“All in the name?”

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 229 helpful votes
“All in the name?”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

When I arrived at the reception desk of "Jet Evasion" (ironic?!) I had to hang around for 10 minutes until the old gentleman who was mumbling to himself and helping some other clients with their life jackets found time to greet me. I was told they couldn't accommodate me straightaway, and to return in 1.5 hours (which would have been on the hour). [Don't forget you need IDs which they keep in case of theft or damage to the jetskis.]

So I returned a couple of minutes to the appointed hour. For the next 15 minutes I had to watch the nice old gentleman mumble to himself while helping some clients with their life jackets. After enquring whether my presence as a client had been noticed, I was finally greeted, my identity confirmed, and told to find myself a life jacket. The older gentleman continued to mumble but didn't help me with my jacket. Another round of hanging around and a bunch of us were finally given our instructions by a younger gentleman whose watersports clothing and shoes had seen much better days. He was amiable enough and gave a brisk French and English introduction to the operation and safety rules. We were told to go by the shore and wait. While we were waiting I noticed that the reception desk was more often than not unattended, with people arriving and not quite knowing what to do; and clients who had already jetskiied fetching their valuables from inside the cabin - which was a bit disconcerting as they were kindly 'guarding' my valuables there too.

We waited some more while the jetskis were refuelled. At 45 minutes past the hour, having swum 50 or so metres to my jetski, my backside was finally planted on the jetski. Another client and I were guided by another man on a jetski slowly to the departure point; the guide gave some instructions in French to the other guy: I didn't understand it all partly due to my imperfect comprehension of French and partly due to the fact that the guide was not near me and it was hard to hear him. So I set off not knowing quite how far I could go. I just guessed that I'm probably not allowed to go close to the airport, or close to the centre of the Nice beach where there are other water sports activities going on.

Needless to say that the experience itseld is exhilirating. You can go as fast or as slow as you want as long as you keep a couple of hundred metres away from boats and other jetskis. The guide then came and fetched me and told me to come ashore. By the time I got back I had been seated on the jetski for exactly 20 minutes (30 minutes had been booked). I had to tie my own jetski to the mooring, and swim 50m back to the shore. Surprisingly, the reception desk was unattended, so I had to wait a bit more to find someone and get permission to go inside the cabin to fetch my things.

Compared to the slick operation of the watersports activities centre that organises other activities like parasailing near the centre of Nice (between Blue and Neptune plages), unfortunately this outfit comes across as somewhat haphazard and amateurish. They do of course adhere to the dtrict rules of jetskiing on the Cote d'Azur, which is where any apparent loosely strung organisation comes from. It is still a thrilling experience as I said; but in terms of the reception you receive, the way you're looked after, the amount of time you have to wait, and the duration of time promised on the jetski don't expect this to be the same jetskiing experience you might have had in luxury resorts in East Asia, the Middle East or the Caribbean. All the same an exciting experience, perhaps not to be 'evaded' altogether if you're spending a few days of the summer in the area.

Visited August 2014
8 Thank Londonmammoth2

Oxford
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Good and Bad to Report”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Having called and booked a 1-hour tour at 9.30am on the following day, I arrived and was told to 'come back in an hour.' Apparently, the jet skis needed an oil top up. In fact, it was 2-hours before our group finally got onto the water. Communication was poor throughout this time. In addition, most of the pre tour blurb was given in French. Although I understood some of the general ideas, little was communicated in English. Whilst I'm sure that the management would have some 'good excuses' for this, be warned that a booking cannot be guaranteed and that communication may be vague.

That said, once the tour started, it was very good and the time flew by. The views were great as we zipped over the water. The experience is one to have, but perhaps elsewhere.

Visited August 2014
4 Thank callcrookie
Houston, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Superb Day!”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We did the two hour tour from their base near the Aéroport Nice Côte d'Azur to Eze. I took four kids, two of whom were old enough (16) to operate their own equipment.

We moved hard and fast across the Baie des Anges, then out to sea in search of dolphins (found none). The seas were not rough, but we did quite a bit of bouncing. Our guide Michael was delightful, and showed great judgment regarding when we needed to slow down, and when we could go fast (and we did go fast). Our team returned exhausted and smiling.

Turns out the operation is owned by the same family that owns our favorite pizza restaurant (Angelo's) in Vence. We will certainly be back.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank LeRoyz
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Completely ditched us for two hours and did not show up for our reservation”
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

My cousin and I phoned them to make a reservation for 14:00. At 14:00 we showed up and were told the guy had not yet returned from his lunch. At 16:00 almost 2 hours later he had still not shown up to honor our reservation.

Finally we left having missed out on the nicest part of the day on the nicest day of our trip to Nice.

Two days later we saw the guy on the beach and confronted him and asked why he had not shown up.

He unapologetically replied we should go jet skiing today instead. He offered no apology and no discount.

Sad when this is how a business treats its clientèle. When we complained We spoke only in French to the guy and he still had the odasity to call us stupid English and tell us to go home to America if we don't like the service. (Just a point of fact we are French Canadian guess our business was just not wanted)

Visited May 2013
34 Thank TheDavidBlack
JetSkiNice, Gérant at Jet Ski Nice, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
We are deeply sorry for this inconvenience.

Of course, we understand you are bitterly disappointed not to have done jet ski, a beautiful sunny but STORMY day, on the French Riviera, that's why practicing jet ski was prohibited.

However even if you booked by phone before coming, when you arrived to JET EVASION, you didn't get your IDENTITY CARD, THE GARANTEE NEEDED and above all, the weather was really bad to get on jet skis.

We told you to come back another day, as the refund or discount is not available when the problem comes from the weather.

Otherwise, we gave you an appointment at 2 pm, that's to say that before this hour, the instructor wasn't free for you.

We will be pleased to welcome you again and show you how JET EVASION is known for its warm welcoming and professionalism.