“Perfect Little Family-run Hotel Central to Everywhere in Nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Solara

Hotel Solara
Ranked #107 of 204 Hotels in Nice
San Francisco, California
“Perfect Little Family-run Hotel Central to Everywhere in Nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

This had to be the best hotel in terms of value, location, views, access.

This hotel is Perfect really. 5 minutes walk from the bus stop from the Airport. 8 Euros compared to a taxi. Get off the bus, make a right facing buildings, first left, come to the pedestrianized street, take a left, hotel on your right = too easy!

Got the room with the best view that we asked for (thank you father/son of the hotel); that room was very cozy/small but we had the balcony to escape to and enjoy the pretty views and the sunrises and sunsets.. And we were out most of the day/eve so it was absolutely fine. Double paned french doors led to the balcony. Shutters a bit tattered but we thought it added to the charm. Latch it on windy days/nights. The shower was on the tighter side which we were okay with but if you're heavier than average, you may need a bigger room. I think this was the smallest besides the single. Trade off: Best View!
Room smelled like a new sisal rug after they cleaned it each day. Bathroom was updated and spotless. Bring your own little conditioner.
Father and Son who run the hotel are were so nice and helpful with directions, recommendations, we stayed again at the end of the trip. They gave us a bigger room(all other double rooms on floor 5 are bigger than 7) and balcony, and when the hotel wasn't as crowded, a little discount. How honest is that? Nice...:).
There are restaurants and cafes right outside the hotel and everywhere within walking distance all the way to Old Town. And there's a new looking, lightrail line down the street to old town and the beach/ocean if you can't/dont want to walk.

There are other hotels nearby (but I don't think any had private balconies and if they did probably cost 40-80% more) and we wondered if we should have considered Nice Garden Hotel down the street because it was rated no. 1. on TA. Glad we did NOT - It was on a noisy street with grafitti next door - ughhh!

Room Tip: All Rooms on the Top Floor have Private Balconies
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank finicky1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Burleigh Heads, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

If you just want a real cheap place for a base whilst you explore the French Riviera, this is one of the most cost effective places. If you prefer a 5 star resort - this is NOT your hotel. There is a very small lift (than can fit 3 little people) - more suited to your suitcase than you, so there is a bit of walking up and down a few flights of stairs. But it is in the heart of Nice, on a pedestrian street, with great restaurants and shops and close to the beach. It's a very central place to explore an amazing part of the world.
The Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms are fairly small and basic, bathroom/shower/toilet is tiny, but clean.
We didn't use the breakfast service, opting to head downstairs to a local cafe, but it is there if required.
The free WIFI was great to stay in touch with home.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

We styed at this hotel for four days on a train trip around France.The location was fantastic, close to the train station, trams, buses, the promenade, old Nice and many restaurants. Our bright and airy room had a balcony that overlooked a lively pedestrian only street . I really appreciated the mini fridge. I would definately recommend this great find - excellent value at a great location.

Room Tip: Do go to Monaco on the #100 bus for 1 euro!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
scotch plains, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

We stayed for four days while we explored the coastal area around Nice. Superb location on a pedestrian street in a neighborhood full of restaurants, cafes and markets, a very short walk to Promenade des Anglais and to Place Massena and Old Nice; convenient for bus transportation also. The room and bath were very clean and had everything you might need, such as a small refrigerator, free wifi and a hairdryer. Nice roomy balcony overlooking the pedestrian street. The father and son owners were extremely helpful with restaurant suggestions and information on getting around to the sights. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

A gem. What I had hoped to find. Get off at the Congres/Promenade stop on the airport bus. Centrally located, lots of shops and restaurants below and an easy walk to the train station, (6 blocks?) and maybe 2 blocks from the Promenade des Anglais, 10 min. from Vieux Nice. As a single female traveller I was delighted with the safe location and access to everything - easy 10 minute walk to Vieux Nice, easy to get to train station and buses for my day trips. The door from the street is not welcoming and gives no hint of what's above (the hotel is in an apartment building on the top floor) The elevator was tiny, but once I reached the top floor where the hotel is, I knew I'd come to the right place. Thiery greeted me warmly and took me to a room #6 on the top floor - which opened onto a wonderful balcony. While the room was small it was filled with light and my spirits lifted - I felt that freedom and happiness which lets you know this is going to be a great vacation - I had a small fridge, a little bathroom - - - a room with a view in the center of Nice. My room was cleaned every day and I was given fresh towels. Since I had not booked my entire stay there ahead of time, that room was booked on my last day so I moved to a very nice, much larger room on the lower floor (#3) - with a nice sized bathroom - but the trade-off was not having a porch, which was wonderful to sit on at the end of the day - although there was a huge window with a foot ledge. Am not sure which room I preferred - liked both. I would book either room again. It was quiet, perfect location, and I felt very safe coming home at night because there were so many restaurants and people on the street. It was perfect.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Reneedc079
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

This hotel was PERFECT!

The location was unbeatable - within a block or two from the ocean, in a touristy business area. There were a lot of touristy shops, and fantastic restaurants!

Our room was very nice and clean! There are only a few rooms in this hotel, which is at the top of what I think was an apartment building. There are not a lot of rooms - when we stayed there, we were the only guests. It was very intimate and cozy, and the staff bent over backwards to help us out, even though we spoke very limited French. We had a small balcony, which looked onto the street below.

I would stay here again, without a doubt. We stayed at two big, fancy hotels on this trip, and this small, wonderful hotel was the best place we stayed.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Chapel Hill,NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

My wife, daughter and I stayed for 3 nights at the Solara. It's location cannot be beat--only minutes from the Promenade by the Sea, and all of the central tourist locations. The staff upon entry was very courteous and pointed out on a map the places we might want to visit. The price for a triple, 95 euros in off season (I think 145 during high season), seems to be much lower than other hotels in the area. The problem is that the triple we stayed in was recently "renovated" with jute carpeting. The carpet had an extremely obnoxious smell that persisted throughout the night and it is very rough on your feet. When we pointed it out to the manager the next morning he indicated that all of the rooms are going to be remodeled with that type of carpet. After conceding the smell may be caused by the glue, he did offer to allow us to check-out which was impossible because it was a very crowded weekend. The third day he moved us to a bigger room with normal carpet and no smell. I have stayed in hotels around the world for 35 years and never seen smelly jute carpeting in a room. The rooms are also in need of repair with some mold build up in the bathrooms. It is a very basic room and pushes the 2 star rating in my opinion. It looks as if this hotel is a constant maintenance nightmare as it is located on the 4th and 5th floors of a very old building. While the staff was very nice and the location excellent, I would not stay there again and unless you are only looking for a night in Nice, would suggest you weigh other options. If price and location are your only concern than it may be your only alternative.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family