“Quite all right but some minor problems occurred”

Best Western Alba Hotel
Ranked #60 of 204 Hotels in Nice
St.Petersburg, Russia
“Quite all right but some minor problems occurred”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

LOCATION. The hotel is located at the pedestrian and tram street - Avenue Jean Medecin, 10-15 minutes walk to the old town and the seaside and 5 minutes walk to the train station and a bus station of the shuttle bus to the airport.

ROOMS. Rooms are small but quite nice. Separate bathroom and toilet is a special feature. :) Free wi-fi is available. There was one problem during my stay (I've stayed for a week in March 2012). There were no hot water from evening till morning so I had to wash twice with cold water. Quite a challenge! A receptionist told me the problem had been caused by a group of about 30 German tourists that had arrived that evening,

BREAKFAST. The breakfast room is rather small. So once I could hardly find a seat at 7 am because of that group of tourists who occupied almost all seats. But I should admit it was only once. As to food, it lacks variety (no porridge, pancakes, etc.) but the quality is absolutely OK as expected. BTW all waiters (each morning they have only one) don't speak English.

STAFF. All receptionists are very helpful and hospitable. There were just once problem with documents. They didn't make my receipt even in spite of the fact I've asked them about it. Nevertheless the receptionist gave me the original paper upon my insistent request keeping just a copy for the hotel's accountants.

GENERAL IMPRESSION. There are some minor problems occurred but generally I liked the hotel and can recommend it if you can get a reasonable price. Frankly, comparing it with ibis Nice Centre Gare I cannot see any significant differences.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Alexander P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed 11 April 2012

A very nice hotel close to the railway station and about 20 minutes away from the "old town" and Promenade d'Anglais. Friendly staff - speaking english fluently. We were assigned a room (409) at the top floor - facing the backyard. Must be the quietest room in the building! :o)
Breakfast was ok, we only tried it two times out of five.
Cleanliness was very good. The only negative thing to say concerns the bed - why the rock hard mattress?

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard - very nice and quiet...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The hotel is near the train station and easy to arrive on the main street. The staff was very helpful and friendly and helped with all the problems that arrived. The rooms are clean, well maintained, elegant, spacious. The A/C was noi noisy and worked well. However, I found the bed too hard for my taste.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main street are not so quite.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Perth
Reviewed 30 March 2012

While it is nice and close to the train station, it is a bit of a hike to the beach and the centre of town. The staff were ok, but preferred to sit on their computers than help the tourists. Tried to oversell some tours (which they must get commission on).

Lifts were flaky most of the time we were there, after our room was not particularly clean.

Nice is absolutely gorgeous - but there are better hotels for a similar price given that there is plenty of competition around.

So the hotel was fine, but it wasn't anything special.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Great place to stay, especially if you are coming here by train. Walking from the train station is easy, even with strollers and luggages. We travelled as a group of 8 adults and 4 young kids. The lift is small, so we needed more trips up to our room. Breakfast is nice. Rooms are spacious.

It is located at one end of the shopping belt. The old town and the sea is at the other end. About 15-30 minutes walk depending on speed.

Really nice staff there as well. Enjoyed our 1 night there.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SingaporeMartin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2011

A charming lady greeted us and joked with us that we must practise our French with her. It is on the main road (I forget the name) and a walk away from the train station we arrived at from Italy. I stayed with my boyfriend. We have been to Europe many times and this hotel is clean, spacious, interesting in decor (modern, neutral with accents of plum, fluffy carpet, white crisp bed lined), air con, large TV, separate toilet and shower rooms which were spotless and modern- all clean glass and ceramic. I loved it here and can't think of a downside. I recall that we paid a good price for this too (about 60euro a night).

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emily84London
sunderland
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I chose this hotel after reading other reviews and I was so happy i did. Excellent location, friendly staff, rooms spotless what more can i say.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends