“Great location”
Review of Hotel Albert 1er

Hotel Albert 1er
Ranked #37 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel years ago but I remember all the details. The rooms were clean with a large double bed and had everything we needed in a hotel room. It is very close to the beach and also you can get on to the airport shuttle in front of the hotel. 10 min walk to the train station which is nice and close to everywhere, famous promenade des englese is just in front of you. Enjoy..

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Nil O
There are newer reviews for Hotel Albert 1er

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We arrived at the hotel and had the p.easure to be upgraded to higher room (tip: we booked through the website www.booking.com).
Excellent room, well equipped and recently renovated.
The only problem was the weak organization for the breakfast. Not enough room and dining personnel not effective.
However at the front desk the girls in charge were very nice. A good stay overall. No parking so you have to use the public one quite expensive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed in this Hotel on the first night of our holiday as we were travelling to Italy the next day. When we arrived at the Hotel at the check in time, we were told our room was ready and that we had been upgraded to a Superior room. We took the lift to the 6th floor and unfortunately our room was not ready and it was still being cleaned. The lady cleaning the room apologised and advised we could leave our luggage and it would be ready for us on our return. This suited us as we wanted to explore Nice. The Hotel is located just round the corner from the Promenade des Anglais, the car park is not far from the Hotel and is located underground and fairly reasonable. On our return the room was indeed ready and it was lovely, recently renovated with everything required. The bathroom was small but perfectly adequate and the shower excellent. We had a balcony and the views were amazing. The staff were very friendly. We hadn't booked breakfast but we could have for 12 euros. We went out in the morning and found a small place on the promenade for breakfast. Nice as a whole is a very beautiful place and I would definitely recommend the Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

NOISY (night disco downstears etc)!
ARROGANT CLERKS AND BAD SERVICE (read below)
HOTEL IN VERY BAD CONDITION (read below)

Background: We had booked 2 rooms with separate beds over 2 months before the trip and our only request was to get very quiet and calm rooms. When we arrived at 10am they said our room wouldn't be ready for 4 hours, but that was ok as we went to look around town.

1. When we got our rooms they were on the 1st floor right above the NIGHT DISCO. The other room was also only separated by a thin wall from the breakfast restaurant where action starts at 7AM. One room also had only 1 double bed instead of separate beds. We went immediately to ask for calmer rooms, but the clerk replied that it was not possible to get different rooms. I asked if they did not receive our request for quiet rooms. The clerk replied: "THAT IS ONLY A REQUEST" !! So apparently they did just not give a damn. Well I don't need to tell you that almost every night we had to listen to loud disco music going BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!! I asked for different rooms 3 times during our stay and they always replied "not possible". Also the night disco was supposed to stay open only 3 days a week but during our stay they played loud music almost every single night until 2-3AM!

2. One family member got an ALLERGIC REACTION at around 11.30PM one night and needed to get allergy medicine from the pharmacy. So went to the hotel reception to ask where we could find a pharmacy on call. The clerk just SHRUGGED HIS SHOULDERS and said "I don't know". He didn't even want to find out!! So we went outside to the next hotel which was hotel Beau Rivage and asked for help in the reception. They wrote down the address of the pharmacy on call on a paper and also called a taxi for us, so we got the medicine. That is how a hotel is supposed to work! The Albert 1er -receptionist just didn't give a damn to even try to find out!

3. the safetybox in one of the rooms got stuck and did not open although the code was right. The clerk did not know what was wrong and said "if it is stuck still tomorrow come back and we will get someone to look at it". Too bad one of us got their medicine in there so we had to get it open. We went later in the evening to ask again when there was another clerk, so he came to look at it. He had no idea what was wrong and said "someone will come look tomorrow". Luckily we finally got the door cranked open with force ourselves and it turned out the screws were falling loose and made the door stuck.

4. The locks in the whole hotel were falling apart but the lock in one of our rooms broke so that it was not possible to lock the door, but yet you could not get out from inside the room! We went to the receptionist who gave us pliers (a tool) and a nail and told us "you can try to get out of the room with those" !! Unbelievable! We stayed at the hotel for 3 more days and during that time nobody came to look at the door lock although we asked them to on many occasions. They always said "someone will look at it tomorrow", but tomorrow never came. So we had to use the tools to fight ourselves out of the room every time!

5. As we had ordered rooms with 2 separate beds and instead got only 1 double bed in one room with only one blanket I went to ask the receptionist for another blanket. He reluctantly got me another blanket but not the blanket sheath. I said that I would also need a sheath and he said: "we don't have any". I asked him did he mean they did not have a single sheath in the entire hotel and he nodded and said yes. I fought him for 2 minutes finally explaining that I will not leave here until he gets me a bed sheath. He then started walking away and mumbled "why didn't you say that you needed it the first time I went to get you this blanket". Then he finally got up and got me a bed sheath as well.

6. The hotel was supposed to have free WIFI in every room, but as I tried to connect with my and my friends' iphone it didn't find any hotel networks. I went to ask the receptionist, who just replied "it should work". Yeah you bet it should! Well it worked when I stood outside my room but when I went inside and closed the door it didn't. So much for that.

Room Tip: Do not ruin your vacation by staying at this hotel !!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
12  Thank Tom K
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The location was excellent; a stones throw from the beach and promenade des anglais, close to the Albert 1er park, and near the place Massena. The other big positive for us was the cleanliness, the room was kept spotless. The staff were helpful and willing to find out information for us if they couldn't answer straight away.

On the downside, the lift was a constant source of annoyance. The sign inside said it was suitable for six people/450kg and it refuses to move when it's too heavy. Whilst that's ok (in so far as I don't want to travel in an overloaded lift), the hotel got very busy a couple of times with parties of school students who really took over the lifts. You could end up waiting a long time - even longer when it broke on our last day! If you can't handle stairs well make sure you ask for a low level room!

We found our room at the back to be very noisy. There is a street which has four lanes of traffic which travels at the front and side of the hotel. Because of the nature of the rear shape in relation to other buildings it was like a funnel for noise. We couldn't sleep with the door open (I prefer fresh air), and the air con unit pumped out very little cold air. So we had to sleep either too hot or with lots of street noise.

I'd also say the wifi was the most annoying I've ever used in a hotel. Even though mine and my wife's phones remembered the connection we had to log in every single time we returned to the hotel. Sometimes we had to log in three or four times even when we hadn't left the building. Additionally we found a note in the room saying a welcome drink had been left in the fridge for us – but the fridge was bare. I felt like a right Mother Hubbard.

Overall, whilst I thought the people there were great, and the location was very central, I’d be inclined to stay somewhere else when I go back to Nice. We had a very enjoyable holiday, but I do get a bit grumpy if I don’t sleep all that well.

Room Tip: Ask for a low level room if you don't do stairs well. Lots of tour companies and student groups...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darren B
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We had a nice 3 bedded room with a small balcony which had a fantastic view across the garden and then down to the sea. The hotel is basic but very central for walking around Nice, which is absolutely beautiful. The airport bus stops right at the door which is great. We got a good deal and i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jacqui C
Reviewed 8 April 2014

the view from the hotel is fantastic! The hotel is near to all the places you need to go!!!
Choose this hotel if you don't want to spend a lot of money at a hotel! It's alow price if youlook for it so don'texpect a lot!!! The rooms are tiny as the most rooms at most ofother european hotels.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple