“If you're looking for location, value, safety and cleanliness...this is IT”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Solara

Hotel Solara
Ranked #107 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Asia
“If you're looking for location, value, safety and cleanliness...this is IT”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

As I was clearly aware, the rooms are small and simple. However, this hotel was exactly what I was looking for. It's in a fantastic location (right in the pedestrian area, 5 minute walk from the tram and from the seaside), is nice and clean (rooms have apparently been redone recently), safe (I was travelling alone) and a great value.

There isn't a restaurant, but you can have breakfast served in your room if you like. There are little fridges which are helpful. The only thing I would have enjoyed them adding-either in the room or perhaps in the lobby would be a little station to make tea or coffee.

It's the service that really prompted me to write this review. The owner was at the front desk each day and gave me a nightly restaurant recommendation, often made reservations for me, helped me get to museums, helped me book concert tickets, even helped me take the bus back to the airport (so easy from the hotel location) instead of a taxi, saving me about 35 Euros. He was just FANTASTIC and I can't say enough about his willingness to help.

So-if you like the smaller hotels, where they know your name, and you feel very safe, and are willing to give up the 'big chain' hotel frills, this is your place.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat, if I was alone or with a friend that was also a lower-maintenance type of person. Try to get a room with a little balcony...a nice touch.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Tanya S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one week in October 2010 (16th - 23rd) and would highly recommend this hotel for your visit to Nice.
The staff and Service
First, the family who owns this hotel are wonderful ambassadors for the city of Nice and France. My trip started out on a disastrous note. My purse with my passports, wallet, bank cards and ID was stolen on the train from Paris to Nice. After filing a police report and walking many blocks I reached the hotel and was greeted by the son of the owner of the hotel. He made an incredibly difficult day so much easier. I fully expected that I would not be able to check in to the hotel as I had no ID and my card that I booked the hotel for the reservation was now cancelled. Instead of refusing to honour my reservation, I was greeted with kindness and understanding. The next morning the breakfast offered to guests was delivered to my room. It is 8 Euros but you receive a very nice French breakfast (baguettes, croissants, orange juice and coffee) with the convenience of having it in your room. The father who owns the hotel asked if he could assist me. I had money wired from my bank and an emergency visa card was delivered to the hotel so I was able to pay my bill and enjoy my stay in Nice. The fact that the owners of the hotel offered to assist a guest in this circumstance speaks to this hotel’s dedication to customer service and to their humanity.
The location
The hotel is in a wonderful location for tourists on Rue de France. You can walk from the train station. It is about a 15 minute walk. It is located behind the beautiful Promenade des Anglais and within walking distance of Vieux Nice. As you leave the hotel you will find many wonderful restaurants and cafes to choose from. The Massena museum is located close to the hotel. The price is very reasonable and provides excellent value for such a location in Nice. The security is excellent at the hotel. It is very clean.
The Room
I stayed in Room 7 on the 5th floor. The room was immaculate and regular housekeeping services were provided daily. The room was quite large and has a lovely terrace with 2 chairs and a table. You can enjoy some nice French wine and cheese on your own private terrace. The room had a fridge so you can store some food for a snack or if you are on a budget this would be of great assistance. The bathroom contained a shower. It was a very nice modern shower with very good water pressure. The hot water was always consistent and I did not encounter water leaks after using the shower. The door is well constructed. The bed was very comfortable. I enjoyed a good sleep during my stay. For the convenience of the guests you have free WIFI access. This was invaluable as I needed to email and contact many agencies. The access was consistent and reliable.
Merci Beaucoup Hotel Solara. You made my stay in Nice very enjoyable and I wish you continued success in your business. You certainly deserve it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank mmctrip
montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

Budget hotel on pedestrian street, one block away from Promenade des Anglais; small fridge in room; Wi-Fi available but no computer available if you don't have your own...just ask the person at the reception desk though...very helpful, will look up info for you (train schedule, wheather, etc). All in all, pleasant stay in a beautiful city.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Salsaaddict
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

This hotel is on the 4th and 5th floors of a building on a pedestrianised street just a short walk from the prom. It is surrounded by restaurants, cafes, bars and shops and within walking distance of the old town and also the railway station The rooms are basic and lack wardrobe and drawer space but get a room on the 5th floor and the terrace/balcony ( although needing a face-lift!). more than make up for this .The bathroom is small but newly renovated - although ours already needed some attention - the shower head would not stay up and the pop-up waste did not pop-up! The staff are pleasant and helpful. Did not have breakfast in the hotel as there are 2 cafes across the street that serve continental breakfasts for 3 or 4 euros per person less than the hotel.
If you want a budget base in Nice then I recommend the Solara without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsAholidaymaker
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

Quite simply the best budget hotel I have stayed in with quite possibly the friendliest staff in France!!

We spent 3 nights here in September and had a great time, the rooms are spacious clean, and tidy. And the Hotel is right in the centre of the action in the old part of nice.

Would stay here again in a flash!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Ultracrepidarian
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

I stayed here for three nights with my boyfriend and we couldn't have asked for a better place to stay; the location. size, and price were all to our liking. The rooms overlook the pedestrian street, so there was always great people-watching. The room was a great size with room for double-bed, small table, refrigerator, and two chairs. The bathroom seemed brand new. I do have to say that the best part was the balcony - though a little more expensive, it was completely worth it. Do ask when you book if there are rooms available with a balcony - when I booked there weren't, but I asked to be informed if any opened up and I was!

Also, the owner is great - we forgot to check out before our early flight, and had to leave him a note - but he was completely understanding and cooperative.

It is on the fourth floor of an apartment building, and with only a tiny elevator for two, so if stairs are no good for you - I wouldn't recommend it. Otherwise, Hotel Solara was great on all accounts!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank imayoungtraveler
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

We were recommended this hotel by the owner of the Nice Garden Hotel (which was full). We could not have faulted the recommendations - the Hotel Solara was wonderfull! Typically 3* French, but excellent. The owner, who looked after us brilliantly, has been renovating what was obviousely a run down hotel and has done an excellent job. Clean, well furnished, very friendly, multi lingual staff, greaty roof top balconies off rooms 8 - 14 (rom 14 was the best I think). On the main avenue for evening restauarants and only 5 mins from the beach - this is the most perfect base for a week or more in Nice. 4* luxury it may not be, but 3* value, comfort and friendlyness it is. Stay here if you are on a 100 Euors a night nudget. PS. The owner served us breakfast on our balcony every morning!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple