“Departed greatness”
Review of Hotel Le Royal

Hotel Le Royal
Ranked #120 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Beautiful location, with sea view and at the promenade des Anglais. However, the hotel looks very dated and is not very clean. Bar and breakfast area looked very much like a canteen. I also found the staff not very helpful and friendly, especially when ordering a drink at the terrace - the menu was thrown on the table without any greeting and it took ages before my order arrived. Reason for me to check-out after one night and move to another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Royal

Reviewed 13 October 2011

This place has some very helpful,courteous staff. It has a fantastic location on the Prom des Anglais. But it is in real need of some tlc. The rooms are tired and dated looking, and for the price, frankly not worth it.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank craig_hu
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We finished a long bike ride and the company we travelled with booked us in. It was good and considering it's location the bar was reasonably priced. The only issue was that we had booked a couple of extra nights and had to change rooms. This took most of the day to sort out however we didn't get told this so spent most of the day in swimming gear as there was no changing faculties. Not a massive problem but could have easily been resolved.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Wow, for a hotel on the Promenade, it sure is a dung-heap. My room smelled of rotten cabbage and sewage, which is impressive considering I had a sea-view room with the ocean breeze coming in. No internet in rooms at all. Interiors badly need renovation. Not worth any price really. There are much better hotels nearby. 4/10

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank bensagle
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Great location for a hotel but that is about all it has going for it. The hotel is old and in bad need of renovating. Although our room was clean, the halls and room smelt of stale cigarette smoke and the walls were slightly discoloured, a yellowish tone. There are no tea or coffee facilities in the room. When we checked in to our room at 3pm the pillows were left stacked at the end of the bed without pillow cases. We had to ask reception twice for pillow cases and eventually after 9.30pm someone came to remove our pillows and give us 1 flat pillow and case each!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I had a booking at this hotel through a hotel website. I espeicially picked this hotel for its location on the Promenade des Anglais. 3 Star hotel at a reasonable price for the location. It was my last day in France and I arrived in Nice alone to be told by the hotel "Sorry your room is not available due to water damage". "We are full and have no more rooms". They said they recommended another hotel one block behind as they still have rooms available. I told them I had come all the way from Australia, Im alone and wanted this hotel as a treat to myself for my 40th birthday. It was all about the location. I told them I would take the room as it is. They said "Sorry there is nothing we can do we are full". I asked for a Manager. I was told "There is no manager". I went to look at the other hotel a small hotel a block behind. I was VERY DISAPPOINTED. I told Le Royal hotel about my disappointment. And still, they could do nothing. I must have sat there for one hour and saw other customers arriving much later than me from the airport etc.. and they were given rooms! Why not me? I asked them this question and they could not answer. An honest answer would have been nice. I had wasted my whole evening talking and waiting for my room that just was not given to me. I felt like a criminal, or that I had done something wrong. I, the customer, who had a booking, felt very unwelcome and then left as they were not providing me with a room. I was terribly upset, embarassed and disappointed at they way I was treated. This ruined my night in Nice. I phoned the next day to speak to the manager, I was told "The Manager is not available".

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
7  Thank kittycat2706
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Stayed for one night, but reminded me of an Victorian English seaside hotel. You have to accept it for what it is, faded splendour. The decor is not stunning the bathrooms are a little old but all is clean and our room and bathroom were very large. With a few extras it could be a great hotel and doubtless charge far more. There is no tea/coffee facilities in the room or fridge. That said the location is absolutely fabulous right on the Promenade des Anglais with everything very close by. Don't go if you want a sumptuous modern boutique hotel, do go if you want be at the centre of everything and enjoy sitting on the front watching the world go by.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple