“Amazing, our daily stop in Nice”
Review of Gelateria Azzurro

Gelateria Azzurro
Ranked #1 of 45 Dessert in Nice
Price range: US$2 - US$12
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Old Town / Vieux Nice
Description: Gelateria Azzurro, family company has human size, proposes you its ice creams and its home-made cornes, at the heart of Old Nice. The Veyrat family is in the universe of the ice cream since 1983. Arrive has Nice in 1996, us invent and develop our on-the-spot ice cream by using the best products to satisfy the gourmands of the whole world. Our speciality: THE ICE CREAM!! That's why at our with us you will find only that, no waffles, or crepes, or granitas, or churros etc...
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We did not find it at first as we end petered the old town from an unusual direction. In short it's right next to the Nice Cathedral, please note that both trip advisor and google map give a slightly wrong indication...
The shop is located at Rue Sainte Reparaitre, from course salaya, just before you hit the Church and the Rossetti place, which is dominated by the Cathedral. In any case the cathedral is your best indication. Just be aware that there are at least two other, more prominently located ice cream shops, one of which is Fennochio Maitre Glacier which has even longer queues than Azzurro.

Azzurro is smaller and in my view even better than Fennochio. Many of the locals disagree and state the opposite. Look both make wonderful ice cream, taste both of them... Azzurro to me was the friendlier shop, where you may politely ask to try some of the more exotic flavors before your order, Fennochio refused when I asked for a traveler who's French was really poor...

The range and quality is amazing. I hope the team keeps up the great work.

1  Thank TravelPal S
There are newer reviews for Gelateria Azzurro

Reviewed 29 July 2014

A fantastic selection of homemade ice cream. The best we found in Nice. Situated in the old town. Definately worth a visit. Can try the flavours before you buy.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Absolutely the best ice cream in Nice! Don't miss the crème brûlée and the tiramisu ice cream, too good to be true.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I am having a hard time understanding why this place is a top-rated restaurant on TripAdvisor! First of all, they serve ice cream, and it's completely indistinguishable from the, perhaps, hundreds of other ice cream stands in Nice and the surrounding area. The ice cream is ok; I'd rate it a 5/10, comparing it to other ice creams I've had in France for the two weeks I've been here. The cone was stale...I almost chipped a tooth biting into it. The service is where this review goes into the deplorable range. I understand the customs and some of the language. It's important to greet the person who's helping you in the service industry--I did that. I explained that I do not speak French well, laughed shyly and ordered, in French (the laugh, multilingual). The tall blonde guy helping me tried to charge me 8 euros for two small scoops. When I looked for the prices and raised my eyebrows at him, he apologized, announcing that he was giving the price to guy next to me. This was clearly not the case, as the gentleman handed five euros to the lady helping him. I may not speak fluent French, and I'm an English teacher, not a math teacher, but I know when I'm being swindled. I paid my three euros eighty and walked away thinking, "this isn't anything like Italy, and that guy in no way represents the amazing people I've experienced the French on the whole to be." Spend your money elsewhere, is my advice. But if you go, count your change. and beware of the blonde meanie.

1  Thank abaldasaro
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We thought we had a favourite gelato place in old Nice, but we popped in here and our hearts were won over! Such polite, kind, and friendly service! Generous scoops! And interesting flavours.

We shared copacobana and candy crush. SO GOOD! Copacobana was a game changer in gelato for us.