“Right on the money!”
Review of Hotel Pastoral

Hotel Pastoral
Ranked #36 of 64 Speciality Lodging in Nice
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Loved loved loved this place. Backpacking Europe this is still one of our faves. 2 minutes from the train station, which is a blessing with backpacks, you find a nice little place run my a lovely young couple. The kitchen is brand new and leads out onto a private terrace where we gathered to chat to our fellow travellers. The atmosphere is great here and we made the most friends here. What sets them apart is how personable they are, we shared drinks with the lady owner and smoked with her husband and when I locked myself out of my room her mom the housekeeper let me in. Would recommend even if a little pricey at the weekends.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 September 2012

This is honestly the best hostel i have ever been to. It has a nice kitchen, terrasse and the dorm rooms are really comfortable and clean. Its about 7 minutes to the beach and old town and i met lots of people there. also the hostess is the hottest and sweetest woman ive seen this year

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I am quite satisfied. Environment is very good. Station is just 2mins walking. Sea beach is about 10-15mins walking. The hotel provides free wi-fi (good enough to do video chat over skype). They provided some free food for breakfast also. The security is also good (three level - ground floor door code, hotel's main entrance key, room key) and there is a locker corresponding to every bed (medium sized, big enough to keep all valuables, but not big enough for an 30 or 40 litre rucksack).

There are few bad points as well. On the first night of my stay the AC was very fluctuating. Sometimes the room was becoming hotter and sometimes colder, creating a uncomfortable situation inside the room. But remaining nights it was okay. Secondly, the private showers inside the rooms have no locks. Lastly, the bed is okay, but not very comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2012

What an experience we had in this hostel! My friend and I booked three nights and we were given a 4 bed room with a private (AND beautiful shower and sink). The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable if you like a bed a little on the harder side but not rock hard at all. The man at the front desk (owner) was absolutely amazing; he gave us tips on free parking during our stay in Nice, he also gave us little tips about stopping in small towns on our way to Monaco and these places were breathtaking to say the least! He was very helpful with everything and he was very knowledgeable. Also, there is a kitchen where you can cook and a little veranda where you can eat your breakfast with the sun beaming on you! Furthermore, we paid 15 euros a night which was super cheap and it was definitely worth the price for being one of the most expensive places in France. It is only about a 15 minute walk to the beach and about 20 minutes to castle hill, however, it is a nice walk and lots to see! :) I highly recommend this place, we have an amazing time and I would definitely go back if I were to stay in Nice again!

Room Tip: The smaller the dorm room the better it will be unless you are traveling alone and are looking to me...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 March 2012

i found the staff (a super nice, young man and his wife) to be very friendly and helpful which is what saved "hotel" pastoral from getting a "terrible". also, location was pretty good as well- very close to the train and shopping, just a 10-20 min walk to the beach. yes, a little seedy though.

calling this place a "hotel" is straight up baloney. it's a hostel. through and through. from co-ed rooms with bunkbeds, minimal amenities, shared bathroom and kitchen...let's call it what it is.

me and my teenage sister opted for the cheaper, co-ed shared option (4 beds total) and i would not recommend this to any young female. i thought the hotel would use common sense with the room assignments, but she and i were paired with 2 middle-aged men. (thought hostels were for youths?) one guy was very friendly, no complaints there. The other one seemed ok at first but was very confrontational about noise and made me VERY uncomfortable. after he aggressively confronted me about noise (and believe me, i tried to be quiet and respectful coming in) i was forced to sleep 5 feet from him. i was terrified and uncomfortable. not cool. there was no staff available and i feel if you are going to have co-ed rooms, someone should be available 24/7 so everyone feels safe. had it not been for this one issue, my experience would have been better no doubt but i cannot overlook this. i also realize this "could have" happened anywhere. worth noting, the other guests were very nice- and not scary lol. but this killed my pastoral experience.
Otherwise, the rooms were minimal, ours was clean, not dusty. showers seemed clean and new. had to share 2-3 toilets with about 20 people which was annoying. there was a terrace where people hung out, so nice social environment but the terrace closed early to not bother the neighboring residents.
all in all: sub-par establishment, should be considered a hostel, has potential to be so much better.

Room Tip: i'd recommend a private room or shop around some more. not the worst, but not the best
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank MJISALIVE
Reviewed 11 November 2011

The location of this hostel is fabulous, the staff are lovely, but the rooms are aged and a bit dusty and the bathrooms are awkwardly set up. It's nice enough for the price, but not completely comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank emilyr13
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Our double bedroom had hair in the sheets, on the floor and pillows. There were worms crawling out of the tile on our bathroom floor and we had no hot water in the shower or the sink. They were able to fix the pipes and get it on the next day though. The room was extremely loud from people who were drinking in the kitchen and rooms next to us, mix that with the terribly loud noises from the streets below. We were not able to sleep all night, even with the windows shut. The rooms are very disgusting and I would HIGHLY recommend searching more before you book you trip here.

The staff was fairly helpful but seemed under the influence while we were asking for directions.

Keep searching, this place is not worth your time or money. You'll enjoy your trip more if you book otherwise.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends