“amazing hotel”

Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee
Ranked #2 of 204 Hotels in Nice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 June 2006

although we did not have a sea facing room the standard of the room was excellent. Top marks to housekeeping . Location excellent. The hotel looks stunning from the outside-watch everone on the open top tours take pictures of the hotel.Buffet breakfast excellent made even better with the fab views do sit outside if the weather is good.

4  Thank Sutherlands

Reviewed 30 April 2006

We spent 4 days at the Palais with 4 other couples and Grandparents who came for a wedding in Nice. We were very pleased with everything at the Hotel. The doormen, conceige, housekeeping and wait staff at the restaurant were very friendly and helpful! It was a terrific experience. Our room overlooked the sea (we were upgraded as we went through a travel agent) and we got 4 nights for the price of 3. It was right before the season began so the rooms were less than in season. We would definitely go there again. The location was terrific. We rented bikes and rode along the sea. Although the city is torn up for the new transportation system we still had a fun time. It was a nice combination of touristy things yet still a real city.

5  Thank summittraveler
Reviewed 30 April 2006

Me and my partner stayed in this hotel for a long weekend at the end of april. Everything about it was great apart from room service. It was over priced and the food was cold do not order room service. Apart from that i could not fault one thing. I would definetly recommend to people to stay here. It has a fantastic location close to everything and the shopping 2 mins from the hotel is excellent. I will definetly be going back here. If you do i hope you have as good a time as i did.

3  Thank scotty13
Reviewed 14 April 2006

My wife and I just came back from a week long trip in Nice and stayed at both the Radisson and the Palais.

The Palais is a beautiful hotel, with good service and an excellent location. Bathrooms were pretty good and despite what I read in earlier reviews, the shower pressure was great. The hotel is one of the higher end hotels along the beach front area and is right along the main road.

The location is perfect because it is walking distance to all the major locations in Nice that you would want to go to. Castle Hill, Old Nice, Saleya Avenue, Train station, Shopping, Bus Station are all walking distance from the hotel. Museum's and so forth can be reached via bus or cab. Train station was the most important thing to be walking distance for us because we took day trips to Cannes, Grasse, Monte Carlo and San Remo.

The only problem we had with the Palais was that our room wasn't ready when we first arrived at 11:30am. They told us it would be ready by 1pm. We went to eat and came back at 2pm and the room still wasn't ready and they needed an additional 30 minutes (actually took 40) but they did treat us to drinks in their bar (which is overpriced by the way).

Besides that, I highly recommend the hotel. Also note if you have American Express Membership Rewards, this hotel is one of the featured hotels in Nice. We had enough points to cover most of our stay at the hotel.

The Radission Hotel is also an excellent hotel with great service but the only problem is the location. It is too far from all restaurants and main areas by foot, so you would need to take a cab (which are quite expensive) or bus. That's why I preferred the Palais.

7  Thank Chefboyrvee
Reviewed 28 March 2006

Stayed here in March 2006 during my first trip to Nice. I was very lucky as my girlfriend won the trip to Nice in a competition, so I wouldn't normally get to stay in such a luxurious hotel.

The palais is a very modern art deco style hotel which seems to have that 5 star touch. When you arrive porters immediately take your bags off you, and take them to your room.

We had one of the basic rooms, but it still had a balcony and Bang Olefson TV! The fasade of this hotel is breathtaking, and it's location on the promenade des anglais is excellent.

My only complaint is that the service at breakfast was poor for such an expensive hotel. It also lacked a bit of character when compared to the amazing Negresco which is just up the road.

2  Thank Alig69
Reviewed 22 March 2006

I have just returned from a 3 day break in Nice to celebrate my wife's fortieth birthday,staying at the Palais de la mediterranee, and had a fantastic time made all the more pleasurable by this excellent hotel.

From the moment we entered the lobby we were met with the most delicious smell which was a subtle flower aroma in the airconditioning, and this only added to first impressions that we were in a first rate hotel. The lobby itself was spotlessly clean and the marble floors gave it a crisp edge.

We were escorted to our room by one of the check-in staff,who explained where the light switches were in the room and made us feel very much at home. The room itself was a deluxe room facing the sea, although our view was mostly obscured by the impressive pillars at the front of the hotel. The room was spotlessly clean and the bathroom looked as though it was brand new.The toilet is completely seperate from the bathroom which we found a good thing.The wardrobes were huge and had lighting whenever the doors were opened. The decor was nice in browns, gold and cream.

We only had breakfasts in the hotel. Again they were first class with attentive and friendly staff showing us to our table.Breakfast is a buffet mostly comprising of breads, fruits,cold meats and some hot food such as bacon, scrambled egg and sausage.

The pool is half indoor and half outdoor and was 25C which we found cool but this probably is a reflection of the time of year when the air temp. was 15C.

I found the concierges excellent. They suggested places to eat and made reservations for us. The places they suggested were amazing; in fact on my wife's birthday we went to Juoni (one Michelin star) and had one of the nicest meals that I have ever had. In fact any question I asked including transport to and from Monte-Carlo they were only too happy to advise.
Just to show that everything about the hotel was not perfect I need to mention the showers. This has been mentioned by several reviewers previously that there are temperaure fluctuations when using the showers. This was true and was the only blemish on a truly wonderful trip. However to put things in context I do not feel that this detracted from the hotel that much when considered against everything else.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for something a liitle bit special. There were not many children around and personally felt that it is not a place I would bring my kids to. It was not cheap but I got a special deal on expedia with the third night free, making each night 185 euro including breakfast.

9  Thank scbrown
Reviewed 15 March 2006

Stayed 4 nights in executive sea view room which was modern, well appointed, and quiet, with pleasant balcony. Hotel very attractive, with rather corporate feel - which we liked. Beds and bed linen super.

Outstanding service from all staff - although perhaps the pleasant conceirge staff could have been more proactive and knowlegable about the more routine aspects of getting around Nice. Good security.

Breakfast buffet satisfactory. Eating and drinking within the hotel extremely expensive - although you are well located for good restaurant and bars outside.

Some issues with varying shower temperatures, and no hot water one morning, which should not be the case in a hotel of this standard but overall a good well located base in an attractive city

4  Thank Gaspari