“A true gem: Nice Garden Hotel, Nice, France”
Review of Nice Garden Hotel

Nice Garden Hotel
Ranked #39 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Cannot say enough about the fantastic service and experience at the Nice Garden Hotel. We spent 5 nights in room 4 overlooking the beautiful outdoor garden (which we also ate in). Marion is a gracious hostess as well as her assistant Bogna and her parents Madame Renatta and Monsieur. The room was spacious and immaculate. The location was perfect for exploring Nice and taking day trips to Cannes, Monaco, St. Vence de Paul, Eze, St. Jean de Cap Ferrat, and Antibes. We enjoyed the breakfast (at an additional cost) some mornings but it is not required if you prefer to get breakfast in town. The hostess and her staff will also assist in restaurant recommendations, directions, train and bus schedules, and anything you may need ( including mats and towels for the beach). We also met wonderful other guests staying here from around the world as the hotel has approximately 10 rooms with shared garden space at breakfast. We can't wait to come back and cannot be more complimentary of the wonderful people and service at this amazing hotel. Thank you Marion and Bogna for an unforgettable experience. 5 stars plus *******.

Room Tip: Loved room 4 (superior room off the garden).
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 May 2013

From the moment we arrived we felt like we were visiting friends. Marion and Dominic looked after us extremely well. Helping us with travel arrangements and suggestions on places of interest. On our final day on Marion's recommendation we visited "Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild" a beautiful Villa and gardens overlooking the sea.
The garden at the hotel is a delight to sit in, the orange blossom smelt wonderful.
We will certainly be recommending this hotel to our friends.
Coral & Roy from Lancashire

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4 which was very comfortable
1  Thank CoralRigby
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We loved our stay at Nice Garden Hotel! This small hotel has its own delightful, fragrant garden and the perfume of orange blossoms and roses surrounded us at breakfast. Marion, Dominik and Bogna were wonderful and welcomed us with genuine hospitality. Thank you especially to Dominik who kindly arranged a lunch reservation at La Coulombe d'Or in St Paul de Vence. We certainly plan to return as soon as possible and will hope to meet you all again. Au revoir.

Seamus and Judy

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sinead2you
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We just returned from a 5-night stay at this charming family run hotel. The service here was wonderful. Marion, the owner, was extremely courteous and helpful. Dominic and the other young lady that works there (sorry, can't remember name!), tended to our every need and question. They gave us great restaurant recommendations, offered advice on how to get to the places we were visiting, and arranged for a very early taxi service the day we were leaving. The location is extremely convenient to the promenade, the old town, shopping, etc. The rooms were clean and typical of a European small hotel. We did not take part in the 8.5 euro breakfast offered as we do not normally eat a big breakfast. However, we saw it served and it looked very good. We definitely recommend this hotel. Thank you!!

3  Thank travellingfamilyfive
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We were given a very warm welcome on arrival. This small family hotel offers comfortable, clean rooms at a very reasonable prices. All rooms are very individual which is a pleasant change from the usual modern style hotels. Some of them overlook the pretty garden which is lovely.
Breakfast was continental style offering ham, cheese, fresh bread & croissants. We chose to take it in the garden as the weather was fine.
All the staff were very helpful and couldn't do enough to make our stay comfortable.
We had a small problem with our shower but this was dealt with straight away.
A 2 star hotel with 5 star service!
Great location

