“Very polite staff in the best part of town!”
Review of Hotel La Ponche

Hotel La Ponche
Ranked #14 of 73 Hotels in Saint-Tropez
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I found this hotel on trip advisor, and after reading the reviews, I decided to stay here with my husband for 7 nights. We had a bit of trouble finding the parking garage, but parked in front of the hotel where the valet took our luggage and parked our car. He was extreamly welcoming. We checked in with the reception desk and they made it so easy and quick with a smile, not asking for ID or Credit card etc... I felt like I was being welcomed into a friends home rather then a hotel. It had a very small and cozy reception area, with fresh cut Lily flowers that made the air so fragrant. We then walked to the bar area and took a seat on the comfortable sofa chairs, ordered a couple drinks and relaxed from our 11 hour flight. The drinks were very pricey, but expected. We were pleasantly surprised when we got to our room, a re-modeled clean stone bathroom, and the room was small but clean, well decorated, fresh cut flowers facing the courtyard. The only complaints I have with the room was that the hairdryer was the kind attached to the wall that had no power and therefore I was forced to purchase a hairdryer outside of town. And we didn't know how to get the TV working and therefore never turned on the TV for the entire trip, also the power outlet in the bathroom was inop. I suppose I could have addressed this with the front desk, but I never came around to do so. During the stay, the beds were very comfortable, the air conditioner worked great, and the room was very private with thick shutters and shades to block out the morning light. I felt very secure and safe. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking to be in the best location with excellent customer service. The only thing missing was a pool and a fitness center, but it's not that kind of hotel. It's cozy and chic and I couldn't ask for much more. Thank you Hotel la Ponche for making our stay pleasurable.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I've stayed in two rooms at this hotel...a sea view room (number 15) and a courtyard room (number 5). Both were extremely clean and very nice. The sea view room had two double sinks and a huge bathtub and double closets. The courtyard one was a little smaller (one sink, one closet) but had a huge shower. The rooms, even the smaller ones, were well appointed and comfortable. My only complaint are the hair dryers. It would be nice if they had normal hair dryers instead of the ones attached to the wall. It took a very long time to dry my long hair and the handle kept getting hot. The staff was very friendly and helped us with anything we needed from reservations to helping with our luggage. They offer free wireless internet in the hotel which was a bonus. The restaurant in the hotel offers great water views and people watching. The staff there is friendly as well. The main reason to choose this hotel is the location. You can walk anywhere you need to go from this spot. There are lots of shops and restaurants right outside the hotel lobby. I would definitely stay here again if I were ever in St. Tropez.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view!
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Hard to explain the friendly and hospital atmospere of the hotel. Old building, but gives the special charm. Perfect location in the old town, close to the port. Breakfast served on the terrase with the sea view

Room Tip: Check the view from the room
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Excellent service, perfect location. Our room, number 4, had a nice view of the sea just above the restaurant. The hotel has a garage with valet parking. Value for money for Saint Tropez where prices can reach ridiculous prices. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed here as a family .. This is a 5* hotel.. very well located. Excellant rooms.. very well furnished in french style.. Luxury to have a room so big in a place like St. Tropez !
Very well located . Our room over looked onto beautiful cobbled narrow street. A great crepe place opposite the hotel where people line up in evening to get one. Harbour is steps away. Nice restaurants and bars all around.. completely chilled out !

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and were very impressed with the location within St. Tropez old town. Our window looked out onto beautiful cobbled narrow streets you were really taken to another place.

We didn't eat at the restaurant in the evening but enjoyed many drinks in the bar with canopies, the service was excellent. I regret not eating there at night, the lobster looked amazing.

I tried to dine at the restaurant for breakfast in the morning but ended the experience early without finishing my meal as my view and serene experience was spoilt by 3 separate loud bustling tour groups standing right in front of me spoiling my experience, staring at me and ruining my view. It's to be understood that the spot is popular and i don't own the rights to the view but i didn't go down for breakfast the next day, I like tranquility.

We couldn't get wifi connectivity for days whilst at the hotel. We reported it and the connectivity improved on the last day.

The building is so quaint and charming, you can easily get lost in the corridors. It's a suburb spot.

Loved the authentic crepe store opposite the hotel.

They were a bit militant, well one woman was about returning the room key at the reception desk each time i left the room which rubbed me up the wrong way it's my holiday and didn't want intensity. That was only one woman the rest of the staff were very friendly, the valet service was exceptionally good.

To sum up, great location with beautiful rooms I would stay here again and try that restaurant in the evening. Such a great view onto the ocean.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SineadR79
Reviewed 26 April 2013

We booked a junior suite in the building across the courtyard from the main hotel, but overlooking the tiny La Ponche beach. The room was large -- we guess 450 square feet -- with a couch and two arm chairs all clad in bright white nubby cotton chenille slip covers placed around a small marble table upon which a vase contained a bunch of white lilies, the scent of which perfumed the room during the three days we were there. There was a large desk on which sat a temperamental little LCD television with cable box, a chair to sit in at the desk and a lovely king bed set in a bright brass bedframe and dressed in Frette sheets and a spread matching the chairs' slipcovers.
A large bathroom with French doors that opened onto a tiny balcony facing the building next door was equipped with a large tub, a walk in shower, double sinks and a heated towel rack (great for drying hand washing).
There was a small half-height refrigerator, some utensils and crockery and a tiny two burner cook top, all of which would have allowed us to picnic in the room on the rotisserie chicken, paella and other offerings sold at the Tuesday/Saturday market in the Place de Lices, except we didn't buy anything.
The weather was perfect when we were there: bright, sunny with cloudless blue skies, just like in Vadim's "And God Created Women," which we had watched shortly before leaving on this trip that I felt that I had been there before; deja vu all over again.
The only drawbacks were finding the place (the streets are picturesquely narrow) but the staff took our car at arrival and parked it until we were ready to leave, so parking is not a problem at all, and, of course the stairs to the room would make handicapped access impossible.

Room Tip: The tiny kitchenette was a plus even if we did not take full advantage.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple