“Don't pass this hotel if all you need are the basics and great value”
Review of Hotel Rex

Hotel Rex
Ranked #165 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

My friend & I stayed in May for 3 nights. Its super convenient and a bargain for Nice. The hike up staircases unrelated to the accommodation are initially off putting but you get used to it. If you don't intend spending time lounging in your hotel room and want to get on with exploring Nice- this hotel is a good choice. I had no hesitation in booking again for a return trip in Sept and look forward to my stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank reefsharkDublin

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Location is great but that's where it ends..., the owner has no interest in you at all... Me and my friend stayed there for 2 nights - our electricity went on the second night when we were getting ready to enjoy our last night out In Nice. We tried to call an "emergency number" which was left at the reception desk for the guests to call as there is nobody there since 5 pm... The response in this number was "no English only French, call tomorrow" and with "not being able to see anything" night ahead of us and wanting to simply dry our hair, charge phones etc we weren't Gonna wait until the morning! After the 20th time of trying to get the elektricity back on as it kept flicking on and off(they have a serious problem with electricity) The owner came Over had no interest on sorting this out and all he was able to do is point fingers and say that we are difficult customers... He eventuálnych offended a cinpensation of half price which we thought was fair enough but The next day when we went to check out he wasnt there and when we ask to speak to him on The phone je told His collegue to tell us that he doesn't speak English!!!
So if you do decide to go there be prepared to be simply pushed away with words---->"it's not possible"
Ahhhh I'm do angry!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Tobiaanx
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights over the Bank Holiday weekend in July. We chose this hotel because it was great for location and seemed like it would be ok for a long weekend away. The staff were friendly but I think this hotel is quite overpriced for what it offers. The room was very basic and we were right by the reception so was quite noisy. You had to walk up a few steps which were easy but not if you find this difficult. The room was clean however the bathroom was very small and basic and the shower wasnt very good. The hotel is in the middle of a residential area so it was quite noisy and you dont get any view of Nice. The location however was brilliant and really close to everything so cant complain on that. We checked out on Sunday morning and they were able to hold our luggage for the afternoon until our flight, which I thought was helpful. I think if this hotel was cheaper then it would be perfect for a few nights away as you tend not to spend much time in the room anyway, however for me I dont think I would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room when booking this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fay M
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Small (family-owned?) boutique hotel. Great location as mentioned by everyone else. Short walk/streetcar ride to the train station. Right smack in the middle of all the action in Nice. Walkable distance to the beach and many, many restaurants, yet it also has a nice isolated feeling and doesn't feel noisy or crowded. As mentioned by other reviewers, you do have to walk a couple flights of stairs to get to the hotel so it is probably not the greatest option for families with small children and elderly or disabled adults. Overall, it is not what you would get in a conventional chain hotel but the staff was very friendly and helpful. Their breakfast tray was a nice touch. The bathroom is small but clean. The room was very clean as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 838krisc
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed for three nights – the hotel is easy to find in a great central location to everything.

On arrival there are two sets of stairs to a shabby landing. The room I had (5) was clean but again shabby. No view. I think all of this is fine if the price was a little less – but for what it cost it was too expensive for what I got.

Once over the initial shabbiness I noted that the hotel had been in touch prior with great directions.

The room was meticulously cleaned daily – yes the shower room in minute (you can hardly sit on the toilet it is so squeezed in).

I had minimal staff interaction but – pleasant, thoughtful and helpful. Endearing in that the place grew on you as time progressed.

The Wi-Fi is intermittent in the room when it was advertised as full access.

The main plus to this hotel is its location. That said I am unlikely to stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mangakura
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I visited Nice for 1 night during a busy time and did not want to spend a ton of money so selected Hotel Rex. The rooms are a few flights up inside a building, so not for everyone. The room is bare bones; bathroom is very small. I agree with other reviews that the location is great and the staff is very friendly, so for 1 night it met my needs. They stored our luggage for a few hours on the day we checked out, so that was helpful and appreciated.

Room Tip: Not sure there was a/c; we didn't see it, so slept with windows open. Pretty warm and a little...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We liked our weekend at Rex. The location is amazing, close to everything. The rooms cute and quiet. The breakfast is delicious and good value, better than in the tourist restaurants in Rue Massena. Wifi a little weak.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family