“Pleasant day staff, facility lacking.”

Best Western Alba Hotel
Ranked #57 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We booked this hotel from 4/1/14 thru 4/6/14. We thought it would be a good location f0or access to the trains as well as old town. It was, but the hotel room itself, was lacking. There were absolutely no drawers. We literally lived out of our suit cases. The wifi was available, but I needed to stand at the door to get it to work. The bathroom shower leaked onto the floor and following a few calls to correct it, we simply put towels on the floor to soak up the water. Our first night, we left the T.V. on really, really low. At 4 a.m. I received a call from the gentleman at the front desk telling me to turn off my T.V. as the person next door can't sleep. I apologized and turned off the T.V. Ten minutes later, he banged on my door and said my T.V. was still on and to shut it off. I told him it was off and to NEVER knock on my door again. The day staff were lovely and as helpful as management would allow them. Walls lacked any kind of insulation.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank barry o

Reviewed 16 April 2014

As you'll see in many other reviews, the Best Western Alba is well located. A short walk from both Nice centre and the station. If it's you're first time in Nice, you can get to most other key places by train very easily. (Monaco, Cannes, Antibes etc). From this hotel, you can get to the station with a 5 minute walk.

The staff were friendly and helpful. They speak good English and can advise on getting around and where to go, what to do etc.

The rooms are a little dated and somewhat basic.

I didn't think I'd made a very bad decision in staying there, but thought that maybe for a little extra money, I could have stayed somewhere much nicer and more modern, or for less money, I could have found somewhere as good.

That said, the rooms were clean, if a little on the cramped side.

If you're doing lots of walking on your trip, you might want to go back to the room and relax, so maybe a room with a balcony and view might be worth considering. If you go back to the room in this hotel, there's little to do, other than watch tv or sleep. Just a thought. When we went back to the room late afternoon, I thought it would have been nice to sit on a balcony with a view and watch the world go by - maybe I'm just expecting too much.

I wouldn't advise anyone against this hotel, though do your research and check what you're getting for your money.

I think it's a little on the steep side for what it is, but then again, I definitely didn't get the "omg - what have I done" feeling.

Shop around and give the Best Western a try, if the offer looks good.

I personally booked hastily, as I left things late..........

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank cirianon
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I spent a long weekend in Nice and chose the Alba for it's location. The hotel is what you would expect; comfortable, clean and quiet however, the staff were really good. They couldn't have made us feel more welcome and it made our stay the more memorable because of their lovely smiles and friendly disposition. There's a lot our English hotel staff could learn from these guys.
One thing to watch out for; there's a church located about 150 yards away from the hotel where for whatever reason there tends to be a meeting spot for some pretty unsavory characters, they never gave us any trouble but I would advise using the other side of the road if you intend walking past.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Flash1912
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I arrived very late at night and received a very unfriendly welcome. This did not give me the best impression of the hotel but luckily it was a once-off and all other staff were friendly and helpful during my stay.

The location is perfect and a short walk from the train station, the tram stop and Place Messena.

The room was comfortable although a little dated. The rooms are very quiet and I could not hear any street noise. The biggest downfall of this room was that the floor tiles in the bathroom were broken. I had to put a towel down because I was afraid I would cut my foot. This seemed to be very dangerous.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Amy356
Reviewed 9 February 2014

clean and pleasant hotel,good rooms,very helpful staff.the hotel is in a great location in this great city.close proximity to the station and the old town make this hotel perfect for a short break.i would recommend to anybody.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gooood1
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The first thing I have to say about this hotel, is the location is perfect! I flew into Nice and got the bus shuttle (€6 I think!) into town. I hopped off at Nice train station and from there, it was a five minute, simple walk to the hotel! The hotel is surrounded by cafés and shops, so plenty of places to sit and people watch. It's about a ten minute walk from the hotel down to the water front.... Which was a beautiful clear blue blue blue!!!! The rooms were small but not ridiculously so. They were clean and fairly quiet. The lift is quite small, so take the stairs if you don't like small places.
The reception staff were very friendly and helpful too. I'd recommend this hotel for a reasonably priced, great located lace to stay while in Nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank crazyboo82
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Apart from the excellent location we were lucky enough to get a newly renovated room (number 205). We had a duplex, meaning one double bed upstairs and another for one downstairs. For us, being a family with a teenage daughter, the location on a main shopping street was fabulous. Only disadvantage, if you could say so, was that at the Christmas the 25th of December everything was closed. Meaning absolutely everything in the morning. And as we had no breakfast ordered it was a bit of a tricky situation for us. Afterwards, luckily, we found a very good restaurant in the old Nice, Le Safari. You should try that one! After all, the maintenance, the atmosphere, the service, the comfortability, everything, was as expected and more!

Room Tip: If you like travelling in the city, you'd probably enjoy a view over the main shopping street.