put our luggage into an unlocked room marked "LUGGAGE" on the door, there were also black foot prints marked on the floor leading from the lift to the door so you couldn't miss it. The laundry was in the same area as was the comunial toilet. There was also a door leading outside to a lane way that was left open for anyone to enter. The second down side was:- There were a group of sales girls bringing women off the street into the very small pokey waiting area to try and sell them perfumes. This made the waiting room over crowded with no room left for guests to sit and wait for their taxi etc. The other down side was that the toilet being down stairs with the luggage and laundry were being used by the people off the street so there was definately a security issue.

Room Tip: Look at the size of the room you are booking, some are very very tiny. are they air conditioned have...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Peter F
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This hotel has everything you could really want for Nice: good air conditioning, good reliable WiFi, comfortable beds, and a great location - right on the main shopping drag minutes from the Promenade, Old Nice, and the train station. Staff are all fluent in English and very helpful with local sites, and the room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast is decent and worthwhile, especially since the restaurant scene near the hotel is pretty dismal (tip: go into Old Nice for your meals). They were willing to store our luggage the day we checked out, which was very helpful as we had a night train back to Paris that evening. If you must sleep in Nice (honestly, we would recommend Antibes instead) this is a very good choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stayed here with my partner for one night at the end of August. Our room was 'superior' and was complete with a filthy carpet covered in hair, a stinking dirty bathroom with cracked and black fittings tired, horrible furniture. Our door lock didn't work and we had to be let in by a cleaner with a knack for making the key card reader work several times.

I was ill with food poisoning during this part of our trip. Whilst the room was really awful, the staff were really helpful. We checked in early and left our bags and when I was ill, my partner asked for a later checkout and help with finding a doctor- all of which was handled really well and very professionally.

There is a lot of competition for hotels in Nice and the Univers is definitely at the cheaper end of the market. I understand that you get what you pay for, but I think that rooms should at the very least be clean.

If you have time and choice, avoid this place at all costs. If you are stuck and they have a room, it is bearable for a short stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bp83
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I booked the Univers based on location and because I could not get a room at my preferred hotel. The negative reviews on Tripadvisor did worry me somewhat, but I was pleasantly surprised when I got into my room, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom with bath was spotlessly clean. The air-conditioning was necessary as it was very hot when I visited, but it was rather noisy which spoiled my sleep quality. The room overlooked the Rue de la Liberte and had its' own balcony - not overlooking the Rue Thiers and with double glazing I heard not traffic noice, just occasionally the bell of the tramway around the corner.
The breakfast buffet was just fine with a good choice of bread, croissants and pains au chocolat, bacon and scrambled or boiled eggs for those who want something more substantial. A good choice of teabags, coffee and chocolate from a machine - I did not like the coffee much as it was quite bitter. To go with everything else there was yoghurt, fruit cocktail and lots of different jams as well as salami, ham and cheese. Fruit juice (apple or orange) from a machine or from a jug in the cooler.
Reception had a dispenser with drinks and snacks. I found the receptionists very helpful and efficient especially when I asked about diversions on the airport bus route because of the Jeux de la Francophonie and the visit of the President - they promptly checked the website for the buses. Also good was the availability of a secure room in the basement for you to leave your luggage in once you had checked out.
The hotel is just two minutes from Place Massena, about ten minutes from the Promenade des Anglais and fifteen minutes from the Old Town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Rue de la Liberte and on the second floor as they are quieter and mor...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2013

As with other reviewers, I was impressed by the desk staff. However, the standard of our room was very poor. The problems were inexcusable and included: ants in the bathroom and bedroom (despite telling the hotel, nothing was done while we were there), very noisy air con (which is clearly a common problem as they have earplugs ready to hand out to guests!), a tiny room that means you can only get one leg past the bed at a time, and, worst of all, a very bed damp problem, which stank and means you simply could not use the wardrobe. They clearly know about this as there's evidence of them having wiped the black mould off in the past - they simply wipe it down and hand out the room to new guests. See pictures. I could not recommend this hotel. It's close to the beach, but worht trying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Do not take room 211 as this clearly has damp. I expect the other rooms have the same other problems...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple