“A Good Value, But Not What We Were Hoping For”
Review of Nice Garden Hotel

and 1 more site!
Nice Garden Hotel
Ranked #34 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel based on the amazing TripAdvisor reviews and the great value. I was a bit hesitant as it was definitely a "steal" compared with the other hotels we were looking at, but decided to give it a try. While the hotel was no means bad, it really to me does not deserve as high of a TA rating as it has. It is more like a guest-house, just a step above a hostel.

Pros:
- Lovely garden in which breakfast was served (didn't add the breakfast to our stay so can't comment on the quality)
- Friendly staff who were very helpful with questions prior to the trip.

Cons:
- Room was small, poorly lit, and just seemed dreary.
- Impossibly small shower. Have stayed all over Europe in various hotels, B&B's, apartments, and guest-houses but it was literally too small to even reach down to pick up a shampoo bottle from the ground (your back would hit the shower door and knock it open).
- Location: This was our least favorite aspect. In retrospect we would have been much happier in Old Town. It is close to the train station and just a few blocks from the beach but is in a fairly dingy neighborhood. Next door for example instead of a quaint bistro there is a fried chicken restaurant. 20+ minute walk every night to Old Town to go to dinner (all of the recommended restaurants were there, none near us) and long walk to the bus station (we used Nice as our home base and traveled to different areas on the coast every day).

Ultimately I would not recommend this hotel to someone unless their only criteria is value. I think this is when one must be wary of TA stars, only because everyone's criteria for a "great" hotel is a little different.

• Stayed: August 2012
12  Thank mollyms619

Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

It's our last day in Paris. Looking back the last couple weeks, we really would like to thank Marian, her daughter Anna and other staff at Nice Garden Hotel, who gave us such warm welcome when we arrived our first stop in France. We loved the location of the hotel. We took buses and trains to Cap Ferrat, Eze Village, Menton, Antibes and Cannes. The Mediterranean coastline scenery was breathtaking. After a full day in the sun, we loved returning to our comfortable hotel room to rest up for next day's journey. The staff was extremely friendly and provided great direction on taking buses and trains. Unfortunately we found out that kind of service was hard to come by in Paris. It's true the bathroom was a little small. But we would choose Nice Garden over any big hotel chain any day!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Patrick L
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Nice convenient hotel. This may only equal the quality of a 3-star hotel in California but the owner and her family are extremely hospitable and helpful. Hotel is but 2 blocks from the beach and not much further from the historic old town district with its incredible daily farmer's market, restaurants, shops and piazzas. Several of the rooms are larger, so do request a larger room with larger bathroom if needed. If you rent a car, the public parking garage is a block away but with such wonderful weather, it is not an issue. The price of the rooms are not expensive, relative to other hotels in the French Riviera. So, if you are out and about for much of the visit and only need a room to rest, this hotel will suffice. Or you can pay 3 times as much and stay at a chain hotel along the beach. For us, we enjoyed the family's hospitality. Merci Beaucoup.

Room Tip: If required, you can request one of the larger rooms.
1  Thank Great2TravelCA
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This is the first time tripadvisor has let me down. On the surface the hotel is great on a couple very important criteria: it's cheap and it's in a fantastic location. The room also had well-functioning air conditioning and a mini fridge, which were great with the hot temperatures. That's where the positives end.

I knew my room would be small and basic, and that it was. It looked like it had recently been renovated and was in clean, nice condition. Then I took a shower; ugh this was a disgusting experience. The plumbing was so backed up that I was in ankle-deep water in the tiny shower. This is one of my biggest pet peeves -- to me it's one of the dirtiest things imaginable. Then the bed was not very comfortable and the bedding of poor quality. I'm not expecting luxury here given the price point, but this was below even my modest expectations. The worst part of the room though was the utter lack of sound proofing. When someone on the floor above was walking, it sounded like thunder. Sound passed so easily between the adjacent room that I could hear the tv, coughing, and really any sound. I was very lucky to have quiet neighbors, otherwise it would have been a truly miserable experience.

The service at the hotel shows the greatest dichotomy. All the staff are very friendly and try to be helpful (e.g. the plumbing issue in the shower was resolved the next day). What really annoyed me though was their restaurant recommendations. I arrived the first night late and tired, and didn't have time to research. I specifically said I am comfortable eating French food (having lived in western Switzerland and all) and don't want a touristy place. She recommends me two tourist traps, though at that point I'm so hungry I decide against my better judgment and eat at one of them: Safari. I was about to walk out the restaurant after noticing the dirtiness and obviously tourist-centric menu, but the waiter brought the beer I ordered so quickly that I felt bad about leaving. The food was awful; just atrocious, and overpriced at that. The second night, there's a different girl at the hotel. What does she recommend? Safari. She even had the gall to look me straight in the face and say that it's not touristy, and that locals eat there. I've traveled enough through France to know that there's NFW a local would be caught dead eating there, even if it were free. I smiled politely and confirmed in my head that they must be getting kickbacks from the restaurant, because there's no way anyone with taste buds and common sense would ever subject themselves to eating at that tourist hellhole on purpose. How disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank cillierabbit
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Nice Garden Hotel. The location is great. it is really more like a B & B with a friendly atmosphere. The rooms are a good size, the bathroom is a little small but quite adequate. Marian, the owner, greeted us very warmly and was very helpful with hr recommendations. We found every member of Staff were very pleasant, courteous and helpful. The garden courtyard was great for a drink and relax after a day of sightseeing. Also a great stating for breakfast. We would highly recommend a stay at this Hotel.

3  Thank cesholidays
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Hotel was on the ground floor of a large building, offices above.
Location was very good, but I was very disappointed on the rooms. We chose a "superior" room, which was small with a bathroom that was tiny. Room comfort was applicable to a 2 star hotel, very basic. I was surprised that this property had such good reviews on Trip Advisor, as my wife and I thought it was just OK.

Room Tip: We had a superior room that was small, so would suggest keeping away from the standard rooms.
4  Thank marty60
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We had a 5 night stay at the Nice Garden Hotel. Most of the previous reviews represent accurately what this hotel has to offer. When I say hotel most UK nationals would regard it as only a B&B. The main plus points are the charm and helpfulness of the owner Marion, her daughter and staff and it's fantastic location. It is in walking distance of most of the attractions of Nice though still quiet at night and in a safe area. There was a little traffic noise noticeable at times but nothing that disturbed us in any way. We had room 8 which is described as a superior room. The reference "superior" meaning it is larger than some of the other rooms as the furnishing is basic but adequate. It was clean and the bed linen and towels are changed every day. The continental breakfast is again "basic" but worth every penny as you can enjoy it in the lovely "nice" courtyard garden. This was particularly pretty at the time we visited. If you fancy something more then there are plenty of cafes nearby to choose from. The price is reasonable considering some of the outrageous prices elsewhere in Nice.

Room Tip: Room 8 doesn't have a view of the garden but it's the most quiet
4  Thank Clive N