“A way to go before hotel is truly 5 star worthy”

Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection
Ranked #24 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Cranston, Rhode Island
“A way to go before hotel is truly 5 star worthy”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights this past July. Because there were 6 of us, we needed 3 rooms. We settled our boys into their 2 rooms, and when we got to our room, we found it stunk of cigarette smoke. My husband informed the front desk that I have an allergy to smoke and told them we couldn't stay in that room, so we were moved to another room. The other room was smaller than the original room. We didn't get our luggage for over 2 hours!! We stayed in that room for 2 nights, but after the constant noise (we were across from the service elevator). Meanwhile, the A/C in one of our sons rooms was not working. We reported this to the front desk and were told it would be addressed. Two hours later, we went to the front desk again and they told us that no one was available to look at the A/C until the next day, so my children didn't have a/c. When we asked for restaurant suggestions, the young lady at the front desk looked like a deer in the headlights. We were told to go to old Nice, and pick out a restaurant once we got there. Finally, I asked to speak to a manager. He felt bad about my room and upgraded my husband and myself. He also sent someone up to fix the boys' a/c. He did seem to want to please. The new room was more spacious, however, there was a horrendous smell. Maybe it was because the shower is in the middle of the room and water splashes all over the floor? Also, there seemed to be mold? There was one helpful employee, Andres, who worked the front desk and seemed to know the area and was very helpful. Overall, the hotel is asthetically pleasing, but they had a lot of work to do regarding service. We have traveled to many places and this certainly was not 5 star worthy. i hope they get their act together.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank oop95
exedra, Directeur général at Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 28 July 2012
Dear client,

First I would like to thank you for your feedback concerning your stay at our property.
I regret that your experience is the complete opposite to what we strive for in terms of service, quality and comfort.
In any case, I personally have an appointment with my house keeping team to find any discrepancies. Since your feedback concerning the smell and the A/C we will make sure it remains the first, and definitely the last. We do our best to keep all rooms non smoking rooms, but some guests do not always follow our policy.
Regarding the Front desk lady I would like to apologies, we all have name tags in order to avoid problems like that. On the other side I would like to thank you for your kindness for Andres.
Reassuring you that we are doing our best to improve every day.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The hotel is stylish. Pretty exterior and cool interior. Rooms clean and again stylishly. My issues with this hotel are -
1. I paid 170euros for an mani and pedi and whilst it looked great initially it lasted 3 days before chipping off.
2. I was charged 35 euros to go to the beach and on arrival was told it was 23 euros. When we picked this up with the reception staff they ignored it until my friend who is fluent in French complained and we then got it reduced.
3. Overall I found the staff rude apart from the lovely Italian girl who was working most evenings.
4. Our mini fridge didn't work for 4 of the 6 day's. We complained every morning it took 4 days tofix!
Now I dont normally complain but I do think if staying in nice you could do better. The free spa and the coolness are the only positives.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear client,

Reassuring you that we are doing our best to improve every day.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2012

we are now looking out the window, before dinner, and we already like this hotel ,very well done
room clean fashionable,great beds very classy good staff,great location
the pool is outstanding, parking a bit on the expensive side.the rooms are large and work well
exept maybe a place to put wet towels.odd really

Room Tip: hate to admit got a great price on wotif.............
3 Thank Peter T
Various
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The rating for this hotel on Trip Advisor was supposed to be great - awarded in 2012. British Airways recommended it. What could go wrong? This was bound to be a wonderful experience - wasn't it?
Externally it looked fine. The atrium is airy and light. The greeting friendly. I was escorted to the room. Decent size, painted all white and airy. Not a great view given there are windows 30 feet away looking straight into the room but lets not be picky...
Unpacked and went to wash my hands. The sink was blocked.
Decided to have a shower instead and report the problem later. Jumped inside the shower and found black mould on the walls. Two minutes later the shower was overflowing as it too was blocked.... 5 Star hotel? Recommended? Must be a bit of bad luck. They will sort it all out. Right? WRONG! Despite asking three times for the problem to be addressed and promises from the front desk nobody came.
At breakfast the following day - a buffet is served - I had to collar a duty manager in order to get some coffee. There were no plates so people were milling aimlessly around looking at the food but with nothing to put it on. There were signs for various fruit juice but no fruit juice! When some finally arrived there were no glasses.....Get the drift?
Late afternoon go to enter my room but the electric key does not work. I go down, queue at reception, get a new card key, queue at the lift go up, try the new card key - still does not work. Repeat the process and am treated as if I am an idiot. Of course the card key works I am told. They give me a new card key and an escort to show me how to use it. We go through the same routine....Guess what? Right, it still does not work! No problem I am told, we will give you a mechanical key to the room. I wait another twenty minutes and I am told they have lost the room key and only have a Master key which I cannot have. So every time I want to enter my room I have to get someone to let me in!! This must be a joke. I am on one of those "bait the public' TV programmes and a guy will jump out and tell me it was all a joke. No, this is for real.
I demand another room and .......I could go on and on about the terrible time and the appalling service I had from this hotel that is staffed with such nice, smiling and friendly people.
I had to stand in the atrium of this hotel in full public gaze loudly haranguing the Deputy duty manager before anything started being fixed. I was stressed, upset and lost almost two hours trying to get into my room. It ruined my evening and then I had to change rooms and was late for dinner as a result.
In fairness I was upgraded to a Junior suite - albeit too late to enjoy it as I left the following morning and a plate of fruit and a bottle of water sent to the room.
Any good points you may ask? Yes.
The hotel has terrific potential if they could get the basics right and focus i.e attention to detail. It is not too badly situated although if you are elderly or have young children it is a fair walk from the Promenade des Anglais - whatever the marketing data may say.
They have a good restaurant with an excellent Maitre D from Hyderabad. This man should be running the hotel. A consummate professional.
Late afternoon they have a fixed price buffet inclusive of soft drinks.
The Spa is below ground and so is the pool. Personally I found it claustrophobic. You may find it 'cozy'.
My advice would be avoid this hotel until they get the basics right i.e. do not be a Guinea Pig for the hotel chain whilst they sort out their service. Once they get it right I would be prepared to stay there again on the clear understanding this IS NOT a 5 star hotel
One last point I had bites on my ankle in a small group after my first nights stay. I was told they were from bed bugs but I could not swear to it. The reason I mention it is if you do stay and notice the same thing it would be sensible to inform the management. Since I did not see ayone else reporting the problem I let it go.

