“Wonderful stay.......but......”

La Voile d'Or
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful stay.......but......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed 3 nights at La Voile d'Or and had a wonderful time.

The location of the hotel is second to none and we had a De Luxe room with balcony overlooking the beautiful port of St Jean and across to the mountainous scenery all along the coast.

The room was spacious but not equipped in line with the prices charged. A shower comprising plastic curtain in the middle of the bath was not what we expected. Maybe it is part of it's traditional charm! Not so charming were the water noises from surrounding rooms. We listened to every minute of a neighbour having a bath at 6am one morning!

Service was excellent throughout with a warm welcome from the outset at reception.

We had lunch twice at the poolside restaurant which was good but pricey - but what a wonderful place to sit and have lunch! As was the breakfast terrace where we enjoyed a good buffet breakfast each day.

Parking is an issue in Cap Ferrat but we opted not to pay the €25 per day for the hotel garage but opted instead to use the valet parking which worked perfectly and with very obliging and courteous service.

Room Tip: The location is a major part of the appeal of this hotel and a view of the port of St Jean is a must...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank My4Jays

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Finnish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

Such a difficult place to review. Sublime location, beautiful views from almost everywhere. A relaxing place, seats and terraces all over the place. Lovely decor, the place does not feel like a chain. Great friendly genuine service from almost every staff member (there's a bar server to get rid of) BUT. The room was €440 per night in June, downstairs in the basement (no balcony). The toilet in our room made a big 'clunk' sound and moved a bit when you sat on it; the door to the toilet room stuck on the floor mid way open needing a tug. Very old blankets on the bed. The bedrooms are basically a good size but very basic. Did I mention €440 a night...?! Lastly, I asked for a 1 hour later check out from 12 until 1 which was when we were leaving, on a Monday in mid June. The hotel had been no more than half full all weekend, but the 1 hour just wasn't possible - that left a bad taste I'm afraid.

• Stayed June 2013
7 Thank richyb1974
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

Loved every minute of our give day stay. Service was exceptional in all areas of the hotel. You could feel the warmth on check in which was so different to the initial experience that we had at the Byron in Fortei Dei Marmi. The location is outstanding and the views sensational. I can't wait to go back and would have no hesitation recommending to a friend. There are only two negatives with this hotel. There is no wifi in the bedrooms which for a hotel of this calibre is a must today and secondly, the gym was dreadful. Personally my recommendation would be buy new equipment or closest down. As my Dad taught me " if you're going to do something, do it properly or not at all".

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

We absolutely loved this hotel from the moment we arrived. The location on the Port is optimal, the staff from the concierge to the management and the restaurant are so friendly. Having a drink or a meal on the terrace and looking out over the bay is paradise. We had the junior suite giving straight over the port, lots of space, very nicely furnished, a massive bathroom, extremely pleasant. Breakfast had everything you may wish and the dinner was excellent but a bit on the expensive side. The pool area is a dream, just relax and watch the view across the bay and the port. There are beautiful walks to be done from the hotel around the Cap, breathtaking!

Room Tip: There is only one junior suite, so if you want space make sure to reserve it well in advance.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dominique D
Tunbridge Wells
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

You can see how wonderful this hotel was in years gone by by. Fantastic views from a lovely terrace and rooms perching over the Port are compromised by age, wear, tear and limited repair. Like an ageing actress you can see the still see the class, style and lines of something that was fantastic but still has a lot to offer. Having said this we loved it, but we didn't really spend much time in the hotel as we walked all over Cap Ferrat and visited Nice, Villefranche and Monaco.

On more mundane issues - the beach at the hotel is more a rock shelf with a ladder down into deep sea; there is a small sea water pool alongside. The other pool is also sea water although it is heated. There are some better public sand beaches a short walk up the hill and around the corner but they can get crowded. If one walks all the way to the end of the point there is a fabulous little church with a 30 ft high madonna.

The cheaper rooms do not have the view over the port or a balcony but do catch the morning sun. They are quite spacious by French standards but are not really the standard one would expect for the money.

The Taxi from Nice Airport is about 55 euros, the return is about 70. The 81 bus from the town centre goes past the Villa Eprussi gardens which are worth a visit and takes you directly to the old town of Villefranche. We also took the TAM 100 from Octroi bus stop in Villefranche to Monaco (the 81 stops the other side of the road). Bus is one euro.

The staff are French so do not expect an over the top welcome. They are efficient and helpful but they are quite stiff.

Room Tip: The morning sun hits the cheaper rooms but the dearer rooms with the balconies are really nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank markothemagnificent
Calgary AB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

I'll admit I was a little nervous booking this hotel as my hideaway for a few days after coming out of Morocco, as the reviews seemed to indicate it's a hit or a miss. I'm not exactly sure what others expect, but I absolutely loved this hotel, and cannot wait until next time.

Staff
From a welcome that started with a smiling staff member opening the taxi door, to being greeted from both sides of the reception foyer, it was indeed a great start. The young stagiaire who checked me in was both very helpful and extremely thorough, and was able to answer all of my questions. Prior to all of this, I had been in touch with the hotel regarding transfers from the airport - in both instances the responses were quick, brief, but accurate. Take note: the fee that is offered for a pickup from the airport is spot on. I was unsure if my flight was going to be on time from Casablanca, so I opted not to book through Samuel, the concierge (warning, he's ridiculously handsome and I was speechless), however the taxi fare ended up being within five Euros of what was quoted. While taxis were easy to pickup at the airport, they take cash only, so prepayment is actually more convenient, whereas I had to do a quick exchange at the American Express kiosk in order to have sufficient funds.

