“Pretty average..”

Ranked #130 of 204 Hotels in Nice
San Francisco, California
“Pretty average..”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My boyfriend, friend and I stayed in a 3 person private with shared bathroom for 4 nights. Pros: the room was clean, had a TV and a sink in it. Cons: towels were 1 euro and the room was pretty small and not helped by the sloped ceilings (we were on the top floor) which meant my boyfriend couldn't stand up straight in the whole room.
Beyond the room the facilities were fine but not great and were shared with quite a few people. The toilet was pretty smelly and the shower had a push valve so wouldn't stay on for more than about 45seconds without pushing it again which was a bit annoying. There was a nice graveled area out front of the 'hotel' though with tables and chairs where the staff hosted a BBQ one night (the garden area closed at 11pm). As for the staff, Robert was great and very friendly, but other than the BBQ there didn't seem to be many activities planned/organised by the hotel (such as a bar crawl etc even though we stayed over a weekend). Wouldn't have a problem returning here but I may look around a bit more before I chose it again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Typically, since hitting 30, I try to avoid staying in Hostels - they're all well and good if you're young and fun, but not so conducive to a nice night's sleep - however Nice is phenomenally expensive in hotel terms so I had no choice.

Location wise, it's situated near Nice's main train station, which is great for the short walk, but not so great for the fact that the area is pretty grim; there are some smells there of which to this day I have never been able to source. If you walk in the direction of exciting lights and sounds though, it's a mere 10-15 minutes to the seafront and 5-10 to the main commercial street. Plus, Nice is great. I've been there a number of times and always seem to get drawn back.

The lady at reception was really pleasant. However, someone had messed up my booking so I was packed off, at 10pm following a delayed 8-hour train journey, into a 6 bed dorm right at the front of the hotel, where I was kept up until gone midnight by some awful, braying rah of a backpacker who was basically attempting to get every girl in the hostel to sleep with him.

This first night negotiated with about an hour's sleep, punctuated as it was by the Nice regional government's kindly decision to do the rubbish lorry collections at about 3am, I was then moved to a much nicer room for my following night by the kindly lady at reception, so good on her. Slept much better the second night, as they do have a curfew which - to be fair - they do enforce.

The facilities in my second room weren't bad at all, nice bed, bathroom perfectly serviceable.
I stayed here in 2004, when we basically showered in the back alley, so this is definitely a sign of the progress made in 10 years.

Room Tip: Avoid the six-bed dorm at the front of the hotel if you want to like, sleep, ever.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Vancouver
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The staff at the hostel, it's location and breakfast are phenomenal. The rooms were clean and the building has a lot of character and the hostel price is very good. However, the bathrooms are quite horrible. They reeked and were in desperate need of some very intensive bleaching, scrubbing and regrouting. If it wasn't for the bathrooms I would have easily given the hostel 5 stars.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank rennis_02
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel has both hostel shared rooms and private rooms. I do not recommend the shared hostel rooms if you are seeking a quiet night of sleep, because it seems like the hostel attracts very sociable guests who like to go out at night and come back late. Everybody at the hostel is very nice and hospitable, and they let me switch dorm beds to a quieter room. Like another reviewer has said, there is a bad smell in the rooms from people's body odor, but I'm not sure what the hotel can do about that. It is nice that each hostel room has its own bathroom, so you do not need to go out in the hall. However, the rooms do not have lockers. The upstairs private rooms were fine.

Room Tip: Avoid the hostel room (#1) that is closest to the front door if you don't like noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

My best friend and I have been backpacking around Europe and as we were trying to get from Italy to Barcelona we ran into trouble in France due to the train strikes... As a result we were stuck in Nice for a night and last minute the hostel was kind to offer us beds to purchase. This hostel was very comforting, accommodating, and helpful. The rooms were nice and clean, breakfast was delicious, and the staff was very nice and always trying their best to help their customers out. Great location... Literally right across the street from the train station. The price was reasonable and cheaper than most places here. The next day at check out they helped us print our boarding passes for ,50 € (cheap) and even told us what we have to see before we leave Nice later in the evening... Again, such sweet people! Great hostel... Great experience. Highly recommended!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Libby B
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We are just staying one night whilst en route. We wish we had stayed longer. The restaurant recommended was just around the corner and quite superb and great value. This hotel is really close to the railway station. But still easy walking to the beach. The staff were most helpful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Philip S
Rota, Spain
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The location and staff were great but upon checkin I was stuck in the top floor. When I got to the room there was a god awful smell in the room. There was another two people there so I naturally thought it was them. I casually asked to open the window and also found out they were both leaving the next day

That night I couldn't get a good night sleep, one because of the odor and the tiny beds (smaller than twins)

Next day both people were gone from the room and I left the window open all day while I went on my tour. Came back and the smell was still there, sprayed their beds down with body spray and it still wouldn't go away.

Another problem I faced was the internet. In the top floor the wifi they have doesn't reach well; mainly because the router is on the ground floor.

Biggest problem I had was my second night. I woke up in the middle of the night and my legs had a few bites on them. I had gone to the music festival that night so I assumed that the bites came from there. Took a shower and when I came back I saw two spiders on my bed, upon looking at my bites they were not mosquito bites but rather spider bites.

Only thing that saved my trip was the parking, 9 euro a day but it's private and enclosed. doubt I'll stay here again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business