“Never Again!!”

Ranked #115 of 205 Hotels in Nice
Perth, Australia
“Never Again!!”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I had a booking at this hotel through a hotel website. I espeicially picked this hotel for its location on the Promenade des Anglais. 3 Star hotel at a reasonable price for the location. It was my last day in France and I arrived in Nice alone to be told by the hotel "Sorry your room is not available due to water damage". "We are full and have no more rooms". They said they recommended another hotel one block behind as they still have rooms available. I told them I had come all the way from Australia, Im alone and wanted this hotel as a treat to myself for my 40th birthday. It was all about the location. I told them I would take the room as it is. They said "Sorry there is nothing we can do we are full". I asked for a Manager. I was told "There is no manager". I went to look at the other hotel a small hotel a block behind. I was VERY DISAPPOINTED. I told Le Royal hotel about my disappointment. And still, they could do nothing. I must have sat there for one hour and saw other customers arriving much later than me from the airport etc.. and they were given rooms! Why not me? I asked them this question and they could not answer. An honest answer would have been nice. I had wasted my whole evening talking and waiting for my room that just was not given to me. I felt like a criminal, or that I had done something wrong. I, the customer, who had a booking, felt very unwelcome and then left as they were not providing me with a room. I was terribly upset, embarassed and disappointed at they way I was treated. This ruined my night in Nice. I phoned the next day to speak to the manager, I was told "The Manager is not available".

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank kittycat2706

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Stayed for one night, but reminded me of an Victorian English seaside hotel. You have to accept it for what it is, faded splendour. The decor is not stunning the bathrooms are a little old but all is clean and our room and bathroom were very large. With a few extras it could be a great hotel and doubtless charge far more. There is no tea/coffee facilities in the room or fridge. That said the location is absolutely fabulous right on the Promenade des Anglais with everything very close by. Don't go if you want a sumptuous modern boutique hotel, do go if you want be at the centre of everything and enjoy sitting on the front watching the world go by.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Hotel has a nice period feel to the reception area and nice terrace area.
The room was not great, no luxuries, but adequate. City view was non existent, better to pay for seaview.
There was no Internet for the five days we were there, which was disappointing as that was one of our criteria for booking.

• Stayed August 2011
Toronto
Reviewed 9 August 2011

location was central and walking distance to everything.
bus stop to and from airport nearby.
clean, comfortable, and more than adequate for the price...

definately would come again

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We stayed for 5 nights at Le Royal July 2010, me my husband and two children. We had two very big rooms with very good black out blinds on the windows which meant the sun did not wake us in the morning. The rooms were simple but clean and bathrooms were fine. We particularly enjoyed the terrace where you could eat dinner or breakfast watching the world go by on the Promenade des Anglais. The buffet breakfast included a simple choice but all you wanted was there including lots of good coffee. The staff in the breakfast area were very helpful and polite. At the reception desk there were two good and helpful staff, but I can't remember their names, a male (outstanding memory of his assistance in one matter of having our rooms cleaned later in the day at our request) and one quite unhelpful lady at the desk who didn't try to accommodate us at all. Still, I thought the hotel really worth recommending because of the above and its superb location, walking distance to the old town and all the shops close by. I just wish I could remember the name of the very helpful man on reception because he really made a difference. One negative, there was a computer in the lobby for guest use but we couldn't log on to the internet, it was usually down. Pauline from Egypt

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
singapore
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I knew that this, like many other hotels in Europe are old and full of history; but it's such a pity when the extra care needed to maintain old things so that they retain some charm is evidently not there.
It's clean but basic.
I was very disappointed by the level of service. I had to return to the reception 3 times just to get an acceptable room. First time, it had a double bed instead of 2 twin beds per my request. 2nd time, I got a room with twin beds but the toilet flush didn't work well and the room just looked way too depressing. 3rd time I finally got a much bigger room and a brighter toilet with everything working properly.
The worst part was - my passport and credit card was left with reception overnight. Nobody notified me even at the point of check out the next day. I realized I didn't have my passport 2 hours after leaving the hotel. An immediate call to them confirmed that they indeed had my passport. I wonder about their efforts to contact me, which should have been easy enough since I made my booking through hotel.com. I was just very relieved to get my documents back.
Le Royal?? Definitely below even plebeian expectations, unfortunately.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Jesstravelling

Travellers are raving about these Nice hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Location is good and this is the only good thing about it!

I stayed there just 2 nights and despite leaving the note "please do not disturb" I realised that someone was in my room while I was at the beach. I complained to the reception and the rude lady called Marion disconnected my call. She was complatly unprofessional! Not able to deal with basic problems!

I complained to the assistant manager. The manager told me that "please do not disturb" is often ignored here as they assume their clients want their rooms to be cleaned despite the note !!! I explained the lady that " PLEASE DO NOT DISTURB" has only one meaning! I said that all hotels in the world do understand the meaning of that. She ignored my complain. She was not concerned about my privacy issues at all. She also advised me to inform the reception is I do not wish my room to be cleaned as the note "please do not disturb" will be ignored. Her English was very poor. Considering number of English speaking tourists it is a big shame that management does not pay attention to that communication problem!

Its completly unacceptable! They don't respect your privacy! I have never seen anything like that before.

If you like when people enter your room while you are away and do not wish anyone moving your personal belongings Le Royal is perfect for you..... the name does not match the poor service.

There were lots of pigeons at the breakfast place. It was so dirty. Tables were not clean as well.
Food was very good but you can not serve it in such dirty conditions.

Its the worst experience ever!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends