“Warning for Americans”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of La Rom' Antique - CLOSED

La Rom' Antique
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Annandale VA
“Warning for Americans”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were there for dinner on October 16. Do not believe any reports that they accept credit cards. At the end of dinner, they refused to accept, in order, a Capital One Master Card, a Chase VISA, an American Express card, and US dollars with a generous conversion. I was forced to accompany a restaurant employee through deserted streets at 9:30 PM to withdraw cash at an ATM. They have a very large bouncer to apparently enforce this. I left 100 euros on the table for a bill of 92 euros and ran for the door. A large group (15) of Chinese businessmen had a similar problem, although it seemed that one of them had a card that eventually went through after several cards were refused.

We are in our mid-60s and seasoned travelers, on a wine buying trip in the Rhone Valley. This was the only establishment that refused a Master Card in France. Ours was accepted at extremely rural vineyards and even gas stations throughout the Beaujolais and Rhone Valley regions. The food is mediocre and the wine list very poor, considering they are a few miles from the greatest Rhone Valley producers. An altogether appalling experience. Dine there at your own risk.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank vanative1609

Cheltenham
“What a fantastic meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife and I are enjoying a 3 week trip around France and tonight we had, without doubt ,our best meal. Overlooking the Old Roman Theatre, the setting was great. It was a bit quiet but it was a Sunday night!

The welcome was very warm and the waitress was only too happy to help in our decsion making process.

The food was just fantastic. This is a class place with a chef to match!

MN
“I want to steal the chef”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

If I could convince the chef to move to my home city I'd never eat anywhere else.

My husband and I are mid-trip for our 25th anniversary and chose this location based on the tripadvisor reviews. We were beyond delighted. I think the ohhs and ahhs coming from our table might have been embarrassing except that everyone in the place seemed equally pleased with their plates. The restaurant is small, seating about 30 inside with exposed wood beams and a stone wall, and has a patio overlooking the ancient theatre site. The service was perfect, attentive but not overbearing. Ability to order in English and have some of the French menu items explained was really helpful. Wines are available by the glass or bottle at r reasonable prices. Menu is prix-fix, at 21 or 27 EU, or a la carte for the same dishes. Each prix-fix menu had 2-3 selections available from each category, so you can mix it up a bit. Portions are very good sized, and we left completely full, yet I kept thinking just one more bite of the lamb and gravy because it was so addictive.

We each tried the 21EU menu - a bargain given the quality of the food, giving us one of each option (there are 2 starters, 2 entrees, 2 desserts on this menu). I had a hard time sharing my half in every instance because it was so delicious, but then we'd swap plates and the second item was equally amazing.

Here's what we had:
Starter of pumpkin soup - one of the nicest squash soups I've had, which paired great with the white Rhone house wine
A terrine of pork with a dressed baby spinach that paired well with the house red
Entrée of lamb confit on smashed potatoes encircled in a gravy I'll dream of for years
Crispy salmon on lentils - I like lentils in soup, but these were so flavor infused it was like nothing I've had before
Toffee crème brulee - wow
Cheesecake with orange and berry glaze with a nice firm texture not typical of the US style cream cheese based cheesecakes
A couple of coffees with dessert, and we each started with a glass of white Chateauneuf-du-Pape white, one of my favorite wines that can be hard to find in the US

So in conclusion - I highly recommend la rom'antique. We agreed, it's possibly one of the best meals we've had with every item carefully prepared to perfection. The chef was checking in on guests here and there, and seems modest given his talents.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“THE BEST food in Orange, France!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife and I are on our 25th wedding anniversary tour, and we really want things special – La Rom'antique was perfect, both THE BEST food and a quaint, romantic atmosphere (not to mention a small personable staff who is vested in your satisfaction).

First, the food. To die for. They took my favorite "prix fix" menu approach. There are 2 menu tracks to build your 3-course meal. They offer a medium-end and a higher-end where you pick from two appetizers, entrees, and deserts (that's 2 picks in each of the two classes). My wife and I picked from the medium-end (so we essentially picked all of it and shared). In each course, both were amazing, and one of them stood out as possibly the best we'd ever tasted. Below descriptions of the favorites, but all were outstanding.

We were bowled over by an amazing Pumpkin with Pumpkin Seed Soup. Wow. Within the top 2 best bowls of soup I've ever had. Magic. (Interestingly paired extremely well with their White Cote du Rhone, which I never would have guessed).

Of the entrees, the Lamb and Mashed Potatoes was quite possibly the very best thing I have ever eaten in my whole life! I mean that literally, not just as an expression that I liked it a lot. It kind of scared me it was so good. It was so unbelievably good that I got almost teary about it. I thought, "This is so good that perhaps nothing will ever top it, so it may be all down hill from here! I truly shuddered over the instant sense that I had never ever enjoyed a meal as much as I enjoyed that lamb. (This dish paired extremely well with the Cote du Rhone Red, which I normally don't covet, but it was a great match.)

Then came the Crème Brûlée, which was phenomenal. Crisp caramelized surface and fluffy underneath. Perfect. (I enjoyed a Café Creme with that.)

The ambiance was quaint and approachable, yet you knew it was going to be high-end quality food. The restaurant happens to be right across the street from the Orange Coliseum. Picturesque, romantic. Small, so get a reservation (but we were walk-ins and got a table). The staff was very nice, friendly to visitors. (I think they had outdoor seating at certain times but I'm not 100% sure.)

Orange is a region known for its white wines, so we started our night with a glass of Chateauneuf de Pape Blanc, which is regional and wonderful. The wine has the buttery oakiness of a Chardonnay, but dryer, and with a substantive Viognier tanginess. Fabulous wine for a fabulous establishment.

Thanks, La Rom'antique for giving us a very special dinner experience for our anniversary vacation, and we will recommend you to every personal friend we have who's traveling in or your area.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“wonderful find in Orange”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

The service is outstanding which set the tone for the wonderful meal. I had salmon that was cooked to perfection with a crispy skin served on a bed of zucchini spaghetti. Seasoned perfectly.

• Visited August 2013