“R&R at its finest” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Saint-Raphael
New York City, New York
“R&R at its finest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

What a great experience! We booked last minute not knowing what to expect aside from the online photos which were appealing. We arrived at the gate and were allowed access, upon entering we were greeted by the hostess who took care of everything and showed us around the property, including our room in front of the rear pool (deluxe terrasse, Degas room) - simply gorgeous and appreciated after our last two nights staying in tiny rooms.

We went directly to the jacuzzi adjacent the main pool and were greeted by a waiter who took our wine order. The wine came out with a complimentary snack. I could really go on and on about the service and tranquility of this "resort" but to keep it short I will say this:

We felt like we were the only guests even though they were booked. This is due to the layout and many secluded areas around the property. The service was impeccable and we felt pampered even though we weren't there long enough to take advantage of it all.

Only regret- not staying long enough.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Skych8ser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Finnish first
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Everything was perfect: restaurant, room, service. But the staff was simply superlative: friendly, always smiling, and up to help and make you happy! There's have never been one time they said no to one of our request!!! Definitively THE place to stay in saint raphaël.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank chrbadguy
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I cannot vouch for the hotel side of things as we were not guests. But we dined as a table of 4 on two consecutive Fridays. Both times the tranquil setting was marred by a below par dining experience. The flowery descriptions simply do not match the visual and gastronomic realities. If the starter is a ravioli then I want a stuffed piece of ravioli. Not a square of pasta underneath the main ingredients. Its almost as if the chef tried to assemble the starter then just gave up. But its really the desserts that are a big let down. They sound great on paper but reality is a very different matter. Employ a full time pastry chef for this kind of money. Otherwise visit one of the excellent patisseries nearby and buy in the desserts.
The rather demeaning table service is so old school. If I want the cheese board AFTER the dessert please do not chastise me for not following French ettiquette. But rather discern from this that we were unimpressed by the desserts and so opted at our expense for the (excellent) cheese board to take away the memory of the dessert.
Living on the Cote d'Azur we are unlikely to take advantage of the stunning rooms each with "to die for" views. But we had hoped for a better meal than this.
The relaxed staff allowed us to make full use of the lounge chairs and we felt like Lords sleeping off our meal infront of the seaview. Thank you for a wonderful lunch experience. But get your act together regarding desserts. Make the descriptions fit the reality of the eating experience. Otherwise people will be disappointed.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank mark j
Brighouse, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Exceptional
13 July 2014

We spent a wonderful week at La Villa Mauresque and celebrated our 40th Wedding Anniversary there. The hotel itself is a haven of peace and tranquility with beautiful clean, comfortable rooms and a fabulous garden. We had the Kandinsky room which was tucked away in a quiet corner overlooking the children's pool.. The staff are amazing!.. they are hard working, caring and friendly. They helped make our Anniversary a day we will always remember

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janet B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Perfect setting straight from a Fitzgerald novel. Beautiful grounds fronting the Mediterranean and a Moorish-style mansion that has been re-fashioned into a top-flight hotel. We had two rooms, Shakespeare-- which looks out on the adult pool and waterfront and Appollonaire which is tucked in toward the garden but has its own terrace and hot-tub (which is more private, though the room is smaller). Both rooms featured excellent bathrooms and were well-appointed.

There are two pools and 3 jacuzzis. Seating and sun-beds are scattered throughout the property and as a result, it often feels like you are the only ones in residence. Regretfully we weren't able to take advantage of as many of the amenities on the waterfront (should have booked a longer stay), but the massage offered at waterside was ideal.

Special notice should be made of the staff in the front office worked tirelessly to ensure that our stay came off without a hitch. They were amazing from start to finish.

Room Tip: Appollonaire is a good choice for couples looking to get away from it all. Shakespeare is a bit mor...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank acmes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Lunch out on the terrace over-looking the most spectacular sea views! The food is exquisite, using the finest ingredients, fresh produce and delicate flavours. I had a risotto to start, which had a twist of mediterrean flavours and was creamy and luxurious, followed by lobster, which was cooked to perfection! What a treat! The service was excellent too, discrete and attentive. I highly recommend going, this place is a gem.

Room Tip: This boutique hotel offers all types of rooms, which are all equally beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The idea was to treat my girlfriend and myself to a post-birthday mini-break in the Cote D'Azur. I found VM online and liked what I saw so took the plunge and booked a four night stay. Having travelled the World and the Seven Seas etc, I'm happy to stay in cheap or expensive accommodation alike and adjust my expectations accordingly. I was expecting VM to be pretty good but it exceeded every expectation and made for an unparalleled break, the kind you read about in travel magazines with flourishes of hyperbole which you never quite believe. VM is truly superlative and returning to a drizzly grey Autumnal London (at the end of May) was truly depressing and disheartening.

But enough of that, back to sunny South of France. The VM grounds are luscious and set behind closed gates giving an immediate feeling of privacy and seclusion. There are three jacuzzis (sounds tacky but absolutely isn't) and two swimming pools, the main one of which overlooks the infinitely dramatic Mediterranean which is literally a stone's throw away and which can be accessed through a boathouse. Similarly, our room overlooked the Mediterranean and offered a room with a view to satisfy EM Forster or anyone else, for that matter. The room itself was modern in design with a traditional but hip twist, again, something that would not be out of place in a travel magazine. A set of drawers was decorated with what looked like the Gucci insignia (but lacking the lettering) and the shower gels etc were from Hermes and in this respect, VM offers access to the best parts of a designer label type lifestyle, rather than the worst or, indeed, anything in between. With this in mind, it might sound contrary that the room also had its own jacuzzi but, somehow, it just felt right; the elegance, the opulence, the luxury, the bubbles. I'd like to say I splashed out on the most expensive room in VM (this, the Baudelaire, was it) but in fact, the management generously gave my girlfriend and I a free upgrade, which is actually the reason I'm writing this, tit for tat et al.

The VM has no bar but it does have a restaurant and if you're staying in the aforementioned Baudelaire room (or a couple of others), it's literally down some stairs. Such proximity caused the slightly surreal event of my girlfriend and I dripping through the restaurant in our bath towels after an extended jacuzzi session on our first night but, apart from a couple of highly amused smokers, no-one batted an eyelid.

We booked a table on Saturday night for 8pm and opted for the 9 course degustation menu, asking the waiter to serve us with what he thought were appropriate wines. I'm not sure if the restaurant has a Michelin star but the chef does and, with my hand on my heart, I can truly say this was one of the best, if not the best meal I've ever had. My girlfriend felt similarly. After a couple of 'amuse-bouchons', we ended up having 11 courses. As I remember it these included: foie gras, parmesan risotto with truffle in it, lobster, John Dory, veal sweetbreads, a selection of local cheeses, pre-dessert and then a praline/chocolate mousse with a sesame seed snap with an amazing ginger ice cream wrapped within. We finished 4 and a half hours later, our palette blown to happy pieces.

This is a quiet, beautiful place where the whitewashed Arabic looking Villa (containing the restaurant and four of the rooms) stands proud and elegant over its beatific grounds. My girlfriend and I spent our time sunbathing, swimming, taking jacuzzis and saunas and contemplating the Mediterranean, listening to the hypnotic, rhythmic caress of its waves. The staff were generous, friendly, had character and genuinely seemed to enjoy their work. Together with this unique setting and superlative restaurant, the Villa Mauresque is one of the few places in the world where I'm genuinely happy to say offers a most fantastic 5*, 10 out of 10, 100% joyful experience. If you had any doubts about coming here, have them no more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SRumley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Raphael
BEST WESTERN Plus Hotel La Marina
San Pedro
San Pedro
#8 of 39 in Saint-Raphael
Royal Antibes Hotel, Residence, Beach & Spa

Been to La Villa Mauresque? Share your experiences!