I appreciate this is a low budget place, and I do not have high expectations as I've stayed in hostels and cheaper places before, but in a nutshell, it's really just not worth it.
- Extremely helpful and friendly cleaner (although she did not speak any English, I didn't feel it was an issue).
- Clean enough room, but I did find a bit of hair in the drain and 2 hairs on the bunk bed (so basically if you're not a neurotic about cleanliness it is quite decent)
- Very decent furnishings with all basics provided
- Could turn up on the day and it would be 57 euros a night (which is cheap if shared with 3 others)
- Wi-fi worked fine although a little slow occasionally
- A Lidl was 5 minutes walk away so could get some budget food / water / snacks for the road trip
- Advertised that it was fully air conditioned but it turns out it can only blow out warm air the whole night, making it well over 25 degrees and HUMID.
- Had to keep windows open every single night and traffic outside was LOUD and constant throughout the night, even though we were on the 6th floor and not even quite facing the main street - and as someone who has slept through INTENSE thunderstorms in Asia, I still suffered sleepless nights.
- Advertised for 24 hour reception which isn't quite accurate as we arrived during their 2 hour lunch break and were left with no option but to pay using card on an automated machine, which meant additional charges from my bank and a bad exchange rate which wasn't ideal.
- On arrival, we asked for help through the speaker phone, and the receptionist whom didn't speak much English told us to come back later. When we asked for help again through the speaker phone 1 minute later, but for parking advice, he chose to ignore us as he assumed he could not help us.
- Parking required us to put in a code through 3 gates to get through (which is no real issue) but the process of attaining the code was long and tedious and we had to ask fro help on the first day several times from others driving in
- A very horrible location although we had no issue with that ourselves as we had a car, but otherwise, you'd be stuck in a very dismal run-down area
- Although the car park area was kept clean and tidy, it was an awful walk. If you happen to be alone, trying to find the light switch whilst going through 5 separate dingy and damp corridors, one of which smelt of sewage, you would find it creepy and unsafe. I was very glad to have company with me on every occasion.
- The bedroom did smell very damp/odd when we walked in but once we kept the windows open the whole night, it did seem to go away, so it didn't become an issue for ourselves.
- Breakfast for 6 euros was probably not worth it, I would have been just about fine to pay 5 euros simply for convenience. There was bread, cornflakes, yogurt and the usual drinks, all very basic as expected. Pressed for coffee on the machine and it gave me hot chocolate which I found mildly amusing.
My conclusion is that if you're not planning on staying over the summer period, you don't mind the odd hairs, you aren't scared of dark dingy corridors, you only need basic customer service (or in this case a machine), you can sleep through a thunderstorm / loud traffic, and you REALLY are on a tight budget, then go ahead and book this place. Otherwise, just pay a few euros extra to treat yourself to a better stay. Honestly.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, ACCOR, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Ibis Budget Nice Palais Nikaia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.