“Brasserie with a banquette!”

Brasserie Le Grimaldi
Ranked #1,240 of 1,876 Restaurants in Nice
Cuisines: French, European
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Great French cuisine at reasonable prices. Friendly staff.
Reading, United Kingdom
“Brasserie with a banquette!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We went here during a week long visit and enjoyed sitting on a comfy corner banquette outside, perfect for seeing what was going on! There was lots to watch as they carved and flambed in front of the customers and it all adds to the show biz! Our food was very good and I'd recommend a visit.

Visited October 2013

“Not the cheapest, but still good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

High quality food and wine and a friendly staff (not too strong in English, but patient and helpful so we made our way in French :-)). That is what it takes to make a good lunch experience for a family of 5, even with 2 younger kids not always happy with their parents insisting on going to "proper restaurants". This place worked great for the 5 of us.

• Visited October 2013
Calgary AB
“Nice little place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Wasn't feeling a 100% that night, so it took me a bit of time to settle on a place, and while I did check TA for recommended places, either they were too far away or the menu just didn't fit what I wanted; I ended up circling the block of restaurants between Rue de la Buffa and Rue Massena, only to keep coming back to Le Grimaldi, as it was offering a simple 'Filet Saint Pierre' with steamed vegetables. Just what the doctor ordered!

Even though dining solo in Europe is not unusual, I'm always curious to see how a single traveller is welcomed, and particularly what table I'm given, as an indication of just how welcoming. Happily I was given a nice table against the banquette outside, and the menu appeared moments later, as well as the standard inquiry regarding water. Without getting too detailed and providing a blow by blow of my meal, I'll cut to the chase:

Atmosphere: seemed more like a neighborhood place despite it's location in a touristy area, and because it's not in the center of things it wasn't packed with exhausted and overstimulated travellers. Indeed, the table next to me appeared to be a young French girl taking her grandmother out for dinner. The decor is pleasant and upscale, and while the outdoor area does front onto the sidewalk near a busy street, you don't feel like you are in the middle of traffic with the noise and fumes.

Service: attentive (remember this is France, so this has an entirely different meaning) and efficient. I felt welcomed, and did not feel rushed.

Food: sometimes the most simplest of things can be the hardest, and the fish was excellent. The steamed vegetables - particularly the potatoes! - were incredibly fresh tasting. After such a simple entree, I was feeling better and ordered the apple tart, which unfortunately was a disappointment. While I understand what I call "French brown" for pastry (good colour=more flavour) the puff pastry was actually just on the side of burned, and tasted so, and the large portion only just emphasized the fact that it was overdone. I was too tired to send it back, and simply ate the upper layers with the apple, which was average.

The bottom line: while a little pricey, overall I did enjoy my meal and experience, and it would be unfair to penalize the establishment simply on a poor dessert. I would recommend this place as a solid choice for an evening meal.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Canucklehead
York, United Kingdom
“A booking gone wrong”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

One would expect that calling in person at the restaurant in the morning to make the booking and getting the choice of any table that the table chosen would have been free at the time promised ? But no! Not a good start. My suggestion that a 10% discount would put it right was also ignored so there was no option but to take another table. Profuse apologies accepted.
The menu is interesting and was what persuaded me to dine in the first place on a walk by.
Good selection of wine by the glass and that enabled me to have a fine glass of 2009 Sauterne with the Foie Gras de Canard which was very good too and the accompanying fig jam from local production excellent. My wife had the Cod with aioli cream and small vegetables that was good and I had a fine Risotto Cremeux aux Gambas. A dessert of Tarte Fine aux Pommes was excellent with vanilla ice cream.
Wine list relatively expensive and our 3 glasses came to E22. Water E4 (50 cl) outrageous.
Total bill E106. Despite some bad points we enjoyed our food and wine and would return so don't be put off just don't try to book a specific table, it does not work.

• Visited September 2013
Nice
“NICE LITTLE RESTAURANT”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

We were walking the little street of nice and went on to see what was on the back end not on the main.So we found a few restaurant and wanted to eat French and this was real nice and classy.It was a little more expensive but it was fine food at its best.

• Visited August 2013