“Lovely to be back!”

Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
“Lovely to be back!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I tried to book a table for Sunday lunch the day before dressed in Marks and Spence shorts and top. I was told, very politely, that they were fully booked. I returned the next day, dressed far more smartly (with baggage in tow) and had a very different experience.
My baggage was put away for me and I was immediately taken to a table. The welcome was excellent and the service equally impressive.
As a lone diner, one never quite knows how things are going to go. I was not treated any differently to any of the other diners. I was very happy with my food and wine. It was, as expected, well executed, freshly made and dare I say, simple food at its best.
I have visited many times over the years with my late husband friends and my daughter. It is one of the most beautiful restaurants in the world and you will not be disappointed - my advice is Go there!!!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank EVANSIONA

• Turkish first
Cardiff
“First meal”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We drove up to Vence straight from the cruise ship as a reunion of old friends. It was a perfect setting sitting in the garden in the sunshine.
We shared one portion of hors d'ouvres which was enough and more. The basket of unprepared vegetables seemed to be for show.
The lobster salad was amazing and well prepared and the salmon quenelles full of flavour.
Having seem desserts we had to order a couple to share.
A lovely way to start out holiday and spend a few hours. We had a wander around the beautiful garden and admired the art work.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank vicky53cardiff
Melbourne, Australia
“An experience we'll never forget - amazing artworks”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We dined at this outstanding restaurant in April 2014. We'd read about it in the Gourmet Traveller but never thought we'd be able to get a booking for dinner. John, the host from Villa St Maxime booked a table for us - we can't thank him enough. The service and ambience created by La Colombe d'Or dining staff was fabulous. The meal itself was delicious and plentiful. The special entree of fresh vegetables, breads/butter and 14 interesting dishes was a sight to behold and though for one it was enough entree for about 10 people!

Our mains were delicious too as were the wines.

A true culinary and art experience - one we'll never forget.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Candida W
York, UK
“Pretentious and Bad Food”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The location and outdoor setting is beautiful, the hotel has a legendary story, but...

The menu is printed on unwieldly A3 sized sheets in a way that leaves you confused about which dishes are starters and which are mains.

We ordered the selection of starters and received a collection of mediocre dishes; roasted onions, lentils, black pudding, pickled fish, pickled cabbage, etc. it was like a collection of cold leftover condiments from a student's fridge. Not a single dish of the 15 or so dishes stood out as even 'good'. The worst part was the basket of whole, sorry looking, unprepared veg that had been previously picked at by another table, probably on another day. With no tools provided, what do you do with a long black radish and a raw artichoke? There was nothing in the range of starters to dip them in!

For main I had the poussin and chipolatta. Which involved one poussin, one chipolatta, some dauphinoise potato and 3 tiny chunks of raw broccoli. Not sure why it was raw. The dauphinoise and poussin were astonishingly flavourless (I would struggle to recreate the flavourlessness in my own kitchen) and they swam in an acrid brown water that made the dish inedible.

The meal rates in the top 5 worst meals I've ever had. All my companion's meals were equally grim or underwhelming.

6 Thank mnovember9
Sentosa Island, Singapore
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We had lunch here on Sunday. Everything about it was wonderful. We had booked a table on the terrace. We arrived a little early and were shown straight to our table and the waiter took our order for drinks. We sat in the sunshine and happily studied our menu in between people watching and sipping our drinks. I had asparagus followed by chicken fricaise. The portions are generous, the presentation was good and the food was delicious. The waiters were very attentive without rushing you. The whole place is beautiful, the paintings were just amazing. I just can't wait to go back.

• Visited March 2014