“Clean, Comfortable, Friendly - and Amazing View”

Hotel le Versailles
London, United Kingdom
“Clean, Comfortable, Friendly - and Amazing View”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We were here as a family of 5 for 2 weeks in August as we were attending a wedding and related events in the area and decided to make a holiday out of it. This is not a luxury hotel by any stretch, but provides good value for what you get considering location and season. If you want a clean, comfortable, welcoming, friendly, affordable, "no frills" stay, with an absolutely amazing view, Le Versailles is a good option. It is also perfectly situated to explore the surrounding towns and regions. This is a 3-star hotel that punches above its weight. The highlight of this hotel is the very large open air terrace bar/restaurant. I cannot think of a better place to have a drink and smoke a cigar, or just chill out.

Apart from breakfast we did not eat here much but what we had was fine. Truffle risotto, pasta, and a fantastic apple tart. Breakfast is adequate for what you pay. EUR12.5 for continental buffet and EUR17 for that + eggs. Poolside cafe also has a decent lunch/snack menu - the hot dogs, aubergine parmigiana, salads were fine.

We did not spend many days by the pool but if you do then I advise getting there no later than 10ish as it was busy and chairs get taken up fairly quickly during the period we were there.

The rooms were clean and comfortable but a couple of cosmetic improvements could make a big difference. Whilst one of our rooms had a shower cubicle, the other one had a bath with handheld shower, and no shower curtain/glass door. Try as one might, this always resulted in quite a wet bathroom floor. The resting place for the shower was also quite low, so one always had to hold the shower in one hand. The walls between rooms were also quite thin so one could easily hear everything from next door.

We were in rooms 355-356 with balconies. The cleaning tends to start early and as these rooms were next to the service cupboard it could get a bit noisy early on.

All the staff were very friendly and especially helpful Veronique, Stefania, and Dorothy who were primarily at Reception. And when we did have one or two issues with the dry cleaning, Veronique spoke to the staff and sorted it out for us immediately. This is a family run hotel where the owners are quite involved day to day. Daytime, Nicolas - the son - would man the pool cafe and that same evening I saw him expertly debone a sea bass in the main restaurant. Whilst the matriarch would often man Reception. The cleaning staff are quite keen, in that one person in our party was woken early despite a "do not disturb sign".

One last thing worth mentioning, one day, in our rush to get to a luncheon , we inadvertently left the safe in the room open with quite a few valuables, credit cards, and cash inside. We returned to find everything exactly as is, so very much worth mentioning the integrity of the cleaning ladies.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony and avoid a room next to the service cupboards.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Sam H H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
London
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Having just spent a lovely week at Le Versailles in Villefranche, I'm incredulous at some of the (bad) reviews on here, as they don't seem to correlate in any way with my experience! No, the hotel isn't 5* - but then I'd never be able to afford a week at a 5* in this area! - but I'd actually rate it higher than a 3* overall. It's incredibly good value and I'd recommend anyone to stay there.

The hotel is in a super location and with fabulous views across to Cap Ferrat. I had a room on the third floor (as in third floor down as the hotel is 'upside down'), which I was initially disappointed about (I had requested a room higher up), but in reality I still had a gorgeous view to wake up to each morning. Before seeing the room, reception promised to change the room when possible, but there was absolutely no need. So thanks to them for trying, and my apologies for being a nuisance at the start!!

Having settled in I made good use of the pool (one of the reasons for choosing here was the fact it had a pool, a surprising rarity in these parts) which had a good number of sunbeds around and there never seemed to be a shortage in the week I was there. There's a nice café/bar poolside where breakfast and lunch is served (I didn't have breakfast here, preferring to have a little walk down the road) and where they do a really good Croque Monsieur, which I found myself looking forward to each day! I will say though, that whilst the price of the food (sandwiches etc were 8 Euro) and drinks (beer and wine 5 Euro, coffee 3 Euro etc) were really reasonable, I did get a shock when I saw my bill on departure and had to pay 10 Euro for the side salad I had requested one day, which comprised nothing but lettuce!!

Before heading into the old town each evening we enjoyed a G&T or glass of wine on the top floor terrace, watching the sun go down and looking on as the restaurant started to fill up. I didn't eat there but it certainly seemed popular and from what I saw of the menu, pretty reasonable, particularly given the view.

My one niggle would be that there was only a hand shower, fixed low down rather than at normal height and with a screen/curtain etc. It meant showering required some skill in contortion and was a double shame as it had a great pressure and would have made for a nice start to the day! However, hardly the end of the world and I'm sure that's not the case in other rooms, so you may want to check when booking.

All in all, a great place to spend my 'significant' birthday, wonderfully relaxing and genuinely a joy. Superb value, all things considered, and I shall happily return again next year.

Room Tip: The higher the floor (eg 1 or 2) the better the view but I still had a great view from room 346. (H...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Alexandra_Hotels, Directeur général at Hotel le Versailles, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Marion,

Thank you very much for your nice and detailed feedback.

We will improve the points you have pointed for the shower. We don't like curtains as it looks very quick dirty, but we definitly have to put a window, it is already done in some other bedrooms. There must have been a mistake on the bill for your salad you should have complained about that... Sorry... Next time you will get it for free !