Dear client,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for taking time to leave a comment about your stay at our property.
I am very grateful following your positive comments on our staff (smiling and friendly) and on our Restaurant and more particularly on our Assistant Maitre d’hôtel.
Regarding the first morning breakfast I would like to apologies for the bad service, it is trough that we had 3 person’s missing (illness ) and as you said the management did help in order to serve our clients. This was an exception and I am sure that you saw the difference the day after.
Further the trouble you had in your room, I personally had an appointment with my house keeping team to find any discrepancies. Since your feedback we will make sure that these problems remains the first, and definitely the last. Further that we upgraded you directly in a junior suite with VIP amenities. We try to be the most reactive as possible to avoid any inconvenience doo to technical problems.
I would like to express my disappointment in the experience you have had and am sincerely hoping to have you again between our guests. I will personally welcome you and discuss these issues, reassuring you that we are doing our best to improve every day.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My friend and I stayed here in early July for a week-end. The lobby area is designed with white predominant furniture including a white piano and billiard. I disagree with some negative comments seen on the Exedra regarding staff I found personally a very friendly staff at the front, especially Andres and Philippe and generally good service. We made our reservation with expedia and found great affordable prices for a five stars even though we stayed in a standard room. The room was comfortable, large bed and incredible large shower cabin in the middle of the room (probably not very practical for elderly people!).  We have appreciate the free powerful wi fi connection as well the huge choice (almost 100 channels) of satellite TV proposal with large 32’ LCD white TV! Incredible also in the bathroom 18 different choices of bath products, in the Spa connected with the lift from the rooms, the pool is a bit of an experience with the waterfalls and dim blue lights. The gym is not very large but well equipped, and it is clean and neat.
We have also enjoyed a dinner at the Pescheria, a fish and Italian restaurant with a nice outdoor terrace, beside an average level of service the maitre d’ seems not very well informed of the wine list, the food was great, tasty and with those Mediterranean flavors just delicious, the new Chef Giuseppe Mandaradoni is of course Italian I think from Sicily (?) we were only a bit disappointed by the level of the dessert, but anyway please follow my advise if you stay at the Boscolo Exedra don’t miss Giuseppe’s cuisine at the restaurant, it is one of the best in town as Nice have expensive restaurants and not always with good quality!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JackMU
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Please be advised that this is certainly no 5 star hotel, far from it. We arrived to be greeted warmly, and promptly booked in, only to be told by the receptionist that if we did not like our room...... "just to come down and see him" . Yes you guessed it we were in a room with no window, small in size and dark with no chracater. So yes, we went back to see about changing rooms, but it came at a price of an extra €150 !! Talk about pre-emptive rip off. There are no irons, you have to pay, there are no refreshments, like tea and coffee, ...... You have to pay. The was no information welcome pack, when we went to reception, and when we asked for one, were told that information packs were not issued and the information is verbally briefed when you book in ( memory test springs to mind !! ) for a small bottle of Heineken it will cost you €14 ....... Yes you heard correct !

GIVE THIS ONE A MISS ! There are plenty more hotels it the centre of the city, better quality and cost effective .

1 Thank Paul C
exedra, Directeur général at Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all let us express our sincere apologize if your stay with us did not meet your expectation, as guest feedback are always taken into great consideration by the management in order to improve our service and hospitality.

Regarding your check in it seems that our standard was not followed or was not expained in the right way. First of all if the room you are assigned in does not reach your expectation, we propose you another room in the same category. Then upon availability we can also propose a higher category of room (deluxe room or junior suite) with a special extra cost. This gives the possibility to our guest to stay in a higher category of room without paying the full price.
We do not supply irons directly in the room for a question of security but only on request it is part of the hotel service. In each room you also find a room directory where is detailed all the facility of the room and all the services we provide at the hotel. The prices of the items in the mini bar are in line with all hotels as same category.

Reassuring you that we are doing our best to improve every day
Again, we express our disappointment in the experience you have had and we hope to have you again between our guests.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Lovely, clean modern hotel.
Good on site restarant and nice spa.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple