“Mixed bag -- not good for solo females”
Review of Hotel Trocadero

Hotel Trocadero
Ranked #92 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 22 May 2011

The good: the rooms had soundproof windows that shut out the noise outside. Did a great job. Rooms were pretty clean. No bugs at least. Service was friendly but didn't go above the call of duty. Didn't try the breakfast at 6 Euros. I felt safe once inside the building.

The bad: 2 x 2 ft shower pan made it impossible to bathe without turning off the water accidentally. No joke. Aisle in room so narrow that if closet door is open one cannot walk through. The pillows were as flat as pancakes and must be 50 years old. No puff or fluff left in that stuff.

The neighborhood is the worst. Didn't seem like a gang hangout as much as a place for stupid old men to hang out on the street corners, get drunk, and harass women. I'm not young or no beauty but was hit up every night going to the hotel as if I was selling something. Pul-eeeeze! I usually like staying off the beaten track since it gets me out of the tourist traps but this area near the train station is scary. Dozens of crude men just hang out on the street corner day and night.

Room Tip: don't stay at Trocadero
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank JourneyDr

Reviewed 9 May 2011

This hotel is close to the station, the neighbourhood is a bit rough but nobody bothered us (mind you we were tucked up in bed by 9pm). Its close to shops and eating places. The staff were all polite and helpful. The breakfast was better than we expected. The room was large with a tiny tv that was so high up it gave you neck ache watching it! But the room was ok for a three day stay.

Room Tip: Book a room on the top floor away from the lift
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Checked in with my friends last March 26, 2011, and end up changing room on our second day as I have been scratching all night because of bed bugs. I ended up with lots of bed bugs bite on my back ( upper and lower part) legs and arms. My friend immediately contacted the receptionist who initiated the immediate transfer.,,but ive already been bitten and until now, the dark spot are still all over my back, legs and arms,..

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lilypond67
Reviewed 14 April 2011

We stayed here for five nights having selected the hotel on location price and reading other reviews. The location is fantastic a very short wlak from the airport bus and equally short to the tram. Buy a 15euro ticket from the airport and it lasts for 7 days and includes the return trip to the airport which alone costs 8euros.

The Hotel staff are very friendly but the hotel itself is rather tired and basic. Could really do with a facelift. We stayed on the 3rd floor. Room smallish, Toilet tiny, Shower and washbasin small. Looking at other reviews I think some rooms have been upgraded.

We did have a problem in that the shower head rail was broken and no sink plug. Reported but not repaired during our stay. Not great but I guess we were unlucky with the room. It didn't really prevent our enjoyment. No tea or coffee in the room and no shampoo so take your own, Breakfast is simple, bread, crossients, coffee, juice cereals.

Hotel has wifi ask for the password at the desk. Only one out of the four networks seemed to work so use Trocadero3.

Bottom line worth the stay when considering the price and location.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Today I became a member of Trip advisor. That's why I apologize 'cause my review is not so updated.
Well, about the trocadero let me tell you that the only advantage it has is the location.
We stayed there for 2 nights in may 2010.
My wife and I are passionate travellers and have gone around the world, and I can say that in Trocadero I got the worst service in all my years travelling!!
There was a man, kind of blonde, in his forties, not very tall, who usually stayed at night. One night we came back late from a restaurant and forgot our room number (we have stayed in 15 diferent hotels before that one in the rest of Europe). We were treated as if we were illegal inmigrants, he made us one hundred questions in a terrible, horrible bad mood. After that we went to our room and came back to the lobby with our netbook to check mails, but it was VERY CLEAR that there was a problem with the wi - fi password, when we asked him for help, he said there was a problem with our netbook and did't even bother to check our computer to see if he could help us. HE DIDN'T LOOKED YOU IN THE EYES, HE IGNORED US.
I really felt a great desire to hit him, but I calmed down cause there was a lot of Europe to see and i didnt want to spend a night in jail.
I hope this experience can help you in any way
next time i hope to write about a god review!

greetings!

Diego
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Room Tip: don't go!!!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank dsouto
Reviewed 4 April 2011

We arrived at Nice airport on time and soon found the No.99 bus just outside the side door. Buy a ticket for 4 Euro-this will last for 24 hours and not just the short
journey to the train station-only about 15 mins or so.Hotel Trocadero is on Rue de Belgique which is opposite the station. It is in a multi-cultural area, safe during the da but th solo female traveller might feel uncomfortable after dark. Head for the main street and catch the tram using your 4 Euro ticket again
Staff at the hotel are very friendly and accomodating at all times even tho some of the rooms are a bit tired - you get what you pay for! The 6 Euro breakfast is a juice, tea or coffee, croissant and a bread roll with jam - that's all.
Take a travel kettle if you want a drink in your room. We found a nice restaurant around the corner called La Petit Biche, good value

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Can't think of any negative points about our stay in this hotel. Our room was spacious with a lovely bathroom. Most of the staff we're very friendly and happy to help. I would recommend this hotel to anyone - it may not be a hilton but it's cheap and cheerful and suited us perfectly

• Stayed: September 2010