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden are lighter. The staff will try and find a room that suits your needs...
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Have just read a pretty bad review of the nice garden, My review will take everything in context, You need to rate the overall experience and take evrything into consideration, first of all this is a 2 star rated hotel not a 5 star.
It costme 85 euro a night for a hotel in Nice the main city in the south of France, yeah I could have paid more and got a much better hotel, but what do you actually want from a hotel room,
a clean room, a nice comforttble bed and a good breakfast with good customer care , Imsorry but this hotel ticked all thse boxes, Its i the centre of a large provincial city in the middle of a tourist magent socome on , cut a bit o slack here!
Our room was clean, the bed was nice and firm, the owner could not do enoughthe staff were great, our flght was late at night , she gave us coffee in the afternoon, kept our bags , offered us a room to clean up , were lse would you get this,breakfast , well yeah at first we thought
8.5 euros was a lot but when w saw it was 2.5 euros just for a coffee outside we got good value, my wife loves her cereal and when i told the lass at breakfast this I was told just ot help ourselfs to wonderful granol, I thought the crosiants were good, regards fatty meet, this is what continental salami contains! , our bread was ok we had access to as muchorange juic as we wanted and ok the cheese was pre-packed but each to heir own, if the cheese is pre-packed it has not been touched and its more hygienic, yeah the coffee wasnt great but it was acceptable
as Ive said take the overall experience inconsideration and for waht you pay and given the rating the hotel is great, yeah you could pay more an get better but tell you something you wont get better customer , this hotel will always go out of its way to help, just ask, and they will accomodate you, they are very flexible, how many hotels ive you a free safe and fridge, I will go ack to nice and I will go to the nice garden hotel, a nice touch is all the previous guests leaving gude books and mags
Marion is a lovely woman and her customer service is second to none we had room 3 andit was perfectly adequate.

4  Thank LETITROCK
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We just came back from a stay at Nice garden hotel. First I have to say that staff and the owner are the most pleasant people. Very nice and helpful. And the location you can't beat...very central, very close to the promenade and to the old town. There are 3 Japanese restaurants near the hotel that we tried and loved. Rooms were pretty clean and bedding was fresh.

Now cons:

We did not get the superior room and decided to settle for just regular room #5. There are plenty of pictures of this particular room in reviews already, it's the one with flowers over the bed.

Our room was overlooking the garden and in the morning people were so lowed that we had to close the window. But that has nothing to do with the room itself. Just that it can be pretty noisy at breakfast.

Room was very damp, as we walked in I smelled dampness. Ventilation in the bathroom, even if left on all day did not ventilate enough. After we took a shower, if bathroom door would be closed, we would have condensation running down walls and the mirror. Towels would always be very damp so we had to throw them on the floor to keep the floor from being wet and slippery. Very unpleasant. Also perhaps due to this dampness the wood in the bathroom was cracking and paint looked pretty dirty and moldy. Water in the shower would not drain properly so my feet would always be in the puddle of water...overall pretty uncomfortable.

Wi Fi is free of charge, but I could not get it in our room on my iphone or ipad. Thankfully my husband's computer would pick it up and I had connection with my family. The owner is away of the situation but unfortunately is doing nothing to change it. We asked for a different room, but were told there aren't any at the moment. We were offered another room the next day, but the room was located right off of the reception and could get pretty noisy as indicated by allot of reviews.

Breakfast: We ordered breakfast the first day, were told that it's typical french breakfast with baguette, croissant, ham, cheese etc....
It was horrible...Breads were stale, croissant was made with either margarine or some sort of fat which solidified from old age and I could feel on my teeth, cheese was prepackaged slices, ham was some sort of salami with huge pieces of fat in it. Coffee was terrible. and for the price of 8:50 per person we were able to eat much better every morning getting our croissants and coffee some place else.

There was also a bug running down the table as breakfast one morning, but my husband had a chance to kill it before I actually saw if it was a roach or just some bug that wondered in from the garden.

Furniture was very old...metal garden chairs in the room were so shaky that I almost fell off of one, bed was ok. There is a clothing rack instead of the closet which was a little problematic with all the moisture from the bathroom and I guess from outside or from the basement. My clothes always felt damp. And when I washed some socks it took 3 days to dry.

Floor, I should mention that floor was covered with straw carpet???? OMG walking on it was the most uncomfortable. Perhaps laying regular carpet or hardwood floor would result in it being ruined from all the dampness....? I don't know. Or perhaps it was the cheapest solution.

Overall I guess you get what you pay for and it was pretty inexpensive ..we should account for that...I would prefer that it would be just slightly more expensive but all the things that is wrong with it would be taken care of. This place definitely needs major renovation. We stayed at B&B s before at different parts of the world, but I guess this one was the worst. Too bad, considering location.

This place is definitely very overrated on Tripadvizor. Far from #2 hotel in Nice.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple