Hotel Le Royal
US$425
US$313
Great 4.5/5
  • Pool
All reviewsamazing locationsea view roomthe buspromenade des anglaisbusy roadspacious roomold townreception deskmonacoexecutive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Good location, rooms extreemly clean, a little dated but clean never the less. Very helpful reception staff. Bathroom needed a little work re shower but ok. Good value for money considering the location

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
2  Thank Martin W
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I'm flying into Nice then traveling to Cannes by train for a few days. During planning I accidentally booked Le Royal Hotel in Nice. That's my mistake and my responsibility. I booked the non-refundable rate. That's also my responsibility. When I realized my mistake I contacted Le Royal Hotel to tell them that I booked the wrong city by mistake and asked if they would make an exception and refund at least 3 of the 4 nights that I paid for, they refused (and not in a friendly, "I'm sorry" kind of way). I then asked if they also owned a hotel in Cannes. They do in fact. So I asked if they would be so kind as to transfer my reservation from their hotel in Nice to their hotel in Cannes. I even offered to pay a higher rate if the hotel was more expensive. "No", I was told. I made a reservation for this hotel. If that was a mistake then that is my problem. It's not up to them to correct my mistake and transfer reservations from one of their hotels to another. If I want to stay at their hotel in Cannes, then I can make a reservation there and pay all over again. Needless to say i did not make a reservation at their hotel in cannes nor would I. Bottom line is, yes, the reservation was my mistake and I should have booked the refundable rate.......but the customer service that i received from Le Royal Hotel was rude at best. I also feel like they stole my money. I honestly believe they should have made even some effort to transfer the reservation. Live and Learn

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank paulsf37
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The only good thing about Le Royal is the location which is right on the Promenade. That's about it though. Truly an outdated and awful place to stay. The rooms albeit are "small" as most are in Europe. These were very small and down right crappy. And the overuse "scent" as an attempt to over come the musty smell, so if you like being assaulted by that "car refresher" strip that we have in the U.S. Then go for it. Even with the window open 24-7 we could not get rid of that terrible and abusive smell. It clung to us, so you'd get a whiff of it throughout the day when not even at the hotel. You're better off sleeping in a park then this place. I truly do NOT recommend it. Nice is too nice for a place like this. We rented an apartment on our next visit with the same view. It was much less expensive and truly fantastic. I recommend that route.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter C
Reviewed 7 July 2014

After reading reviews decided to upgrade to superior room with balcony and it was sooo worth it. Had breakfast in room (choice of healthy or hearty breakfast) - no extra charge for breakfast in room and we enjoyed the treat - with the fabulous view. (Found prices for breakfast in cafes just as expensive and not nearly as good.)There is a sculpture outside the hotel of an art deco lady in a swimsuit - which may people stop to take photos of - including us.

We had no complaints about the room or the hotel - drinks were reasonably priced in cafe and service was good. Front reception very helpful and efficient - looked after our left luggage - we enjoyed our stay at the hotel.

We would recommend the superior rooms with balcony - the balconies are small - cannot say anything about other rooms as we did not see them. We do not expect to return to Nice as we feel we have seen it all and the world is such a big place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank drew4912
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We booked 2 balcony rooms. Location superb and views to die for with nice size balcony. Our bathroom had a toilet you had to use side saddle as it was built into alcove with heated towel rail. Our air conditioner did not work but next room where our children slept was OK. We sit the curtain on second night and the whole track fell to the floor - only screwed into plaster with plaster screws. Went to reception and someone came up and said they couldn't fix it and have a good night! Very hard to sleep with light coming in and no air conditioner on hot night. Breakfast over priced too but then all of Nice is expensive. Front bar and coffee restaurant nice and bar man lovely.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family