“A little bit of heaven in the South of France”

Grand-Hotel du Cap-Ferrat
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We arrived at Cap-Ferrat after a week in Italy. While I love Italy, there was just something so exclusive and refined about this hotel. The first thing we did was go straight to the pool and oh what a treat it was! The restaurant was extremely pricey but the view was worth it!

We had an overall spectacular time here. In the hotel there are 2 restaurants. We ate at the more casusal of the 2 but it was still out of this world! We got the appetizer tower and I am dreaming about it to this day.

We also got a romantic massage outside in the garden which I recommend.

Everything about this hotel was awesome! Cant wait to go back one day!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Laurad42na

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Met my partner here for a few days relaxation after a long trip. We took one of the larger pine tree and sea view rooms with a terrace in the new building (above the exorbitant private suites with pools for film stars). The room was a good size, with a small separate seating area and large covered private terrace looking out at the Med across the gardens (and outdoor spa area). The room was exceptionally clean and very comfortable, particularly the bed in which we both had excellent nights' sleep, particularly with the electronic blinds down which delivered complete peace and darkness - absolute bliss. The bathroom was very well appointed with a couple of curiosities of design - particularly the narrowness of the corridor down the middle which meant that loo and shower doors could not open properly, and the glass above the bath which lets in lots of light and which we originally thought was privacy glass but turned out not to be entirely opaque! Note to self - lower the blinds...

We enjoyed the less formal restaurant and room service each of which had excellent quality food (if a somewhat limited range on the menu) but steered clear of the Michelin starred establishment within the hotel. Although it looked impressive it was too monastic for our taste, with a very hushed atmosphere and few patrons - and no one looking as if they were enjoying themselves that much! We had some stellar performances of service particularly when we had to move rooms due to technical difficulties with our TV, when we were shown various alternatives (including an upgrade to a suite in the main building, although we selected an equivalent to our existing room as we preferred the view/space), our things were moved into identical locations without our input by housekeeping and we were sent champagne as an apology. The room service staff were also superb and spoke astonishingly good English (despite our attempts at French) complete with idioms! It was bliss to have breakfast every morning on our terrace overlooking the sea - and the quality of food delivered is some of the best we have encountered from room service.

The most spectacular aspect of this hotel (apart from its beautiful interiors) is its location, and in particular the location of its pool which is basically on the tip of the Cap - with nothing between you and the Med other than the walking path around the rocky promontory - quite simply nothing like it anywhere else. We were amongst the few brave enough to swim in the sea in early May - freezing cold but very exhilarating - particularly given the rock bathing pool and access through the crashing waves.

So the few question marks were only over the bathroom design, some of the pricing for quite mundane items (2 servings of french fries and 2 diet cokes from room service while watching a movie came to 75 euro), and from a couple of members of staff who delivered poor service. Most notable of those was one of the supervising staff at the pool. When we arrived for a late afternoon swim after a walk they had started clearing up 45 minutes before "closing time" and a request for two soft drinks with 40 minutes to spare was met with the resistance and frosty disdain we hoped had long been banished from establishments of this quality (and price) level.

Luckily those slight negative notes did not in any way infringe upon our general enjoyment of this fabulous hotel - which we can thoroughly recommend in the quieter "just off" season as the weather started to warm up - we imagine it would get a little hectic in high season though.

Room Tip: This will depend on your taste, the new "sea and pine" view rooms are larger and we prefer...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AlexHT
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Interesting Hotel really. The location is absolutely amazing, especially when you take the size of the property, location on Cap Ferrat and the overall feel of the area. The hotel is from 1920 and it seems that it has gone thru a overhaul a few years ago. The layout comprises of the Historic building (the one you see on their website), a modern building (which is behind the Classic building) and the pool area - which is approx 300 meters (down a cliff) from the Historic building. I had booked a 3 day stay for absolute relaxation and quite. And I must say that the hotel delivered.

To be absolutely honest I was a bit apprehensive about booking a stay in southern France. In general the service, quality/price ratio, design and upkeep in this area is below par for most of Europe. The only real contenders in the area is the Hotel de Paris in Monaco (which we did not want to visit), the Terre Blanche Resort (which is no longer managed by Four Seasons, and way inland) and the Eden Roc which is ancient and stuffy.

The hotel facilities in general are very well maintained. The buildings, hallways, ancient elevator, restaurants, pool area and surrounding grounds are all very nice. The pool area is obviously not entirely redone at last modernization, which shows, but the impressive full frontal sea view and huge 33m pool, makes up for that. Security seemed very well organized and you felt very safe.

Check-in staff and concierge all seemed very professional. Everyone was excellent at english. I was a bit annoyed by no upgrades (didn't ask - its their choice - i'm not into begging) considering that the hotel was more than half empty - I was sort of expecting that, as I have no previous visits there, we had no "juice".

