“Gorgeous”

Price range: US$25 - US$100
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is a tough one. My husband would give this 5 stars, but I think the prices are a bit extraordinary so am taking a star off. The food is good, the setting magnificent, the service attentive but not snobby but if you decide to go you have to think of it sort of like a tourist attraction.
We paid 175 euros for lunch, that is a lot. I had sole, my husband lamb, we each had a salad and a glass of wine, shared a dessert and each had coffee. But still, 175 at lunch....(about $240 American at the time)
The great thing is you are in a different world. There is history and the inside dining room is hung with art from the greats. My sole was deboned at the table with great flair, the lamb chops perfectly done and attention was paid to the sun, getting us coverage when needed but taking it away when the waiter felt we didn't need it and it actually made us warmer.
There are so many people waiting on you, I couldn't tell you exactly who our waiter was...
It is gracious and fun but I did feel a bit perfunctory, they know why people are coming. We could easily have spent more with some appetizers at 35 euro. But it was a great little bubble to be in and I'd probably go again, maybe do dinner next time - but first I have to hit the Casino at Monte Carlo and win big. The village is a great place to walk around after or before, more interesting items than just your usual tourist fare - they do have that as well but my husband got a great Panama hat and I found 2 dresses while wandering.

1  Thank Terry A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,055)

Reviewed 9 October 2013

This restaurant s OK, but they seem to be relying on their reputation to charge the highest prices for an average meal.

1  Thank Jaduong_wilson
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Outside dining at a 5 star restaurant!!! The atmosphere and food were excellent. We chose the sampler appetizer and had to be reminded by the cordial waiter that we did not have to eat all of the samplings! We had an entre to follow!!! Just magnificent service, food presentation and food taste. A pampering for any vacation. Reservations for lunch are a requirement and suggested to be made multiple weeks in advance.

1  Thank Bill F
Reviewed 5 October 2013

sitting in the sun out on the terrace. Lovely food and wine. A real must do when in this part of the world, but make sure you book well in advance !

1  Thank Munchies0412
Reviewed 2 October 2013

St. Paul de Vence is busiest at lunchtime. Even so we took the precaution of booking several months in advance for Dinner seated on the terrace.

The setting is magical. The tables are arranged so that you do not feel intruded on by neighboring diners. I had the Crudities to start. The huge basket of vegetables were unexpected as I hadn't' read any reviews just going on the restaurant's reputation. I even found a hard boiled egg at the bottom of the basket. My husband had the vegetable soup. Served at your table with refills thanks to our attentive waiter.

We shared the rack of lamb, simply cooked and carved at the table. It was a delight watching professionals, who obviously took a pride in their work, in their element. I have since seen reviews, some of which talked about rude and indifferent staff. There was definitely no evidence of this on the evening we were there. The rack of lamb was amongst the best we have had anywhere in the world.

We had asked the restaurant to send us their priced menu in advance so we knew what we were in for. Prices include service. Frankly the prices generally in the area are fairly high so we were pleasantly surprised that the delta wasn't so big. We always feel that a quality restaurant should have a good house wine. It was perfectly acceptable and no one made us feel inferior because we were not going for a more expensive option. We did notice the table for four near us had managed two bottles of champagne before starting on the wine. So much for the big spenders. There was a complimentary small glass of liqueur served with coffee.

We could only manage sharing the apple tart for dessert but as we were leaving we saw the soufflé and wished we had made room for it.

Definitely recommended for a special night out. I suspect lunch might be more hectic but for a romantic evening it was the highlight of our stay.

1  Thank LucyRichmond