“wonderful hotel”

Ranked #32 of 205 Hotels in Nice
Melbourne, Australia
“wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

this place was great for our stay in nice - it is a cute hotel which is located in a great location, about 10 minutes walk from the station and less than 5 minutes from the beach. we had a standard 'small' room - but we found it quite the opposite! the room was very large, even for non-european standards, with a clean bathroom, working (and quiet) air-conditioning and a table for us to have our meals on. the hosts were always welcoming, asking us how our day was and assisting with anything we needed. The owner even offered us beach towels and umbrellas when she realised we didnt have any! would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luisaconsi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
hong kong
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This hotel is well located, just 5 mins to promenade des Anglais, and 10 mins from the main train station.

We arrived with a warm welcome from the host. The room was clean and big enough. It has a garden view. The hotel has a garden, which you can choose to have breakfast there, it was really a hidden gem. This is the best hotel we stayed in France.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank felixli
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel based on the amazing TripAdvisor reviews and the great value. I was a bit hesitant as it was definitely a "steal" compared with the other hotels we were looking at, but decided to give it a try. While the hotel was no means bad, it really to me does not deserve as high of a TA rating as it has. It is more like a guest-house, just a step above a hostel.

Pros:
- Lovely garden in which breakfast was served (didn't add the breakfast to our stay so can't comment on the quality)
- Friendly staff who were very helpful with questions prior to the trip.

Cons:
- Room was small, poorly lit, and just seemed dreary.
- Impossibly small shower. Have stayed all over Europe in various hotels, B&B's, apartments, and guest-houses but it was literally too small to even reach down to pick up a shampoo bottle from the ground (your back would hit the shower door and knock it open).
- Location: This was our least favorite aspect. In retrospect we would have been much happier in Old Town. It is close to the train station and just a few blocks from the beach but is in a fairly dingy neighborhood. Next door for example instead of a quaint bistro there is a fried chicken restaurant. 20+ minute walk every night to Old Town to go to dinner (all of the recommended restaurants were there, none near us) and long walk to the bus station (we used Nice as our home base and traveled to different areas on the coast every day).

Ultimately I would not recommend this hotel to someone unless their only criteria is value. I think this is when one must be wary of TA stars, only because everyone's criteria for a "great" hotel is a little different.

• Stayed August 2012
12 Thank mollyms619
Hillsborough
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

It's our last day in Paris. Looking back the last couple weeks, we really would like to thank Marian, her daughter Anna and other staff at Nice Garden Hotel, who gave us such warm welcome when we arrived our first stop in France. We loved the location of the hotel. We took buses and trains to Cap Ferrat, Eze Village, Menton, Antibes and Cannes. The Mediterranean coastline scenery was breathtaking. After a full day in the sun, we loved returning to our comfortable hotel room to rest up for next day's journey. The staff was extremely friendly and provided great direction on taking buses and trains. Unfortunately we found out that kind of service was hard to come by in Paris. It's true the bathroom was a little small. But we would choose Nice Garden over any big hotel chain any day!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Patrick L
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Nice convenient hotel. This may only equal the quality of a 3-star hotel in California but the owner and her family are extremely hospitable and helpful. Hotel is but 2 blocks from the beach and not much further from the historic old town district with its incredible daily farmer's market, restaurants, shops and piazzas. Several of the rooms are larger, so do request a larger room with larger bathroom if needed. If you rent a car, the public parking garage is a block away but with such wonderful weather, it is not an issue. The price of the rooms are not expensive, relative to other hotels in the French Riviera. So, if you are out and about for much of the visit and only need a room to rest, this hotel will suffice. Or you can pay 3 times as much and stay at a chain hotel along the beach. For us, we enjoyed the family's hospitality. Merci Beaucoup.

Room Tip: If required, you can request one of the larger rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Great2TravelCA
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This is the first time tripadvisor has let me down. On the surface the hotel is great on a couple very important criteria: it's cheap and it's in a fantastic location. The room also had well-functioning air conditioning and a mini fridge, which were great with the hot temperatures. That's where the positives end.

I knew my room would be small and basic, and that it was. It looked like it had recently been renovated and was in clean, nice condition. Then I took a shower; ugh this was a disgusting experience. The plumbing was so backed up that I was in ankle-deep water in the tiny shower. This is one of my biggest pet peeves -- to me it's one of the dirtiest things imaginable. Then the bed was not very comfortable and the bedding of poor quality. I'm not expecting luxury here given the price point, but this was below even my modest expectations. The worst part of the room though was the utter lack of sound proofing. When someone on the floor above was walking, it sounded like thunder. Sound passed so easily between the adjacent room that I could hear the tv, coughing, and really any sound. I was very lucky to have quiet neighbors, otherwise it would have been a truly miserable experience.

The service at the hotel shows the greatest dichotomy. All the staff are very friendly and try to be helpful (e.g. the plumbing issue in the shower was resolved the next day). What really annoyed me though was their restaurant recommendations. I arrived the first night late and tired, and didn't have time to research. I specifically said I am comfortable eating French food (having lived in western Switzerland and all) and don't want a touristy place. She recommends me two tourist traps, though at that point I'm so hungry I decide against my better judgment and eat at one of them: Safari. I was about to walk out the restaurant after noticing the dirtiness and obviously tourist-centric menu, but the waiter brought the beer I ordered so quickly that I felt bad about leaving. The food was awful; just atrocious, and overpriced at that. The second night, there's a different girl at the hotel. What does she recommend? Safari. She even had the gall to look me straight in the face and say that it's not touristy, and that locals eat there. I've traveled enough through France to know that there's NFW a local would be caught dead eating there, even if it were free. I smiled politely and confirmed in my head that they must be getting kickbacks from the restaurant, because there's no way anyone with taste buds and common sense would ever subject themselves to eating at that tourist hellhole on purpose. How disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank cillierabbit
Brisbane
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Nice Garden Hotel. The location is great. it is really more like a B & B with a friendly atmosphere. The rooms are a good size, the bathroom is a little small but quite adequate. Marian, the owner, greeted us very warmly and was very helpful with hr recommendations. We found every member of Staff were very pleasant, courteous and helpful. The garden courtyard was great for a drink and relax after a day of sightseeing. Also a great stating for breakfast. We would highly recommend a stay at this Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple