“Modern Design but small rooms...”
Review of Benkirai Hotel

Benkirai Hotel
Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Saint-Tropez
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Modern Design but small rooms...”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Benkirai is not bad but there are many things that do not fit with the good modern design. The room we had was level with the garden and the pool which is nice and good for peolple who do not mind to have people walking in front of the room. We tried the Thai Restaurant at 10pm and were offered a table which has not been cleared and cleaned. There were motorbike helmets and jackets lying on the chairs althoughnwe were the latest guests beside of the bikers. We ordered a bottle of wine from the small wine list and our two first choices were not available. After nearly giving up they brought a bottle that was corky but nobody cared. We gave up and went to our room. Nobody cared again. The Hotel did not at all meet our expectations and is far away to be a 4 star establishment although the design could match this. They have a good shuttle to town and if you are lucky and they do not have something else to do you will have a chance for a shuttle back.
But better do not have dinner in town because their shuttle is not working till late. Reception is not focused to help,and let you wait while having private talks for 30 minutes or longer.
All together average

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Benkirai Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Dear Guido07,

We would lke to thank you for your time letting us know what did not meet your expectations and thank you for the compliment on the hotel's amenities.

Most of our rooms on the ground floor give directly onto the garden or the swimming pool. I do understand that the fact thatt people may walk in front of your room or lounging in the garden could disturb you. Please note, we also have rooms on the second floor with a balcony which can provide you with the privacy you are looking.for
Since your stay in October 2011, we changed our restaurant, instead of our Thaï restaurant, we've implanted the restaurant "La Régalade" at the Benkiraï St Tropez (famous "Bistronomie" adress in Paris with our head chef Bruno Doucet). Our restaurant team can espacially advise you a wine matched with the meal you order.

Regarding to the bikers with their helmets and jackets on the chairs, that was a small group we received for a short stay.

I am sorry to hear about the shuttle service but it's a free service we offer to our guest from 9.00 am until 11.00 pm. In addition we work with a private taxi company who can bring you back at the hotel at a preffered rate if our shuttle service is not available.

I am disappointed on the service our staff at the reception provided you. We always try satisfy our clientele, and our service has to be flautless.

Don't hesitate to contact me personally for you next stay,

Julien Brosset
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Loved this hotel on our visit to St. Tropez! Very modern and clean, typical European shower where water got all over the floor..but other than that, gorgeous and serene. Lovely staff took care of us too

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Sébastien N, Directeur général at Benkirai Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2016
Dear Melissa R,

Thank you taking of your time to post your comments. We are pleased that you appreciated your stay at Benkiraï. As the new Manager of the place, we hope we will welcome you again here at Benkiraï for your next stay in St Tropez.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I was extremely pleased with my stay at Hotel Benkirai. It's a very pretty and peaceful place.

The staff were some of the friendliest and most helpful people I've encountered at a hotel. Although not in town, the hotel offers a free shuttle to the town center and Tahiti beach.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank lsickles
Sébastien N, Directeur général at Benkirai Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2016
Dear Isickles,

As the new Manager of Benkiraï I would like to thank you for taking of your time to poste these comments, and pleased that you had a nice stay. Wanted to let you know that it will help us to change for better during the full renovation planned during the closing period 2017/2018.
Hoping we will have the opportunity to welcome you again on a next visit to St Tropez.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2011

This hotel's location is very good, and we were quite impressed when we just arrived there. We reserved a standard room which cost 430 euro per night and didn't expect to be provided with a teeny-weeny room located literally in the cellar. Our cell phones had no reception in the room.The bathroom (which is the same room as the bedroom) smelled pretty awful. We could hear people from the rooms above us flush their toilet.
The floor was dirty when we arrived and nobody cleaned it throughout our entire stay, which was three days. Express laundry service was unavailable (since they do it outside the hotel). When we asked for an iron (which is usually in every room in a 4 star hotel and they have one or two for the entire hotel) they gave us a tiny one without an ironing board.
The Internet is free but it didn't work at all.

On our check-out day we woke up to find our room quite heavily flooded because it rained at night. I'm not sure how exactly it happened, but the floor was wet and so were our shoes (expensive ones). Luckily we checked out after that. When I complained about the flood at the reception the lady just shrugged and told me it had happened before. If I hand't been too tired after a sleepless night (apparently the walls are too thin and we could hear the rain the entire night) I would've called a manager and demanded to have my money back. After all it's a so-called four-star hotel and we payed enough for not having to worry about our room getting flooded. Very, very disappointing.

Although, the restaurant at the hotel is quite good (if you like Thai cuisine), the service was nice and we liked it. But I definitely wouldn't recommend this hotel. For this price we could've stayed in a suite at a three-star hotel.

Room Tip: Do not take the cheapest room. Apparently the best ones are on the first floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank victoriarayne
Dear Victoriarayne,

As the new Manager of Benkiraï I would like to thank you for taking of your time to post these comments despite the fact that you had very a bad stay. Wanted to let you know that we took good note of them and already changed and corrected some of the points. We also plan a full renovation during the closing period 2017/2018.

Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Stayed at Benkiria for 4 days in September. Great hotel with a beautiful pool and patio. Hotel is quiet and relaxing. Rooms are spacious. Try to get a room on the first floor right by the pool. Hotel is about 5 minute drive to the beach and town. Great place to stay if you want to enjoy St.-Tropez and enjoy a relaxing stay as well.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lavers2025
Sébastien N, Directeur général at Benkirai Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2016
Dear a_d_greco,

I am the new manager of the Benkiraï and wanted to thank you for taking of your time to post these comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the new team and I will continue to improve to do better...
We hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you for your next stay in Saint Tropez .

Spain
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Having arrived in the Benkirai the rooms were like shoe boxes and at 580 Euro a night which was a reduced rate I expected a little more and as I had requested a garden view I then understood that I would have to pay 30 Euro to sit by the pool, 15 Euro a day to park my car and having paid a deposit of 1.000 Euro I decided to forfeit this and move out immediately, I had a coffee which they also charged for at 10 Euro a shot, which under the circumstances I think it might have been a goodwill gesture! As at this time of year I am sure they would have been able to use the room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank maddySpain
Sébastien N, Directeur général at Benkirai Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2016
Dear maddySpain,

I am the new manager of the Benkiraï and wanted to thank you for taking of your time to post these comments. We were sorry that your stay was not at your level of expectations and a bad experience. We already changed and corrected most of the points (except the size of the room) and the new team and I will continue to improve to do better and with a full renovation planned for our next closing during the winter 2017/2018.
We hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you for a next visit in Saint Tropez .

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Not helpful, rude, the front desk guy was one of the worst employees I've ever encountered. They make you let them park your car for you (which is fine), they charge you 25 euros (which is expensive but ok), but he dented my rent a car and then denyed it. I'll never go back ot recommend anyone going there. It's totally out of the way too,

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gogo1212
Dear Gogo1212,

I am the new manager of the Benkiraï and was sorry that your stay was not at your level of expectations and a bad experience, but wanted to thank you for taking of your time to post these comments. We already changed and corrected most of the points and the new team and I will continue to improve to do better and with a full renovation planned for our next closing during the winter 2017/2018.
We hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you for a future visit in Saint Tropez .