“Excellent location, cleanliness, staff and value”
Review of La Victoire

La Victoire
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Vence
Reviewed 14 November 2012

This is an exceptionally well positioned, friendly, tidy and welcoming hotel and staff right in the middle of town and adjacent to the old city area. Parking is available opposite at significant discount and cheap. The only potential is is the small size of the rooms but as long as you are out and about this isn't and issue. The price and value otherwise are excellent as is the owner Natale.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed at La Victoire for a week at the end of September and we were totally enchanted by the hotel, Vence and the surrounding areas. As thers have mentioned, the rooms are small but very clean and the hotel is very charming with some nice decor, like the rock 'n roll theme at the entrance. The hotel is really very nicely situated and we waled the few yards to the old city every night to try out the different restaurants - off course stopping for a drink at Henry's bar (right next to the hotel). Great place to do some people watching. Vence turned out to be a great base for us to explore from. We were able to go to some of the perched villages in the Alps and explore the coastline from St Tropez to Monaco - all within easy reach. We even took a bus in to Nice for a day. We did miss some kind of bar fridge in the room as we couldn't really keep any of the produce we bought fresh. Pierre and Nathalie did keep some things in the kitchen fridge though. We chose not to have breakfast at the hotel as we prefer to try different places. We didn't realize that if you do not have breakfast, then the coffee is not complimentary - so don't make the same mistake! The parking arrangements at the parking garage across the road appeared complex at first but worked out well.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Once again Nathanlie and Pierre, who own and manage this charming hotel, showed their hospitality and personal touch. For this reason some of the writers that attended last fall's Writing Week decided to come a few days in advance to enjoy the hotel and Vence. I've booked three new Writers' Weeks in 2013 at La Victoire. The rooms are always clean and well kept, but most of all, it feels like home away from home. I highly recommend the hotell and service!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, ask them for what you need, and if available, they will arrange it for you.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2012

... just to paraphrase a well known commercial in Holland.
We loved it there.
This is a highly recommendable small scale hotel with reasonable prices and very good service. The owners are very open and accessible and give a nice personal touch to the stay without being the least pushy. We stayed there at the same time as a group of Norwegian writers who are regulars, and the whole ambiance has an artistic or creative feel to it. There are various instruments which guest can play and one evening there even was a kind of improvised mini concert.
The hotel is clean, equipped with airco and is centrally placed just next to the entrance to the old city centre. Our room was a bit small, but I don't know if that is the rule or the exception. Anyway, we only slept there.
The hotel prefers that you put your reservation through their site or that you call them, -don't use general booking sites. They speak good English, no need to worry about misunderstandings and the like.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2012

If you're following the Michelin Green Guide to the French Riviera, the recommended walking tour of Vence's old town begins at the front door of this hotel, which is located just outside the Petra Gateway through the old town walls. If your purpose is to explore the old buildings, narrow roads and hidden squares of this ancient town, this is the place to stay. It's also close to a wide selection of restaurants.
My room was small but clean and efficiently laid out. I was on my own so there was sufficient space for my open suitcase. However, a second person's suitcase would not have fitted so conveniently. The bed was particularly comfortable and, although my room faced the street, with the window closed I was not bothered by any outside noise. Breakfast was standard French, with wonderful fresh bread (on a Sunday morning!) together with a few extras.
The staff were very firendly and helpful. As soon as I made my reservation several weeks ahead of time, they sent me a welcoming e-mail and, in response to my request, they gave me careful driving instructions to reach their hotel from the Nice Cote d'Azur airport. When I arrived, the man at the desk took me personally to my room and gave me detailed instructions (in good English) about the TV, air conditioning, etc. Then and the next morning he was very helpful in every way.
A couple of cautionary notes for those who care about such things. The hotel lobby is one floor above street level. To get there, you must climb a narrow curving (indoor) starcase. Once you reach the lobby, there is an elevator to take you to the upper floors.
Also, if you arrive by car you need to be aware that immediately after you pass the hotel, the road becomes narrow and one-way leading away from the hotel. That means that, if you do as I did and only notice the hotel after you have passed it, then you are treated to a one-way journey though the whole town, after which you are faced with an assortment of signs directing you to other towns but no sign telling you how to get back to where you were on the other side of Vence. It took me 30 minutes, many kilometers and three stops for instructions before I got back to where I could try it ll again.
Be sure that as you drive along avenue de la resistance towards the hotel, keep your eyes open for the widening at the square, place du Grand-Jardin. Immediately before the square on your right you will see a turn off to the Grand-Jardin underground car park. Take it and park; the hotel is just across the street from, but 20 meters beyond, the car park entrance.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
lavictoire, Gérant at La Victoire, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on this website after your visit to the Hotel La Victoire Vence.
Driven by the constant search for satisfaction, feedback from our hosts are definitely the basis of our work.
We are therefore delighted to express the satisfaction you after your visit, it encourages us to maintain our current methods not without further reflection to improve benefits and services we offer.
In fact, our goal everyday is to provide a quality service to our customers and anticipate their needs as much as possible.
Your comments motivate us to continue our efforts to ensure that your next visit with us is - at least to the height of the last one.
Looking forward the pleasure to welcoming you again in our house, please accept our best regards.

Reviewed 10 October 2012

A nice and clean hotel, friendly staff and located in the heart of Vence. Our room was small, but in total we were very satisfied with the staff and service. Hotel is right next to the main square. Breakfast was average. Warmly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed at the Victoire some time ago but I forgot to review it at the time so am making up for that now. The Victoire is located right in the centre of Vence and overlooks the main square and the beautiful old medieval town. There is a large underground car park below the square which is staffed and monitored 24hrs and you can get discount parking with a ticket obtained from the hotel reception. The entrance to the hotel is up a flight of stairs which for us is no problem but might be an issue if your older or have problems walking etc. I don't see this as in any way a detriment to the hotel, I'm just mentioning it so people are forewarned.

The owners of the hotel, Nathaly and Pierre are a lovely couple, very warm and welcoming and always helpful if you need advice about the area, places to eat, things to see etc and of course they speak perfect English so no worries if your French is not up to par. The rooms are small but clean and comfortable and as far as I am aware all have air-conditioning. The windows are double glazed so noise from the bustling streets outside is kept to a minimum.

All in all I cannot really fault this hotel. We have stayed in many places throughout France and wider Europe and this is probably one of our favorite hotels so far. It's kind of hard to put into words but it just has "that feel" about it? Others who have stayed there will know what I mean and I have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone looking to stay in Vence for a few nights. We will certainly be back there in 2013 and hopefully at the Victoire, if it's not booked up by then of course.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the corner of the hotel which I think was on the third floor. It's a grea...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple