“Beautiful situation but early lock up!”
Review of Les Deux Freres

Les Deux Freres
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Beautiful situation but early lock up!”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We were very lucky being invited here to join a wonderful birthday lunch with good friends, the lunch cost being left to their generosity. We took advantage of the situation and made it into a mini break booking three nights in the hotel.
The location is absolutely fantastic. The hotel is in a medieval town on a hill with beautiful views over the coast and towards Monaco. Steps lead down to the sea front and shingle beach for the energetic!
The lunch itself was lovely and the service excellent. I have since read the other reviews as regards the overcharging but as we were guests I can not comment. I do agree at 9 euro pp the breakfast was steep though the coffee was excellent with a bottomless cup and the croissants and bread very fresh.
Our room (Nos 7) was small and tired. It certainly did not need the 'seaside theme' with blue and white stripes , shells on the wall, hanging lighthouses and oars as curtain rails...good grief! Our friends asked to change room as theirs was so small and another couple had a disturbed night due to a generator outside their room.
Oddly after breakfast the hotel seemed to shut rather quickly. We had a key so we could come and go but the place was left unmanned other than a cook/cleaner. What one does for a lunch time drink if it is not busy goodness knows. It seemed Willem would disappear off on his errands and leave the place and bar locked. The hotel is very relaxed. A guest after us arrived one evening and found his room key hanging outside on the locked front door. He never actually met Willem until the following day. Willem seems very keen to shut up shop as soon as he can after breakfast. Having said that we found Willem very pleasant. Apart from breakfast we did not eat or drink at the hotel (other than the birthday lunch). I found the previous review re sharp practice extremely disturbing but our limited use of the dining facilities means I can not comment.
Overall we would return, the situation is just too lovely to ignore, but what one does by way of using the bar, dining facilities during the day when the hotel is quiet goodness knows. (well I do know actually....just find somewhere else!)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I got married in Roquebrune village a few years ago. It has taken me this long to write this review as wedding guests are not given to complaining to their hosts. However, it has become apparent to us that Willem and his staff, quite simply, stole from us.

I booked and paid for a my wedding of around 90 guests. We took every room in the hotel for our close family and paid for that. Willem was under strict and specific instructions that I was to pay for everything and my guests were not to be charged for anything. It seems that the temptation to charge twice was too great for him to resist.

Unbeknownst to us at the time, or for quite some time afterwards, they were charging our guests for their drinks. Willem and his team deliberately kept this shady practice from us as whenever my wife or I were with our guests at the bar no requests for payment were made. We have been told by almost all our guests that he charged them when they were at the bar without us.

I cannot explain how angry this sharp practice has made me. I wanted our friends and family to enjoy a fantastic day at our expense. Instead they were asked to pay AND I was then presented with a the bill a second time!!

The waiters were also removing almost full bottles of wine from the tables to further increase consumption. He even had the cheek to charge people for a special bottle of brandy that I had place behind the bar for a special late evening toast with close friends !!

Basically it has left a very bitter taste in my mouth and I have no hesitation to say that Willem is a crook. I would not go anywhere near the place and nor should you.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
14 Thank SeanDawson1969
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Les Deux Freres is an extremely affordable hotel with stunning views and service. The restaurant is also excellent and highly recommended. Thank you to Willem and his team for making our stay so fantastic.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have the best views, with windows opening out to the coast.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Welwyn Garden City
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Stayed at Les Deux Freres hotel in June after reading the reviews on T/A. We booked a long way in advance in order to get room 2 (fleur de lys) & we were both amazed at the views. The room isn’t luxury but is clean & comfortable and wonderfully light & airy due to the two windows & for €110 a night that close to Monaco is great. Willem & staff were very hospitable. There is a fair amount of parking in one of two small (free) car parks or on the street, close to the hotel and some more a little distance away, but I suspect parking might be an issue in high season. Vehicle access to the hotel is restricted so if you’re not up to either carrying your luggage up steps or wheeling it a fair distance along the road this hotel isn’t for you. (If you do have walking/breathing issues I’d suggest you do a lot of investigation before booking any hotel in this area as it is very hilly)

There are only a few places to eat within walking distance, the hotel restaurant wasn’t open every night when we were there & one of the others didn’t seem to be open at all during the 3 nights we were there (out of season or closed permanently?) We only had breakfast at the hotel which must be one of the best places on the Med to eat, on the terrace overlooking the sea and Monaco in the distance. Walking to the beach might be a possibility if you can find your way down via ally ways but walking on the roads would be suicide and unless you are VERY very fit walking back from the beach isn’t an option either. Walking to Monaco isn’t a possibility either despite only being about 3Km on paper. However there is a really good walk that runs from the Cap along the coast ending up at the beach below the hotel & the railway station. It may go on further on but can’t say.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Wonderful service from all of Willem's staff. Great hospitality from Willem, but one must understand his unique sense of humour! He is so helpful with all your needs too. Couldn't have asked for more during my visit for my neice's wedding. Great food.
Alistair Sawday has cracked it again - a charming hotel, if a little tired in the rooms.
Magnificent location and the ancient village is a hidden gem. Everyone was so friendly.
Visiting Willem's charming wife who runs the delightful cafe Fraises et chcolat opposite is an absolute must - quiches to die for!

Room Tip: Those overlooking the sea
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank suej2011
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We spent three nights at Les Deux Freres as the finale to our honeymoon after spending a couple of weeks in London and Paris. It was a marvellous end to our trip and we both agreed it was our favourite destination.

We found the service from Willem and his staff absolutely wonderful, friendly and eager to help make our stay the best possible experience - which it was. The food at the restaurant was sublime and although it is more expensive than going to some other restaurants, you are getting what you pay for and completely worth it.

The views from the hotel are just phenomenal. We stayed in the room without the ocean view but still found it wonderful. The rooms seems refurbished when we stayed so I'm not sure what others are referring to. We actually thought the hotel accommodation was an absolute steal and terrific value for money.

We're already planning our next trip to Roquebrune-Cap-Martin (from Australia) and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Get in early to get the rooms with a view!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
muschio
Reviewed 27 May 2011

leider, die position ist wunderbar, die aussicht herrlich, der besitzer leider weniger, mit grossem porsche wird zelebriert, was im hotel fehlt. zimmer sind runtergekommen, badewanne wie im 2* hotel, alles ist alt, lampen fehlen, materatzen und bettwäsche einfach wie in der jugenherrberge. kein besuch wert, nur in notfall.
besitzer arrogant unfreudlich, im restaurant auch falsche sachen behauptet. leider auch freunde von uns die ich hingeschickt habe waren sehr enttäuscht..

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roquebrune-Cap-Martin
Le Roquebrune
#5 of 10 in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin
Monte-Carlo Beach
Monte-Carlo Beach
#2 of 10 in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin

Been to Les Deux Freres? Share your experiences!