I am really happy you spent your significant birthday in our hotel, and that you had such a pleasant stay. As you said, even on the 3rd floor the view is very nice. I can see that you also enjoyed not only our swimming pool but also our bar and its view on the cap ferrat.

We will be delighted to welcome you maybe next season in Villefranche,

Kind Regards
Alexandra
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Having read some of the reviews before we travelled, we started to have some reservations regarding the hotel. However, we would like to say that our family room (220/221) was very clean, did not appear dated and the staff were courteous and friendly at all times. We had booked this holiday as a get away to relax after a somewhat stressful year. Travelling with two children (15 and 11) the family room was a perfect size and layout for all of us with a fantastic view of the harbour. The swimming pool is brilliant, they even provided towels. The bar, had the most fantastic view, and although we did not eat there the restaurant was very popular. The hotel is only a short walk into town, which has many great restaurants, and the walk back did not result in moans from the children. We would definitely return

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the pool are the best
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear John,

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your family. Thank you very much for your positive feedback, it is also very important for us to know you spent a very nice and relaxing stay in our hotel.
We will be delighted to welcome you very soon.
Kind Regards,
Alexandra
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I had stayed at Le Versailles four years ago and absolutely loved it. We had a large family room and the whole experience was very luxurious.

Four years on, our rooms were really quite small though still comfortable and nicely decorated, but I think the hotel is feeling a little tired from wear and tear.

The pool and restaurant/bar are great.
However, the size of our room, and the condition of it in maintenance and cleanliness was not great value anymore.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jacqui T
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Wife and I really enjoyed our 4 night stay in the hotel. The location of the hotel is perfect, with a bus stop just outside, 5 minutes to Nice, and 20 minutes to Monte Carlo along the stunning French Riviera. Walking down to the shops, restaurants & cafes on the water front of Villefranche is only a 5-10 minute walk, but a bigger challenge on way back as all up hill!
The hotel is not the cheapest but you must remember this is the South of France.
Rooms were nice, with stunning views overlooking one of the most stunning natural bays in the mediterranean. Would agree with some of the other reviewers who said that walls were quite thin within the building, but this didn't cause us any great problems.
We didn't opt to pay extra for the hotel breakfast, many bakers / patisseries close by providing an alternative.
Found all the staff we dealt with helpful, special shout to the Croatian bar man - always working with a smile on his face!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark B
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

and never written a review so I thought it was time I gave a summary of my experience. The reason I have stayed here, perhaps 7 or 8 times as a visitor to the Opera on Cap Ferrat, is that I absolutely love it, despite some eccentricities. I have also recommended it to my clients, as guests of mine, going to the Opera.

- Wonderful Location
-Great views over the bay to Villefranche - listen out for the cruise ship calling the tenders back from shore in the late afternoon - -very 'An Affair to Remember' (Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr)
-Very relaxing pool and pool area
-Great drinks terrace with views
- Bedrooms at night are very dark and lovely and cold

I don't eat breakfast here as it is very expensive and I like to get out and walk 200 yards along the road to the right, past the bric a brac stalls where there is a nice little snack shack with tables shaded by trees.

It's well served by cheap and reliable buses to other areas of local interest, such as Beaulieu, with its Saturday Market, Villa Kerylos (definitely worth a look) and harbour flanked by lively restaurants, plus Cap Ferrat for another harbour and the beautiful Villa Ephrussi.

The corridors can be a bit noisy in the morning I suppose but I don't let that bother me.

The rooms are perhaps of variable quality but I have been in much more horrific ones in the South of France for the same price. I have never been in an unacceptably bad one here.The rooms are simple and clean with comfy beds and good bedlinen.

The hotel isn't cheap because this is a very expensive area but, compared with similar local accommodation, it isn't out of line and hotels with a pool are surprisingly rare around here unless you are going for 400 Euro a night 4 star jobs.

Sometimes the car park can be full but I just park opposite the hotel anyway. I was surprised to hear another reviewer say that there is a theoretical charge for this. Ooeer. I was not aware of that but then I have never been ticketed in all the years I have come here!

The staff - I have always found Alexandra to be charming when I have had cause for a grumble. There have been one or two people working there over the years who were not, er, well suited to the hospitality industry but the managers always follow it up if they get out of line. Mostly I find the staff charming and helpful.

This is a French hotel though, very French. That is one of the things I like most about it in fact. So don't bring your hyperactive Anglo Saxon attitudes and culture here and expect to be happy! Service is relaxed rather than slow, The staff speak English but of course appreciate an effort to speak a little French, however bad, and also appreciate a courteous attitude. As long as you get in touch with your inner French(woman/man) and relax into the flow you will have a lovely time.

Room Tip: higher floors are better and ask about the bathrooms if you are the shy type, as in some of the nice...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank linda f
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The room was nice with a good sized balcony and efficient air conditioning. However, the rooms are very noisy - the is no insulation so you can hear everything in the corridors and in the bedrooms next to yours. There is no mini bar or fridge which is inconvenient if you want to enjoy drinks on your balcony.
The customer service could be improved. The service wasn't bad but the staff were not particularly attentive or quick.
The pool and the views are the best thing about the view. The distance to the centre of Villefranche is very close and there is a bus stop outside the hotel which can take you to Nice or Monaco.

• Stayed July 2014