The room we were assigned was, honestly a bit disappointing. It was quite small (the sea-view category is between 31-38m2) - this was 30-32m2 maximum. (208) The layout was a bit weird, with a quite large hallway, tiny room, large closet area and tiny tiny bathroom. Bathroom could not have been more than 4m2. No bidet. A bathtub and no shower. Bathtub wasn't even full size. The fittings and amenities were of quite high quality. (Similar to a european four seasons). Bathtub was very worn - probably due to incorrect cleaning.
For some weird reason the wooden floors were a thin plastic feeling parquet, complete with squeaky sounds and gouges in the surface - very cheesy. Technology wise the Loewe TV was OK, a ton of TV channels, almost none in english. (not surprising). WiFi was of decent quality (about 8-10mbit) and complimentary, but WiFi coverage was poor. In Our room you had to stand by the hallway in order to get a sustainable signal. Outdoors it was hit or miss. I would like to note that Cell Phone reception on the property is very poor - all networks - also by the pool side.

The room service product was of quite high quality - and pricing of minibar/room service/restaurants was OK. (30-40e for a Burger/Pasta/Fish style dish) All their menus are available on their website - which is commendable.

We spent most of the time in the Club Dauphin (Pool Club) which was above expectations. The restaurant was quite good, however pool service was poor on the 3 days we were there. I literally had to hunt waiters in order to get pool side service. One gentleman on the third day, did a really good job, but most of the time the staff (there was a lot of employees - up to 10!) was huddled by the cash registers. In general the staff at the CD restaurant seemed to have been trained differently from the other eating venues on site. A lot of pool side services and amenities you get on Four Seasons or Park Hyatt properties was not extended here. There is a tiny toddler pool as well, which looked OK. Up to age 2, i'd say. The "Shop" by the restrooms looked really worn down, and did not match the rest of the resort, in my opinion. Drinks were good.

Altogether, the hotel really does what it says on the box. I know a few reviewers have commented on the value aspect of the property. In my opinion the price/performance was "ok" for southern france.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MorganJ
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Excellent hotel. Excellent service. Beautiful grounds and rooms. Pool was great. Staff excellent. Rooms spacious and bright! Loved everything about this hotel. Sad to have had to leave. Will def be back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jss25
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here for just one night after Cannes Film Festival. This beautiful hotel is an oasis of peace and quiet in the middle of Cote d'Azur. It is an ideal place to unwind because you feel you're at the edge of the world because GHCF is all by itself at the end of the peninsula. I loved the walking path around the peninsula. It is perfect for a morning run. I decided to forego my morning run, though, an instead my boyfriend and I walked into town for breakfast. It is an easy 20 minute walk, and we found a good place for coffee and eggs by the marina in town. After having dinner the night before at the formal restaurant at GHCF, we were happy to pay only $20Euro for breakfast! As other reviewers have noted, this is a great hotel but nothing is cheap. We had 2 coffees in the lobby and they were $10 EACH. That is steep by anyone's standards. The area is similar to Bel Air, as one reviewer noted, and you pay for the exclusivity of the area plus the top-notch facilities. I consulted the concierge on a few occasions and he was always very helpful. I did not get the chilly service that another reviewer experienced. My experience with the entire staff was quite the opposite; they were very accomodating. My only regret is I did not get to swim in the outdoor pool because the weather wasn't good. I definitely want to return another time and take advantage of the pool and terrace.

Room Tip: Take your running/walking shoes and explore the sea walk that is accessed from the hotel pool area...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TexasTwin
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Our daughter gave myself and my wife a weekend break here. Absolutely everything was faultless. Pleasant and attentive staff. Food as one would expect was of the very highest quality. We absolutely loved our stay

Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I celebrated my 50th wedding anniversary at Le Negresco Hotel Nice and church ceremony at St. Pierre D' Arene with my families of 25. The next day we went to Monte Carlo for brunch and the next day my immediate family of 7 went to Club Dauphin GHDCF on sunday for rest and relaxation and use the heated pool w/ cabana. The brunch is impeccable and the services are superb. I always visit Club Dauphin every time I am in South of France.I love the chic casual of the place and make you feel you belong. All staff are very professional and are there to make your stay memorable.It cost a lot money but it is worth it.

Room Tip: Be sure to reserve if you are not staying in the hotel so that the staff are ready for your table. T...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jojonyc464
Also consider these accommodations in or near St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Hotel Royal-Riviera
Hotel Royal-Riviera
#1 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & Spa
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & S...
#1 of 14 in Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee
Cap Estel Hotel
Cap Estel Hotel
#4 of 6 in Eze

Been to Grand-Hotel du Cap-Ferrat? Share your experiences!