“Good location but some problems”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nice
Auberge de Jeunesse "Les Camelias"
Ranked #14 of 61 Speciality Lodging in Nice
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Overall- good location, wi-fi, kitchen, breakfast and lockers were all great. On the down side was general cleanliness, bed bugs, number of people to a room and awkward showers/ toilets etc.

The location is really good, walking distance from everything I wanted- train station, beach, old town, galleries etc. It's right behind the main shopping centre and there's a big Monoprix supermarket right round the corner.

Cooking facilities were good, there's a microwave and some hobs, plates, cutlery etc. There's a big fridge for storage but not cupboards for dry food so you'll have to keep that in your room. There's no oven. The kitchen is not open for use in the morning but they give you breakfast of cereals, bread with spreads, orange juice and hot drinks.

The hostel is closed 11-3 for cleaning but this wasn't a problem for me as I was out exploring during the day. If you were on a longer trip and needed a day to rest it may be a problem.

The rooms were quite crowded, mine had 7 beds and there was not enough space for everyone to be doing stuff at once. The lockers were big enough to fit my carry-on size suitcase so I locked mine in there with my own padlock. There's a little pouch for nick nacks and a reading light at each bed which is great, but only one socket between 7 for charging things. There are, however, more sockets downstairs in the dining areas.

Free wi-fi was very handy but don't expect a strong signal if you're in your room.

The shower is in the room and was basic but fine. Just watch for your stuff getting soaked. There are two sinks in the room with annoying push taps that my roommate pushed about 20 times in a row every morning at 7am. The toilets were outside the room with no sinks, just hand sanitiser. Not very hygenic. You have to go back into your room to wash your hands and even then you'll need to have brought your own soap.

My room had bed bugs. Unfortunately it's to be expected in most hostels and hotels (and cinemas and department stores!) but just unfortunate that I got bitten every night. I had to wash everything on hot as soon as I got home and fumigate everything that couldn't be washed. It was very unpleasant to go to sleep knowing I'd get bitten by insects but you will be hard pressed to find a hostel that has never had them.

Room Tip: If you get a top bunk next to the lockers you can use the top as a nice 'bedside table'.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank djembe_caz

Reviewed 10 May 2012

The price is not cheap, considering it is a youth hostel. It has good location, just behind the big shopping mall. There is Monoprix nearby.
The reception was very kind. I didn't have much interaction with them. The hostel closed from 11-4 as i remember. This makes me have to go outside even though I have nothing to do on sunday. It is so inconvenient.
The room is ok. We have our own locker (have to bring your own locks). The bathroom is not very clean though. I don't think they have ever cleaned the bathroom during my stay. It leaked also.
Since I was staying on the fourth floor, I don't have hot water!!! My friend who stayed on the second floor told me that they sometimes had. It seems that the hot water can't go up to the fourth floor.
The breakfast buffet is good. Wifi works well.
Didn't use their kitchen, can't comment on it.
If you have a hostel card, then I recommend you to go to this hostel. If not, I believe there is a better one.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Me and my friends spent there 2 nights,then decided to leave it because of the rude receptionist guy there .We were surprised that there is a lockout time.It is very annoying because they stole the core of your daytime .They put chairs to block any possible way to get in,so eventually the only way was out .That can give you a headache.It is said in there promotion ,it is open 24 hours ,well no..you have to leave 11 o'clock pm.AND COME BACK AFTER ROAMING IN THE STREETS ,FEELING HOMELESS,AT 3 O'CLOCK!!!!!so if go to swimming there is no place to take a shower ,no place to change .. etc..anyway we left hating this hostel especially the wired morning receptionist guy who- obviously has nothing to do with hospitality.

Room Tip: just don't go there unless it is ok for you to stay out all the day with no access to your room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank danielnan
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I ilke this hostel, and the reception staff is very helpfull, but there was a problem with the cleaning lady who stole my brand new sweater. I guess she must have been cold in the middle of july. I told the director but he was annoyed too because he couldn't find out which cleaning lady stole it since it was locked in a room where they were the only one that could have access too. He offered me a discount on the next night, but I had to go anyway, that's a pitty because I guess that with the price of the sweater I could have stayed more than 3 nights for free. Except from that, the staff as the desk is very nice and friendly, especially Marina and Haifa. But beware of the cleaning ladies !!

Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Commodore78
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I am not sure why it says Hotel above - when we booked it, it was called a Hostel. Anyways....We stayed here overnight, and the experience is typical to any Hi Hostel. The facilities were basic, but clean and well managed. The location is amazing – walk able distance from railway station, and to the promenade and old town. We hardly took the tram – because the walk was always close and preferable. The breakfast was basic, typical hostel style spread , but good and filling.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Artistique_main
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Fairly clean rooms. Nice staff, who speak English. Good location, halfway between the train station and the old city

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 18 October 2010

This is the second time that I have been to this hostel and I enjoyed it each time. I stayed for 5 nights in low season and it was not crowded. The staff were friendly and speak English. The opening hours could be a problem and the self-catering kitchen is not the best that I've seen but in comparison with other youth hostels that I have stayed in this one rates highly and I thought that it was bargain accommodation in an expensive city on the Cote d'Azur. There are grocery stores very near by to buy food. I would recommend buying a 7 day travel pass at the airport if your are arriving by plane and planning to stay a while. It was 15 euros for unlimited travel on the tram and buses over a wide area, including the fast bus from the airport to the city centre

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo