“Very chiq hotel”

Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection
Ranked #21 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 1 September 2014

This wonderfull hotel is 10 minutes walking to the Promenade des Anglais. It´s a very beautifull and romantic hotel with a great service. The rooms are new and very peacefull. The extra services are very expensive (car parking, restaurant, morning breakfast), as everything in Nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoseSilva81
exedra, General Manager at Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Guest,

We have really appreciated that you have taken the time to express your feedback regarding your stay in our property on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to welcome you. Every day the main goal of the management and the staff of the Boscolo Exedra is to reach guest satisfaction, and learning from you that you have found the property and its services corresponding to your expectations is like an award in achieving our task.
Thank you in particular for your positive comments on our location, our service and our rooms.
Thank you once again for your review and we hope to have the chance to welcome you for your next stay on the French Riviera.

Silvio Catalano

Write a ReviewReviews (1,536)

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed here for only one night as the hotel I wanted to stay in was fully booked.

Hotel rooms was very stuffy and felt old.

They did try to renovate the hotel, making the rooms look 'modern'. However, I will say a big rose door handle looked really tacky.

Its about 10mins drive to the beach, so not the best location.

Also, the bathroom was dirty and stuffy as my partner felt slime when he entered the bathroom, he had to wear flip flops. I couldn't breath in the bathroom because it had this "i haven't been aired in ages" smell

Leaving the hotel and breathing fresh air felt good.

I will definitely not visit again

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Iamnotfussy
exedra, General Manager at Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear guest,

We would kindly ask you to get in touch with us, to inform us in which room you have stayed in order for us to understand your remarks with regards to the bathroom and the air in your room.
Our housekeeping department is taking great care of the rooms and bathrooms and also open the windows during each service. We have a painter at the hotel who maintains the white look of the hotel including as well the rose door handles. We regret your experience at our property and we would highly appreciate if you could inform us about the room you stayed in, this will help us to investigate what has happened and to avoid such an experience for future guests.

For your information our hotel is located in the center of Nice, 2 minutes walking distance to the main shopping street Jean Médecin, 10 minutes to the train station, 10-15 Minutes to the Old Town and 15 minutes walking distance to the beach.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to have the chance to welcome you for your next stay on the French Riviera.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 August 2014

First of all, I should say that I had a nasty experience with lastminute.com and this hotel: we booked and fully paid for two nights and, when we arrived, they had no place for the first night. The hotel said it was lastminute.com 's fault and lastminute said it was hotel's mistake. I must also say that staff was really worried about this situation and they offered us some massage sessions for free to compensate (which was no actual compensation, but it was evidence of their concern about this situation). Going to the review:
PROs:
- lobby is awesome! Very, very sophisticated decoration, all in white, fantastic.
- we had help with our luggage as soon as we parked outside the hotel.
- the bar outside the hotel is really cute.
- location is very good: a couple of blocks to the beach and main streets.
- our bed was fantastic. Great sleep quality.
CONs:
- I expected much better rooms: the part of the bed was nice, a little desk área which was just ok and the bathroom was not even a 4 stars one. It was large but seemed as if they hadn't finished decoration: lack of bathroom furniture (a few, too simple hangers, a plain mirror and a even a plastic chair within the shower(????)). I really expected that room matched lobby level and it did not.
- Cleaning of the room was far from impecable: little hairs from previous guests on the floor, especially in the bathroom.
- room was not really worn out, but a little needed of maintenance (both walls and the floor, which had some scratches)
- the additional bed for my kid was so narrow and had such a thin mattress! We always ask for an additional bed wherever we go and it is the first time we have a bed like this.
- a lot of water came out of the shower (or, I should say, all of the water, as nothing stopped it). I called for help twice,as I had the bathroom flooded. They said they would send someone, but no one came. I had to dry it myself with my towels.
- breakfast was really the worst part of our stay here: I was surprised at how little the variety was and they did not refill promplty. We had to ask for missing items on several occassions and, in some case (as ham and cheese, for example, never arrived). No good variety of breads or pastries. Just some quite cold scrambled eggs (no eggs choice, nothing prepared at the moment). Little variety of (non tasty) fruit. Two different kinds of cereals. We were really surprised about breakfast.
- Finally, I consider that the service they provide is correct, just correct. I expected more. Just as an example, when we were leaving, my kid missed one of the buttons of his trousers: I asked for a needle to fix it: they looked over there and finally came to me and said "I m sorry, we don't have one."!!! And notice thai I was the only guest at the moment at recepction (not that they were full of waiting customers). I also saw a lady that was checking out asking for a glass of water: the two young kids at recepction by that moment looked at each other surprised, as if she had asked for diamonds... And said "We have no water here. You have to go to the bar". Clearly, not an outstanding service level.

Summarizing, I think this hotel pretends to be a five stars hotel and the building is up to this expectation, but they should clearly improve service level and do some maintenance to (some of the) rooms, so that guests experience is as nice as lobby is. Maybe it is that! Lobby is too nice for what overall experience is and this created too high expectations on me!

Room Tip: I could not choose my room as there was little availability at the moment I booked.I guess there mus...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
exedra, General Manager at Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience at the Boscolo Exedra, we are really sorry to learn that your stay did not come up entirely to your expectations and we are taking your experience very seriously into consideration..

We really regret that we had no room available on the first night of your stay. We were fully booked and unfortunately Lastminute.com did not do any updates on our availability and kept selling our rooms which were no longer available. We had even reported this issue to Lastminute.com, however they kept sending us new reservations.

Thank you for your positive comments and your appreciation of our lobby, our bar, our location and our beds.

For your information, we have 3 barrier-free rooms in our hotel that are accessible with a wheelchair which was the case for your room. This is according to the French law and depending on the number of rooms in the hotel. In these types of rooms, a possibility to sit down in the shower needs to be provided, which explains the chair. For your next stay we will try to attribute you a different room according to your preferences. With regards to the other aspects you mentioned, such as scratches on the walls and water that came out of your shower, we have immediately sent one of our technicians to the room to take the necessary actions.

We would like to apologize for the breakfast service; we will take more attention on the refillment and brief our staff again in order to avoid experiences like yours. Our American buffet includes a wide variety of fruits. We offer fresh entire fruits such as pears and apples, fresh cut fruits such as grapefruits, oranges, melon, water melon, kiwi and pineapple, but also canned fruits including peach and our fruit salad last but not least we offer also dried fruits. 5 different cereals are available in our breakfast buffet and with regards to our pastries we provide 2 different types of chocolate bread, croissants and sugary beignets. Of course we also offer salads, cheese, ham, bacon, salmon, cakes, bread, etc.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we regret that the service level was not up to our standard during your stay. We have taken note of all your remarks in order to improve our service. We hope to have the chance to welcome you for your next stay on the French Riviera so that you can experience the difference.

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Great location hotel. Beach is only 10 minutes away. Modern design decor. As soon as we got to the front we were welcomed by a sweet and efficient front desk agent named Elisabetta Gualtieri who as soon as she heard we were celebrating our honeymoon got totally excited and make everything possible to upgrade our room to the best room possible. She talked to the manager Paul who took the time to welcome us and send us a nice bottle of champagne and macaron. The hotel has modern decor and free wifi up to 8 devices. The breakfast buffet was very good.
Overall an amazing experience! Gay friendly hotel. Thank you so much Paul and Elisabetta!!! We are now fans ! Merci

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yahwe G

Dear Guest,

Thank you in particular for your positive comments on our location, our design, our breakfast and our receptionist Elisabetta as well as our Front Office Manager Philippe, we will be pleased to let them know that you appreciated their service.

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel within a centralish location. Rooms were nicely decorated. Breakfast was good. Found staff to be helpful with advise on what to see and do as we were there on a long weekend. Couldn't really fault it.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
exedra, General Manager at Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you in particular for your positive comments on our central location, our rooms, our breakfast and our staff. When reading all your positive feedback we are wondering why you have attributed us only 3 out of 5, maybe this was by mistake, however if not please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you have further feedback.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

from the moment we arrived things were grim.

no one on door to help with luggage. husband had to wait in the car, half on street, whilst I organised the valet. when a doorman was around, he bored or aloof. not polite. not welcoming. more like a bouncer.

reception desk had plenty of people but unprofessional and the young woman who 'greeted' us seemed barely interested. sat down during the check in. told us our room was over an hour late, should be ready in 10 minutes then looked back at her computer and said nothing more until I prompted her to indicate perhaps there was somewhere we could have a refreshment?? oh yes...

the duty manager (?) explained that the room was late as they had aircrew in the night before. so? it's a hotel! you're supposed to have guests in the night before! our drinks were complimentary. too right.

so, after a shambles at arrival, uncommunicative reception staff, we finally got to our room.

the bathroom floor was filthy. not dirty. filthy. I'll attach a photo where I wrote my initial in the grim by the toilet with a baby wipe. we asked for the bathroom to be cleaned. two hours later it was still filthy. we asked again (9pm now). two cleaners arrived. had an ineffectual wipe at it with a camp cloth and said it would have to wait until tomorrow when they had a machine?? what about a brush and some detergent? black mould around the bathtub, too. disgusting for a hotel of any class.

we sat on the cafe/restaurant terrace to have a drink while we waited for friends. crisps stale.

our daughter had a roll out/fold out bed. so bowed that we had to put her mattress on the floor.

the room was grubby. no character. like a white concrete box with some random furniture thrown in.

there was no sound proofing of door or windows (our friend's room didn't even have a window!) so throughout the night we heard other guests returning and street noises from 6am.

lighting? either all on like a football stadium, or darkness. no bedside lamps. no sense of atmosphere or intimacy.

breakfast? I can't even be bothered to go on with the comedy of let downs and forgotten drinks, seating. blah.

room 308. deluxe. don't do it. this is the worse hotel we have stayed in during our month in France. saving grace? 2 friendly/normal staff members out of the perhaps 20 we saw in our stay.

we left after just one night and went to the Hyatt - a real 5* hotel. there was no cancellation charges after we showed the 2 friendly/normal morning receptionists the photos of the bathroom floor...

Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank lauradavidgrace
exedra, General Manager at Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience at the Boscolo Exedra, we are really sorry to learn that your stay did not come up to your expectations and we are taking your experience very seriously into consideration. We have already contacted you by email to clarify the situation.
We apologize that you have had to wait for 10 minutes for your room to get ready and we hope you have enjoyed the drinks that have been offered to you as apology for the delay.

Concerning the room, a deluxe room with separate bathroom of 34 square meters, facing the boulevard and booked at a special rate we found your comment on the room not corresponding to reality especially on the design which usually is much appreciated by our guests and the company that has reserved your party which is a frequent client of the Boscolo Exedra, with repeated guests who have always appreciated our hospitality and the style of our hotel. All our rooms have windows, therefore we do not understand your remark that your friends where staying in a room without window.
We regret that you have found some stains in the marble of your bathroom, that gets darker but it is not dirty as it is a natural surface that changes in time and with 10 minutes of treatment with the correct product, done after your departure, the original color returned. We agree with you that we have not been attentive and reactive enough to treat this immediately in the afternoon of your arrival. Regarding the mold, there is no excuse from our part, we should prevent in advance this effect, please consider that our bathrooms are treated on a regular bases in order to prevent such a situation. As already anticipated to the company that booked your room, we have already provided a refund of a part of your hotel bill as a gesture of apologize.

We hope that in the future you will have the possibility to revisit our property to experience a better stay.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Beautiful hotel in the city center, located in a quiet neighbourhood and close to everything. Extremely elegant and luxurious, spectacular design. I loved the white color that was dominating the interior. Lovely art pieces in the lobby.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank norajay
exedra, General Manager at Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you in particular for your positive comments on our beautiful hotel, our location and our elegant and luxurious design.