“Wonderful Hotel, Highly recommended for your stay in Nice”
Review of Hotel Solara

Hotel Solara
Ranked #103 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Toronto
“Wonderful Hotel, Highly recommended for your stay in Nice”
Reviewed 13 November 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one week in October 2010 (16th - 23rd) and would highly recommend this hotel for your visit to Nice.
The staff and Service
First, the family who owns this hotel are wonderful ambassadors for the city of Nice and France. My trip started out on a disastrous note. My purse with my passports, wallet, bank cards and ID was stolen on the train from Paris to Nice. After filing a police report and walking many blocks I reached the hotel and was greeted by the son of the owner of the hotel. He made an incredibly difficult day so much easier. I fully expected that I would not be able to check in to the hotel as I had no ID and my card that I booked the hotel for the reservation was now cancelled. Instead of refusing to honour my reservation, I was greeted with kindness and understanding. The next morning the breakfast offered to guests was delivered to my room. It is 8 Euros but you receive a very nice French breakfast (baguettes, croissants, orange juice and coffee) with the convenience of having it in your room. The father who owns the hotel asked if he could assist me. I had money wired from my bank and an emergency visa card was delivered to the hotel so I was able to pay my bill and enjoy my stay in Nice. The fact that the owners of the hotel offered to assist a guest in this circumstance speaks to this hotel’s dedication to customer service and to their humanity.
The location
The hotel is in a wonderful location for tourists on Rue de France. You can walk from the train station. It is about a 15 minute walk. It is located behind the beautiful Promenade des Anglais and within walking distance of Vieux Nice. As you leave the hotel you will find many wonderful restaurants and cafes to choose from. The Massena museum is located close to the hotel. The price is very reasonable and provides excellent value for such a location in Nice. The security is excellent at the hotel. It is very clean.
The Room
I stayed in Room 7 on the 5th floor. The room was immaculate and regular housekeeping services were provided daily. The room was quite large and has a lovely terrace with 2 chairs and a table. You can enjoy some nice French wine and cheese on your own private terrace. The room had a fridge so you can store some food for a snack or if you are on a budget this would be of great assistance. The bathroom contained a shower. It was a very nice modern shower with very good water pressure. The hot water was always consistent and I did not encounter water leaks after using the shower. The door is well constructed. The bed was very comfortable. I enjoyed a good sleep during my stay. For the convenience of the guests you have free WIFI access. This was invaluable as I needed to email and contact many agencies. The access was consistent and reliable.
Merci Beaucoup Hotel Solara. You made my stay in Nice very enjoyable and I wish you continued success in your business. You certainly deserve it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank mmctrip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
montreal
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Budget hotel on pedestrian street, one block away from Promenade des Anglais; small fridge in room; Wi-Fi available but no computer available if you don't have your own...just ask the person at the reception desk though...very helpful, will look up info for you (train schedule, wheather, etc). All in all, pleasant stay in a beautiful city.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Salsaaddict
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2010

This hotel is on the 4th and 5th floors of a building on a pedestrianised street just a short walk from the prom. It is surrounded by restaurants, cafes, bars and shops and within walking distance of the old town and also the railway station The rooms are basic and lack wardrobe and drawer space but get a room on the 5th floor and the terrace/balcony ( although needing a face-lift!). more than make up for this .The bathroom is small but newly renovated - although ours already needed some attention - the shower head would not stay up and the pop-up waste did not pop-up! The staff are pleasant and helpful. Did not have breakfast in the hotel as there are 2 cafes across the street that serve continental breakfasts for 3 or 4 euros per person less than the hotel.
If you want a budget base in Nice then I recommend the Solara without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsAholidaymaker
Sydney
Reviewed 11 September 2010

Quite simply the best budget hotel I have stayed in with quite possibly the friendliest staff in France!!

We spent 3 nights here in September and had a great time, the rooms are spacious clean, and tidy. And the Hotel is right in the centre of the action in the old part of nice.

Would stay here again in a flash!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Ultracrepidarian
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I stayed here for three nights with my boyfriend and we couldn't have asked for a better place to stay; the location. size, and price were all to our liking. The rooms overlook the pedestrian street, so there was always great people-watching. The room was a great size with room for double-bed, small table, refrigerator, and two chairs. The bathroom seemed brand new. I do have to say that the best part was the balcony - though a little more expensive, it was completely worth it. Do ask when you book if there are rooms available with a balcony - when I booked there weren't, but I asked to be informed if any opened up and I was!

Also, the owner is great - we forgot to check out before our early flight, and had to leave him a note - but he was completely understanding and cooperative.

It is on the fourth floor of an apartment building, and with only a tiny elevator for two, so if stairs are no good for you - I wouldn't recommend it. Otherwise, Hotel Solara was great on all accounts!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank imayoungtraveler
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We were recommended this hotel by the owner of the Nice Garden Hotel (which was full). We could not have faulted the recommendations - the Hotel Solara was wonderfull! Typically 3* French, but excellent. The owner, who looked after us brilliantly, has been renovating what was obviousely a run down hotel and has done an excellent job. Clean, well furnished, very friendly, multi lingual staff, greaty roof top balconies off rooms 8 - 14 (rom 14 was the best I think). On the main avenue for evening restauarants and only 5 mins from the beach - this is the most perfect base for a week or more in Nice. 4* luxury it may not be, but 3* value, comfort and friendlyness it is. Stay here if you are on a 100 Euors a night nudget. PS. The owner served us breakfast on our balcony every morning!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alastair_Karen
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 July 2010

I also found this hotel from Rick Steves' guide book. Staying with this hotel is a good experience. While the exterior is not very impressive (more like a regular local residence), the room is pretty good and the location is just awesome. It is right in the center of Nice Pedestrian area (you can look down from your balcony and see people dine and walk around) and the hotel itself is a block away from beach front.

This is my review of their room.
The room is very clean with AC with a comfortable bed.
The staff (father and his son) are very friendly and helpful, speaking good English.
You are in the heart of Nice pedestrian center.
Beach front is just a block away.
You got optional breakfast so you can decide whether you want to eat there or outside.
Free Wifi is provided.

This is a pretty good hotel and I would recommend it. It is not fancy but it gets everything you need. Most important, it is clean.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo