“Hidden away gems”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in St-Paul-de-Vence
London-Brighton
“Hidden away gems”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Two of us stayed here at the end of November. It was low season, we're the only guest and they upgraded us to the best room. Ideally you need a car to stay at this place. We love this place because it's quiet with a great nature view, yet only few minutes drive to St Paul de Vence and about 15-20 mins drive to Nice central. The family is super friendly, welcoming us like friends. They are very helpful giving tips for the surrounding area. They are an artist family, the place is nicely design, their artworks are all over the property. I really recommend this place but in the same time I wish not many people know about Toile Blanche and keep it as a secret. They only have 6 rooms, so even in the full capacity, it won't be crowded. The pool looks great but it was winter when we were there so I didn't use it. We are going here again in May and really looking forward for the pool and sunbathing time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luv2ravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The reviews here explains the luxury you can expect to receive upon entering the guest house.

Sadly we arrived very late in the evening due to a delayed flight, and left quite early after breakfast the following morning. However our 15 hour stop showed us quite enough and we were happy to leave.

We arrived at the property at 10:30pm and the gates were locked up and we couldn't find a way in for half an hour! As another reviewer mentioned, there was no way of finding out how to get in through the gates. My partner and I rang the keypad multiple times (about 10 times for 20 minutes??), tried to push the gates with our hands, my partner jumped over the 2 meter brick wall, and then tried knocking on doors/windows - all to no avail. Finally we went back to the car and honked the horn quite a few times to wake them up! By the time we finally got inside it was well after 11pm.

When he finally came out, I was told immediately that it was actually MY fault for amending the booking from 2 nights down to 1 and he therefore assumed we were not coming - did he think he should just taking our money and not allow us to stay??

Although we apologised for arriving quite late in the evening due to the delayed flight, after all the drama with jumping over fences and ringing their doorbell multiple times etc we received no apology from them for taking our money and locking us out. Strangely, my cancellable rate on booking.com was no longer cancellable 2 WEEKS prior to the booking so be careful to read the fine print if you are reserving through booking.com

The breakfast was 30 EUR between 2 people - we were not told about the charge, just simply asked "do you want breakfast?" It was just juice & coffee, bread with cheese + jam. I could have got this in the supermarket for 5 EUR! I would recommend driving to St Paul de Vence and have a hot brekky there instead as that is a lovely scenic town in close proximity to the property with better food for less cost!

The guesthouse is advertised as St Paul de Vence. It is not located there, but about 10 minutes drive out of the outskirts, but to get here in the first place a car is definitely required. Just don't expect to go for a stroll in the village as you will need to drive there. The property itself is in the middle of nowhere.

The products in the bathroom are Clarins branded so quite good quality! The shower over the bathtub has no shower screen so water will spray everywhere - be careful!

Finally, there is a horrible naked life-like female mannequin right next to the entrance of the front door. Gave me a fright multiple times - straight out of a horror movie.

Room Tip: we stayed in the "little room" and it wasnt so little!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ach0087
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The hotel is a five minute drive from St. Paul de Vence (45 min walk) and in a pleasant location though it wasn't easy to access and is poorly signed. The main gateway was locked with no information to notify guests that the hotel was to be accessed via a keypad to the parking area. The room (5) we were allocated was large, clean and well appointed though the liver tinted concrete floor and mushroom coloured interior and metallic furnishings didnt "do it" for me personally. I have stayed in plenty of boutique hotels and like modern art but the atmosphere of the room was too contrived and it was not a space to feel relaxed or nurtured in. That said, the bathroom was well laid out though oddly there was no door or screen between the bed area and bathroom. If you have any inhibitions and like to retain a sense of mystery on bathing this could prove uncomfortable. The balcony area would have provided great views if the planting had been trimmed to allow for this but alas, this was just one example of how the hotel was suffering from end of seasonitis,
We had booked through "Booking.com" and the description of the hotel referred to an outdoor pool and a Tapas restaurant, bar. restaurant (a la carte). The pool (seasonal) was full of dirty green water and whilst it was early November, I was visiting Nice for its late summer sunshine, of which there was plenty, and well aware that other hotels offering outdoor pools still had theirs open and available for use. This one quite clearly had not been in use for months. There was no Tapas restaurant (or any restaurant facility open) and we were directed to go up to St Paul de Vence to eat. All fine and dandy except that driving involves travelling uphill, negotiating a hairpin bend and a narrowed single track road at one point on this unlit high highway.I found this difficult having recently undergone an eye operation. When I spoke on leaving to the "lady" of the house, "Caroline"? I was told that the Tapas restaurant had not been open for 4 years and that I was the first guest to comment upon its absence!. The same charming lady told me that I had no right to complain about this because the hotel's own updated independent website explains that there is a restaurant on site for only three months of the year and she could not be responsible for what appeared on Booking.com! She also told me that the rate I was paying was discounted and had I ordered breakfast (at 15 Euros each) she might have been more inclined to listen to my (calmly expressed) concerns.
There is a major problem with Room 5 in the annexe. There is no insulation between this and its neighbouring room (to the right). Thus, when our neighbours used their bathroom and showered it sounded as if they were actually using our own. When they engaged, not unreasonably in conversation in the quiet of midnight, I could have joined in without raising my voice. I didn't actually feel inclined to do this as their voices had woken me up, though it was not their fault but the absence of reasonable soundproofing. I asked the delightful Caroline if she would like to come to the room to test this out as she appeared to disbelieve my account of this phenomenon when I described it. She was not prepared to do this and I was left wondering why.
The bar area of the hotel was in disarray, unattended and dirty. The chairs and outdoor seating were mottled with mould and all the cushions had been removed. The family's four year old was a sweet lad but he could have upset a less robust guest when he was allowed to stalk and fire his toy gun with a loud "whoop" unexpectedly from behind us as we sat outdoors trying to relax. There were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room and whilst a kettle was provided on request along with a couple of cups it became apparent later that we were regarded as "cheap skates" for not buying drinks or the hotel's overpriced breakfasts ("on special request").
In all this was a disappointment as I had read the Booking.com guest reviews and they were highly favourable. I now realise that this is because Booking.com screen reviews and what passes their commercial censor appears. My complaints on the last day of the absence of key facilities at the hotel (I had hoped to swim, but if this was unreasonable given the lateness of the season, I was at the very least hoping not to travel each night to eat out and had chosen the hotel because it offered a restaurant) were met with an arrogant rudeness. I was told I had a "nerve" to complain; that I was staying at the hotel at a "discount"!!; that the hotel were not responsible for the hotel description on Booking.com; that I was wearing a cardigan so would never have used the pool had it been open!!. I left at that point having sought to reach an acceptable arrangement for a modest reduction (380 Euros with a proposed reduction of 100) with the lady Caroline refusing to contemplate any deduction whatsoever; telling me I was the first guest to note the absence of a restaurant and that she would be taking the full payment from my debit card notwithstanding that there was a dispute regarding this. I left in shock and disbelief and shall now never return. I am waiting to hear from Booking.com. I remain hopeful that they will resolve this matter without seeking to rely upon their t & c's for not bearing any responsibility for their facilties desciptions, We shall see.
JS, Derbyshire, UK

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Josephine S
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 19 October 2013

A bit difficult to find without GPS but very pleasant and extremely well run
The host and hostess are most accommodating and do everything possible to make your stay convenient and comfortable.
It is relatively small and in a very peaceful location just outside the very charming village of St Paul de Vence

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
bristol
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We recently returned from a five night stay at Toile Blanche. It is a serene experience. Caroline and her family are the most wonderful hosts, attentive but discrete. The location is stunning and so relaxing. We arrived late in the evening after getting lost in our hire car. Caroline intuitively booked a restaurant in the village and a taxi without us asking! This set the tone for our stay. All of the restaurant recommendations we received from the family were amazing, particularly Alain Llorca. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. It was a delight to stay here.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Toile Blanche is located just outside the old village of St. Paul de Vence, an arts Mecca in Europe. We stayed in September, just past peak season. This sophisticated bed and breakfast is owned and managed by the Leroy family, who hail from Belgium and bring the warmth of their nation with them. Among the family are the Leroy Brothers, the three sons, all artists who work collectively. Their art decorates the property, and we were fortunate to visit during their show at the renowned Guy Pieter Gallery in St. Paul de Vence during our stay.

The restaurant at Toile Blanche closes for the season on September 15th, so we were able to enjoy it on its closing night only, but the food was lovely and very sensitively prepared. We found ourselves wishing we'd arrived earlier in the month!

There are 6 rooms only at Toile Blanche, so this is an intimate experience, not for those who prefer large, full service hotels. We stayed in Room 6, the farthest of 3 newly constructed rooms. It was comfortable, quiet and spacious, with a private terrace and an enchanting view.

Caroline Leroy, the daughter in law of owners Daniel and Nadine, manages the hotel business. She was thoroughly delightful--a kind and lovely woman who was helpful in any and every way.

Room Tip: Room 6 is private and very quiet with a large soaking tub.
1 Thank Rosemary-NY
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Or this is how I would describe TOILE BLANCHE after a stay of 4 nights.

The location is idyllic: quiet, green surroundings, but still close to some great villages. The hotel itself is just perfect: nice clean rooms, a fabulous terrace where you can have a great long breakfast in a beautiful setting and very comfortable sunbeds near the swimming pool. Really everything you need for a relaxing couple of days in the sun.

But most remarkable is the fantastic hospitality, from the warm welcome to the personal approach by the family Leroy-Morel every minute of the day, fulfilling all our needs.

These 5 days totally exceeded our expectations - we will certainly come back and I can only recommend this as a small paradise to anybody!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near St-Paul-de-Vence
Le Hameau
Hotel Le Saint Paul
Hotel Le Saint Paul
#6 of 12 in St-Paul-de-Vence
Chateau de la Chevre d'Or

Been to Toile Blanche? Share your experiences!