“OK food, reasonable prices, good service near station”
Review of Madura - CLOSED

Madura
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
San Francisco, California
“OK food, reasonable prices, good service near station”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stopped by after returning to Nice by train in the evening. The location is very convenient, about 3 minutes from the station and close to many hotels.

I only tried vegetarian food. The main dish (Baingan Bharta, €6,50) was not bad, but could have been better spiced. I agree with another reviewer that the samosa is not good at all.

Service was polite and efficient. Overall, good enough for a quick fill-up.

The upholstered chairs were terrible. I am convinced I had imprints of every metal spring on my rear end!

• Visited June 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Some food is good, but the cheapness is awful”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

ACs are switched off and the main door opened to let the people on the street know who all are dining. The restaurant was empty, and I asked to be moved to a bigger table but was refused without being provided with a reason. Some dishes are prepared nicely, but some are outright horrendous. The onion naan has no onion in it except for butter and flour. A glass of lemonade is charged at 3.50 euros, not cheap it may seem. The TV plays cheesy Indian songs, not the good ones, downloaded from youtube.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank WayneCorp
Estonia
“nice place-friendly service.”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We were in the neighborhood. Looked at the menu prices were reasonable. quite friendly staff. Food was Ok.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Saurabh P
Rome, Italy
“AVOID MADURA MADHURA INDIAN RESTAURANT NICE”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

A friend and I ate there for one evening in September. When we tried to pay by credit card, the first time we were told that the payment had not been accepted - which can happen with using one country's card in another country. So when they asked, I keyed it in again and this time, apparently, it was ok.
However, within 24 hours two lots of money were taken.
When I saw this on my bank statement, I wrote to the restaurant asking for the error to be put right - I also phoned. On the phone it is impossible to speak to anybody in authority while emails are consistently ignored.
As a result, I have to say that I am no longer convinced this was an error.
I would strongly advise you to AVOID. Or at least never pay by plastic!
If I get a refund then I will update this review.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank JF12342013
Los Angeles, California
“Absolutely Horrible!! Avoid at all Costs!!”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Hands down THE WORST restaurant I've ever experienced in my entire life!!! Horrible food and the people working here are scammers!! Avoid, avoid, avoid!!

My husband and I were looking for a late-night meal and came across Madura on our way back from the Gare de Nice Ville Train Station. Since we're both vegetarian and love Indian food we figured this would be a solid spot... boy we were wrong.

The food is average at best, completely flavorless in every regard. The curries were watery, the rice crunchy, and the samosa was the worst I've ever tried (tasted like rancid cooking oil). By far this was the most disappointing and poor quality meal we experienced during our 10 day trip in France, probably the worst I've ever had while abroad or even stateside.

The really unfortunate part happened the next day when we discovered we received COUNTERFEIT notes as change!!! The next day when we attempted to the use 20 Euro bill we received as change, a shop owner informed us that the bill was fake. It was missing a major hologram and inside thread – two details that would have been very difficult for us to notice as non-EU citizens. In retrospect it was obvious the woman who gave us change knew exactly what she was doing as she made it a point to ask where we were from while we were waiting for our food.

Stay clear of this place. It’s a tourist trap that in every regard, from the subpar food to the scammers who take advantage of unknowing visitors.

• Visited October 2013