“Hotel visit 2013”

Hotel La Residence de la Pinede
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Saint-Tropez
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stay in two 5 star hotels for a month every year in St Tropez with various members of our family.We were heading out for dinner at the Hotel Belle Rose (excellent food,view and service),so called in at La Pinede for a drink with a view to staying next summer.As we walked through the entrance we were stopped and asked if we were staying,we explained the reason for our visit and asked where we might take a drink."Nowhere unless you're dining with us".Taken aback we walked out onto the terrace where only 2 people were sitting,to be confronted by a member of staff who escorted us out of the hotel.We asked to see the manager at the front desk in order to explain we were thinking of staying in the hotel but were told by the concierge? that he too would ask us to leave as we weren't dining in the restaurant.I am writing this because so far I have mentioned our ordeal to many of our friends who stay in St Tropez and upon reflection I thought it only fair that the owners should be aware of our experience in order to perhaps retrain their staff and take a serious look at their attitude.
There are several superb hotel schools close to our home in Switzerland where I am sure the staff could spend their winter learning how to treat customers.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank paulmontreux
ORaveyre, Directeur général at Hotel La Residence de la Pinede, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Sir or Madam,

Many thanks for bringing this issue to my attention. I am very sorry to read you had such a bitter experience of our property whilst trying to access the bar. Indeed our bar has very limited capacity and we decided to restrict the access to ensure availability and privacy to our hotel resident and clients from the restaurant.

Please accept my sincere apologies if you felt our colleagues did not talk to you in an appropriate manner. At La Résidence de la Pinède we pride ourselves to treat our clients with kindness and warmth and I apologise if you had the impression this was not the case.
Be assured that the matter will be investigated accordingly and addressed to the concerned.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally on my email below should you consider returning to La Résidence de la Pinède. I will make all necessary arrangements for you and ensure we restore your faith in us by experiencing the hotel and its services.

manager@residencepinede.com

Reviewed 27 September 2013

My daughter, wife and myself had booked a suite in this "5 star hotel" in St Tropez.
5 nights in august 2013. We booked via the website and requested a nice seaview looking room.
No problem, price was extremely high: 1800 Euro per night, however incl lunch.......
When we arrived, they brought us to the second floor of a kind of dependance.( house beside the hotel) We have to use 2 very small high stairs ( no lift available !!) to arrive in "our suite.".....The suite had a nice balcony but that was all.
The roof was not even 2 meters high, and had a very small window. It was a terrible space, you could not mention this a suite, even not for a 2 star hotel !
Toilet? wel for a woman may be ok, but for man absolutly not. The roof was 140 cm above the toilet! The door who connected the toilet: 150 cm. A "bird" house on the top of a house beside the hotel
I made immedeatly comments, but there were no other rooms available and they said:that we have to be happy to be here!! It is a beautiful hotel, yes but not for us !!!
Even I talked to the director, I will not mention his name here yet, but he was quite rough and not worth to be a manager of this 5 star hotel, as he could not manage to speak to customers who are paying 8800 Euro for 5 nights!!!
We left after 1 night paying full amount with the agreement that we will have our money for the rest of the days back. Well after 5 times an email and 2 Phone calls we get the money back on Sept 17 !!!
We thought we could have 5 nice days in St Tropez in the best hotel La Residence !.......

Our advise:Be careful by booking this hotel. It looks better on the web than in reality and let the hotel staff confirm your room with a photo.

The hotel did not offer us anything, no alternatives, no discount for future stay.
very poor service. I had the feeling their slogun is: easy earning and no service
I am very disappointed with the management here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
17  Thank graafpkde
ORaveyre, Directeur général at Hotel La Residence de la Pinede, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Sir,

I am very sorry to read about such disappointment further to your comments left on tripadvisor. It is very unusual for us to face such negative appreciation of our property but be assured your comments are well taken onto account.

Indeed you booked a Mansard roof top Junior Suite located on the 2nd floor of our villa. This room is very particular as it has a low ceiling but offer an exceptional view over the bay of Saint Tropez with a large terrace, an adjoining sitting area and a beautiful marble bathroom with walk-in shower. Some of our clients are regularly staying in this room but I can definitely understand that tastes are different and that this room may not be to your liking.

Further to my investigation, it transpired that prior to your booking our reservation services offered alternative dates on several correspondences as this Junior Suite was not suitable for 3 persons. Our system is configured not to accept reservation for 3 persons for this particular room. We were surprised to receive afterwards your booking through the internet for two persons with the note of adding an extra bed. We believed you accepted the fact that the room will be a bit cosy and prepared your arrival as you desired.

Finally on your arrival, you communicated your dissatisfaction with this room to my colleague and instructed us to find an alternative. Unfortunately the hotel was fully booked. I ordered our team to contact every clients arriving the following days to reconfirm their reservation and maybe find a solution to change your allocation. Regrettably, nothing could be done.

I personally called all the other hotels in Saint Tropez hoping to find availability but as expected most of them were fully booked as well. I asked you for a chance to satisfy you and your family in enjoying our facilities. I was certain that in giving us a little time you could appreciate our property and the team would have done its very best to ensure you spend a memorable stay.

You eventually requested to leave the hotel the following day mentioning at this price you would find much better elsewhere. I informed you that it would be very complicated to find availability in Saint Tropez at this period of the year and may not find better. I noticed in your comment that you interpreted this conversation as “we are a beautiful hotel, you have to be happy here”, which is not at all what was meant.

Despite our cancellation policy and to give you satisfaction I decided to reimburse you the deposit paid that you could leave the hotel without bitterness. I apologised that no alternative could be found. I did inform you that the refund process would take a while, which at this time did not seem to be any issue.

We believe at La Résidence de la Pinède that our guest’s feedbacks are essential to identify our shortcomings and continually improve our services. I regret some of your negative comments and some of your interpretation, whilst everyone was most kind and empathic with the situation. Be assured we all tried very hard to satisfy you and we were most disappointed to fail despite all our efforts.

We very much understood as well that you expected much more compensation that we could offer. We believed that leaving a Junior Suite unoccupied for 4 nights in the middle of High Season was already a nice gesture when no particular shortcomings in our processes were identified.

Be assured that all clients are important to us no matter how much they spend. I am very sorry you did not find our response appropriate. Everyone remained kind and respectful despite threatening us several times to post comments on this website in order to obtain satisfaction with compensation. I am sorry this website has been used that way; this is neither his goal nor its value.

I hope this response will clarify the situation and I remain personally at your disposal should you consider returning at La Résidence de la Pinède. We shall do the utmost to ensure we restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I had a brief one night stay at this hotel (room 232) in September 2013. It is on the outskirts of St Tropez, less than a mile from the town, but it is directly located on the water, and there is a hotel shuttle (5 euros) that can take you into town and pick you up. Our room was lovely, with a balcony, sea view and plenty of space. The bed was very comfortable, the room lighting excellent, the shower fine. There is a 3 star Michelin restaurant Vague d'Or on the ground floor of the hotel. You have breakfast on the terrace, though at 50 euros for cooked breakfast it is hardly cheap, though to be fair it was very good indeed, with lovely bread and pastries, and perfect poached eggs. There is a small private beach.

Staff were excellent, and indeed there is very little that can be criticised about the place, though it is very expensive. This is St Tropez, so this is to be expected.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
ORaveyre, Directeur général at Hotel La Residence de la Pinede, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear Mr Hayler,

Many thanks for staying with us at La Résidence de la Pinède and assessing our restaurant "La Vague d'Or".

It was a great honour to having you at the hotel and I was extremly pleased to read that you were recommending our property in every aspect to other readers.

We hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

My husband and myself have just returned from this hotel. On the night we arrived after 10pm we were put in a very small bedroom with no privacy as it was on the ground floor [ with a sea view as requested] but we couldn't see the sea as we had to have the curtains closed otherwise anyone passing or sitting outside could see straight into our room. However we were moved to another room on the first floor with much nicer furniture and more privacy but so small.
We had hired a car so went out most days into the port and other villages where we had great food and wine. We ate in the restaurant once for dinner on our wedding anniversary which was very good but they bring so many little extra dishes that we could hardly eat our main course.
The staff are excellent especially the concierge.
We both felt that the hotel wasn't very comfortable, we have stayed at their other hotel which we thought was much better and also has a spa.

Room Tip: If you like privacy don't have a room on the ground floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra W
ORaveyre, Directeur général at Hotel La Residence de la Pinede, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your review left on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at La Résidence de la Pinède.

Indeed several rooms at La Résidence de La Pinède are located on the ground floor front of the swimming pool and the garden. Some of our clients particularly enjoyed this room and I regret you did not like. I am pleased my colleague from reception managed to change it to a higher floor for your comfort.

Your preferences were updated in your profile and we will ensure to offer you a room more suitable on a next visit.

We hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon to restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

A 10 minute walk to Centre Ville, a private beach, heated pool, great service and a spectacular 3 Star Michelin Restaurant! Then rooms that are showing their age for a 5 Star property, unsuitable for a family of younger children, breakfast that includes so much bread you could be excused for thinking you were in a Boulangerie, a small bar area and unless you like room service there is really no other choice but to eat out unless of course you take the 3 Star option. So I am a little perplexed as the hotel seems a little confused with its marketing but the 3 Michelin Stars makes up for any shortfall. It is interesting though that the hotel does charge you 5 Euros for the privilege of using the shuttle service to the port! Common guys these little things should be free!! But then again my wife received a special red rosé for her birthday during dinner as well as the staff singing her Happy Birthday which was a lovely touch!

Room Tip: Room 241 is ground level with its own pool sun beds
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr Stephen T,

Many thanks for your comments left on trip advisor and for choosing La Résidence de la Pinède to celebrate your wife's birthday.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience at the restaurant "La Vague d'Or" and I understand your comments about the dining options left in the evening. Indeed, we would love to have within the hotel a second Brasserie restaurant to cater all our client’s needs, however the structure as it is unable us to do so. As alternative, a wide room service menu is available on your large bedroom terrace as well as a snack menu at the bar.

I took good note of your comments about our shuttle service and the room’s decoration. Be assured that your feedback is paramount to continually improve and will be discussed with the concerned.

Many thanks again for staying with us. We hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon at La Résidence de la Pinède.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel a short week this summer. We enjoyed the quietness and excellent service from the employees. The food is a history on itselves, the great restaurant with 3 Michelin stars was top. But having breakfast was such a delight, with the best of all ingredients, and a private bread table! But what we will remember is the smiles from the great emplyees, especially the always smiling Sara in the restaurant. Yes, this is expensive, but it is top notch!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TottoV
ORaveyre, Directeur général at Hotel La Residence de la Pinede, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Sir or Madam,

Many thanks for your great review on Tripadvisor.

Very good to read that you found the breakfast delightfull as well as the gastronomic restaurant.

We use the best products for our breakfast, the casual brasserie lunch at "La Terrasse" or gastronomic diner at "La Vague d'Or". Our goal is to providing you all day with a unique restaurant experience.

I will pass on your comments to Sarah, who will be delighted to read that her work was so well appreciated.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I must be honest, after reading the last review I was quite concerned having booked a weekend stay. But I needn't have been.

The hotel and service were fantastic, yes - it's not to be confused with cheap, but its St Tropez in peak season.

The restaurant is stunning, probably the best we have eaten anywhere all year, but if I had one small complaint the service just needs tightening up a notch. But the food more than makes up for any minor irritation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I was very pleased that despite your concerns, you took the opportunity to come and see La Résidence de la Pinède from yourself.

It gave you the opportunity to make your own opinion of the hotel and I am delighted that you found it outstanding.

I hope I will have the pleasure to welcoming you back very soon again.