The head housekeeper always greeted me with a big smile when we passed in the hallways, the staff at the beach restaurant were courteous and prompt, and the room attendants thorough. Initially I did find the barman a little cold at first, and had to make it known I was after a drink every time I appeared, but once engaged he was very professional. When he brought more ice for my drink, it was clear that he was aware and thoughtful. The bar area is suited for lounging, so admittedly it is not always obvious who is there to hang around for the Wi-Fi, and/or is looking for a drink.

Only took one meal there at the beach restaurant when I arrived. It's a little clichéd, but I had the Salad Niçoise and a half bottle of rosé, and both were restorative and delicious after getting up at 4:00 am. If the gin and tonics I had in the evenings count as food (which I do!), why do they taste so much better watching the sun set on SJCF? Breakfast had a great selection of pastries, jams and cheeses, and freshly squeezed orange juice.

Room
Even though solo, I booked a superior deluxe, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was in the lower building, and initially concerned about noise, however this turned out to be a non-issue, as the road in front is for the harbour residents only and not a busy thoroughfare. And the windows on their own (without the metal blinds down at night) did a great job of keeping any other noise out. Plenty of closet space, no charge for the safe, always clean, and I actually appreciate the WC in another room - though I did lose count of how many times I went towards the bidet with intentions. I did have fun with the hot water in the shower, as it was a bit of a game, one I didn't mind playing actually. Does the red arrow mean turn in that direction for hot water, which meant the indicator was in the blue area, or that the red area was the hot water 'zone'? Très amusant, with lots of pressure and big fluffy towels to finish. My only comment was that the make up of the room seemed to always be quite late in the day, around 3:00 or 4:00, and twice had to get what I needed and disappear for a bit. Not a huge deal for me, and the staff did ask if I needed the room immediately, but not entirely sure why so late. Also note that the Wi-Fi is only available in the public areas, and you'll need a network cable for your room.

Location
Unbeatable! Walking distance of everything, including some great restaurants, shops, wine shop, a Spar store, the public beach, etc. I didn't have/want a car, so I explored on foot, and you'd have to work hard to really get lost. I also used the SJCF tourist office, inquiring about a cooking exposition that was on that weekend, and the young woman was very helpful and friendly.

Prices
Yes, overall for the area they can be eye-popping, but take a look at where you are. I'm sure a budget experience can be had in this area that is just as magical as a lavish one, and for sure I have experienced both in my travels, but my advice would be to go prepared. To be honest, when I compare what an excellent, enjoyable meal out in Calgary would cost to what I spent at Le Sloop or Gourmet Italien (both recommended, but loved the latter), there was not a lot of 'markup' considering it's the south of France. The scenery alone is worth the premium.

General
Yes, there is no 'beach' at the hotel, just a ladder into the amazing, changing blue hues of the Med. Get over it, or make a reservation at La Paloma or walk to the public beach which is 5 minutes away. I did not eat at the restaurant at the hotel, and I wish I had, however it appeared that slacks and a jacket were in order; unfortunately on my trip I had to pack for multiple climates, and there was little room for this sort of thing. As it is, I felt a little out of place in the evening in jeans at the hotel, and indeed at the restaurants, however I was never made to feel, or given the impression, that this was looked down upon. Fortunately I had dress shirts packed, so was able to at least make an attempt, but noticed in town it ranged from very casual to very elegant. Highly recommend just walking as far as you can on the Promenade Maurice Rouvier, the scenery is unforgettable and sometimes more than you can imagine. This was my first time to the south of France area and I fell in love with it.

My stay at La Voile d'Or was memorable, as was sleeping under the stars in the Sahara on the same trip - worlds apart as experiences - both treasured nonetheless.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Canucklehead
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

After a week in an appartment nearby, we booked in here to prolong our stay in Cap Ferrat for a few days.

La Voile d'Or has a wonderful location, overlooking the harbour at St Jean Cap Ferrat. It is in very easy walking distance of all the amenities of the town, and makes a great starting off point for the scenic walk around the coast of the Cap.

Our room was light, airy and spacious, with a nice iron-railinged balcony overlooking the harbour. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, and (almost all) spoke good English.

There was a complimentary bottle of wine waiting for us in our room on our first night, and continental breakfast, either in one's room or on the restaurant terrace overlooking the bay, was included in the room rate.

In fine weather, dinner is also served outside on the restaurant terrace. Both the view and the food are magical (though, if you want a change, there are many less formal restaurants only a short walk away). There is also a nice bar with a knowledgeable bar tender.

The hotel has a private beach, and serves lunch there in the summer. However, the area is a small one, and you have to book everything - even sun loungers - in advance. Also, the beach restaurant takes itself as seriously as the hotel's main restaurant. So it is crowded, expensive, and not as relaxed as a hotel beach area should be. Even the staff there were a little more arrogant and less helpful than elsewhere in the hotel.

But that was the only- very minor - "niggle" during our stay. Otherwise, everything was delightful, and we left feeling thoroughly pampered and rested.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Hotel Royal-Riviera
Hotel Royal-Riviera
#2 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Hotel & Spa la Villa Cap Ferrat
Hotel & Spa la Villa Cap Ferrat
#3 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & Spa
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & S...
#1 of 14 in Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Club Delcloy
Club Delcloy
#5 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Hotel L'Oursin
Hotel L'Oursin
#8 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Chateau de la Chevre d'Or

Been to La Voile d'Or? Share your experiences!